chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Accord, 2021 CTR CW
Country flag
I was wondering what is the general cost to maintain a civic type r? I am planning on getting one but just want to make sure I know what I am getting into. I know the oil changes are about 10,000~ mile intervals at least from what I read. Just curious if there is anything that sticks out to be really expensive that happens constantly. Thanks!
Sponsored

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
If you stick with stock wheels and tires, those (tires) will wear out ~10-15,000 miles. Brakes also don't last very long (from what I've read) if you use the brembo pads though I'm still on the original brakes with 14k miles. Other than that, fairly normal wear and tear on everything else I believe.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Tires, brakes, oil changes. Just like any car but more often and cost a little more. Oil should be more like 7500 miles to maintain warranty but I tuned early and lost warranty so I've done every 10k on amsoil. I'm at 41k miles and still haven't done brake pads yet but due soon in the rear. Will probably upgrade. Tires I've been on 18s too long to have an opinion.

OP
OP

chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you stick with stock wheels and tires, those (tires) will wear out ~10-15,000 miles. Brakes also don't last very long (from what I've read) if you use the brembo pads though I'm still on the original brakes with 14k miles. Other than that, fairly normal wear and tear on everything else I believe.
I see, I am not too worried about brakes as far as pads as I believe that is something I could change myself. I’m assuming aftermarket pads will last longer? As far as wheels go I would probably downsize as everyone recommends on here.
Tires, brakes, oil changes. Just like any car but more often and cost a little more. Oil should be more like 7500 miles to maintain warranty but I tuned early and lost warranty so I've done every 10k on amsoil. I'm at 41k miles and still haven't done brake pads yet but due soon in the rear. Will probably upgrade. Tires I've been on 18s too long to have an opinion.
With your wheels on 18s do you’re tires now last longer like 30k miles?? Of course I understand this depends on how you drive to get some mileage like that.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I see, I am not too worried about brakes as far as pads as I believe that is something I could change myself. I’m assuming aftermarket pads will last longer? As far as wheels go I would probably downsize as everyone recommends on here.

With your wheels on 18s do you’re tires now last longer like 30k miles?? Of course I understand this depends on how you drive to get some mileage like that.
Brake pads you can do just I recommend the autel thing for maintenance mode. I ran bf Goodrich sport comp 2 for 20k and I ran them hard then got new wheels that I've only put 1000 miles on. I still have the bf tires on the old rims just some camber wear bust still good. I'm not very consistent on tires before I get new.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
its not too different in maintenance cost tbh compared to any other car as long as you take the initial hit on downsizing to 18s and getting some pads.

pad and tire life is dependent on the compound you get and not just the way you drive.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the car for 3 years and have over 60k miles. Since I still use the stock tire size and have a separate set of 18s for winter and I daily this car. I probably spent around 8k in 3 years. This includes Engine Oil & other fluid changes, Brakes, tires for summer(OEM tires only lasted 1 summer) and second set of tires for winter(winter tires only last 2 sessions in this car). if you dont need winters, the cost will go down to 4.5k-5k

OP
OP

chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
its not too different in maintenance cost tbh compared to any other car as long as you take the initial hit on downsizing to 18s and getting some pads.

pad and tire life is dependent on the compound you get and not just the way you drive.
That would be the plan is to take the hit on the wheels and just downsize to 18s. Thanks for the info I appreciate it!
I had the car for 3 years and have over 60k miles. Since I still use the stock tire size and have a separate set of 18s for winter and I daily this car. I probably spent around 8k in 3 years. This includes Engine Oil & other fluid changes, Brakes, tires for summer(OEM tires only lasted 1 summer) and second set of tires for winter(winter tires only last 2 sessions in this car). if you dont need winters, the cost will go down to 4.5k-5k
That is not too bad considering you put 60k miles on it. I would not need any winter tires since I live in SoCal so that would help out. Thanks for the info!

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Pretty much the same as a regular civic, with a Type R tax on brake pads, suspension components, and tires.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The type R tax is real if youre looking to get decent aftermarket products, but I believe there are plenty of "cheaper" options out there.

