Whiteline rear sway bar on sport hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can ones who have installed the whiteline rear swaybar on a sport hatchback chime in on how the car handles with the bar installed on either setting? I currently have the SI rear sway bar installed with a strut bar and type-r subframe brace and love how it feels but it's starting to feel a bit soft. Debating if I should upgrade to the type-r bar or go with a whiteline 22mm bar with accord end-links.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I have the 22mm whiteline and accord endlinks. I was only able to get it on the firmest (inner) setting with the fixed-length endlinks. Some people say they've made the softer setting fit but I think it puts too much stress on the links. You really should get adjustable endlinks if you want to run the softer setting.

That being said, I love how my car handles with it as I have it setup. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the 22mm whiteline and accord endlinks. I was only able to get it on the firmest (inner) setting with the fixed-length endlinks. Some people say they've made the softer setting fit but I think it puts too much stress on the links. You really should get adjustable endlinks if you want to run the softer setting.

That being said, I love how my car handles with it as I have it setup. Highly recommend.
Thanks hobbyman. I did some research and saw your post of the calculations on how much stiffer it’ll be. I’m worried the thicker bar will promote oversteer.

Did you upgrade both sway bars or just the back?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks hobbyman. I did some research and saw your post of the calculations on how much stiffer it’ll be. I’m worried the thicker bar will promote oversteer.

Did you upgrade both sway bars or just the back?
I'm in the process of doing the front now as I have to drop the subframe anyway. I'm looking for extra front end stability, not necessarily trying to counter the rear bar.

If you're worried about oversteer I'd get the endlinks and use the softer setting, or even endlinks + Eibach bar on soft setting. Both of those will still be an upgrade over the Si bar. I've never felt unsafe or like the car was unpredictable with my setup though.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
I went from the FK8 rear bar to the Whiteline rear on the stiff setting here:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ain-installed-lateral-locks-on-swaybar.20425/

If you’re concerned about oversteer, I’d get the Whiteline rear bar with the endlinks and set it to soft and get used to the vehicle’s transition response. I don’t know your driving skills and I don’t know your tire setup but any car can be made to oversteer given the proper input, or knock on wood, something unexpected in front of you. That being said, the rear swaybar will bring that oversteer threshold much lower, that’s why j recommend getting used to the soft setting before going further.

Next I’d recommend the front swaybar to round everything off, and then the hard setting on the rear bar. Remember, only better tires increase grip. Changing things like springs and swaybars only affect where and when the weight transfers.

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in the process of doing the front now as I have to drop the subframe anyway. I'm looking for extra front end stability, not necessarily trying to counter the rear bar.

If you're worried about oversteer I'd get the endlinks and use the softer setting, or even endlinks + Eibach bar on soft setting. Both of those will still be an upgrade over the Si bar. I've never felt unsafe or like the car was unpredictable with my setup though.
Sounds good, maybe i'll look into getting their adjustable end-links prior to installing my sway bar. Do you also have strut bar paired with the RSB? Lowered? Wondering how these all will affect the cars handling. My next mod very soon will be coilovers, so maybe i'll lower the car and see how much that improves the body roll

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went from the FK8 rear bar to the Whiteline rear on the stiff setting here:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ain-installed-lateral-locks-on-swaybar.20425/

If you’re concerned about oversteer, I’d get the Whiteline rear bar with the endlinks and set it to soft and get used to the vehicle’s transition response. I don’t know your driving skills and I don’t know your tire setup but any car can be made to oversteer given the proper input, or knock on wood, something unexpected in front of you. That being said, the rear swaybar will bring that oversteer threshold much lower, that’s why j recommend getting used to the soft setting before going further.

Next I’d recommend the front swaybar to round everything off, and then the hard setting on the rear bar. Remember, only better tires increase grip. Changing things like springs and swaybars only affect where and when the weight transfers.
How much stiffer does it make steering having both bars installed? I used to hate how soft the steering felt compared to my TSX but learned to like it paired with a strut bar and Si rear sway bar.

I'm currently on stock height and stock tires but planning on getting coilovers + wider wheels with summer tires.

L8apex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SGP Sport
Country flag
How much stiffer does it make steering having both bars installed? I used to hate how soft the steering felt compared to my TSX but learned to like it paired with a strut bar and Si rear sway bar.

I'm currently on stock height and stock tires but planning on getting coilovers + wider wheels with summer tires.
Sounds good, maybe i'll look into getting their adjustable end-links prior to installing my sway bar. Do you also have strut bar paired with the RSB? Lowered? Wondering how these all will affect the cars handling. My next mod very soon will be coilovers, so maybe i'll lower the car and see how much that improves the body roll
The rear CTR bar was the first mod I did, followed by the Whiteline rear, then Whiteline front, then Tein S-Tech. No strut bars. I don't think adding stiffness to the suspension adds weight to the the steering. To be honest, with the overdamped electric assist steering nowadays, steering feel will always be numb and light.

I've driven an Si with the Whiteline anti-lift kit which also adds caster. More positive caster and wider tires/more offset wheels will give you heavier steering if that's what you're looking for.

If you're planning to get coilovers anyway, I would hold off on the swaybars. Swaybars are more of a band-aid solution than a night and day difference. The benefit is increased transitional response without an decrease in ride quality if you just added springs or coilovers. But a well tuned spring/damper set or coilover set should get you at least 75% of your handling target (after sticky tires!). Alignment and swaybars fine tune that last little bit.

OP
OP
bay_hatch

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The rear CTR bar was the first mod I did, followed by the Whiteline rear, then Whiteline front, then Tein S-Tech. No strut bars. I don't think adding stiffness to the suspension adds weight to the the steering. To be honest, with the overdamped electric assist steering nowadays, steering feel will always be numb and light.

I've driven an Si with the Whiteline anti-lift kit which also adds caster. More positive caster and wider tires/more offset wheels will give you heavier steering if that's what you're looking for.

If you're planning to get coilovers anyway, I would hold off on the swaybars. Swaybars are more of a band-aid solution than a night and day difference. The benefit is increased transitional response without an decrease in ride quality if you just added springs or coilovers. But a well tuned spring/damper set or coilover set should get you at least 75% of your handling target (after sticky tires!). Alignment and swaybars fine tune that last little bit.
Ok awesome, I'm not looking to get a track car out of this but I love how the car handles already with the Si bar, but start to want more. Thanks @L8apex , i'll hold off on the sway for now
Sponsored