My oil changes are a bit more frequent as I do a fair amount of harder driving and autocrossing, so I usually change mine around 5-6k miles. Synthetic oil and a filter is right around $50 from a local oreillys. Some people will tell you that you dont need to change as frequently, but to me its all personal preference. Paying $50 an extra couple times through out the season is something Im willing to do.

Pads I think you can get cheaper if you want from companies like Rock Auto. I just purchased a set of Project Mu pads and they were about $200ish, definitely the most ive spent on a set of pads so far for almost any car ive owned.

Trans fluid, I switched to Amsoil which cost $60

Thats pretty much all ive done for maintenance so far. Its not bad imo.

OP
OP

chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pretty much the same as a regular civic, with a Type R tax on brake pads, suspension components, and tires.
I can understand brake pads and tires. As far as suspension component which would those be?
The type R tax is real if youre looking to get decent aftermarket products, but I believe there are plenty of "cheaper" options out there.

My oil changes are a bit more frequent as I do a fair amount of harder driving and autocrossing, so I usually change mine around 5-6k miles. Synthetic oil and a filter is right around $50 from a local oreillys. Some people will tell you that you dont need to change as frequently, but to me its all personal preference. Paying $50 an extra couple times through out the season is something Im willing to do.

Pads I think you can get cheaper if you want from companies like Rock Auto. I just purchased a set of Project Mu pads and they were about $200ish, definitely the most ive spent on a set of pads so far for almost any car ive owned.

Trans fluid, I switched to Amsoil which cost $60

Thats pretty much all ive done for maintenance so far. Its not bad imo.
I agree not too bad looks like the main thing are brakes and tires for this vehicle kinda similar to the Lexus I had.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
after changing pads and tires to some cheap long lasting compound, the biggest cost difference between a CTR and a regular civic overtime would be fuel and maybe insurance rates depending on your provider.

other components might be more expensive but how often are we really replacing these components in lets say 150k miles of driving? Probably not often.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Even tire cost shouldn't be that much more than a regular car if you buy good tires already. It only is if you keep driving on those rubber band contis and replacing them ever 10K miles. My AS3+ on stock wheels were like $300 each and the PS4S I'm putting on my NSX wheels are $250 each. A good Michelin for any car isn't far from that.

I've driven a Jeep that gets 8 mpg so the fuel economy on the R seems like a prius to me lol. On top of some added cost for consumables, don't forget higher excise tax every year just due to the price difference of the car over a regular civic.

Other than that.....its pretty civicky. I expect it to be fairly affordable outside of unexpected damaged wheels or shit I voluntarily spend on it.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is your intended use for the car? Daily driving? Will you be taking to the track?

I was wondering what is the general cost to maintain a civic type r? I am planning on getting one but just want to make sure I know what I am getting into. I know the oil changes are about 10,000~ mile intervals at least from what I read. Just curious if there is anything that sticks out to be really expensive that happens constantly. Thanks!

OP
OP

chazzer96

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
after changing pads and tires to some cheap long lasting compound, the biggest cost difference between a CTR and a regular civic overtime would be fuel and maybe insurance rates depending on your provider.

other components might be more expensive but how often are we really replacing these components in lets say 150k miles of driving? Probably not often.
Thanks, appreciate the info so it’s pretty much similar to other vehicles as stated when you get some long lasting components for brakes and tires. I’ll keep that in mind. It would just be a daily between this and an older Camry to and insurance isn’t too bad as I already got a quote. I think it was like an additional $40 to add.
Even tire cost shouldn't be that much more than a regular car if you buy good tires already. It only is if you keep driving on those rubber band contis and replacing them ever 10K miles. My AS3+ on stock wheels were like $300 each and the PS4S I'm putting on my NSX wheels are $250 each. A good Michelin for any car isn't far from that.

I've driven a Jeep that gets 8 mpg so the fuel economy on the R seems like a prius to me lol. On top of some added cost for consumables, don't forget higher excise tax every year just due to the price difference of the car over a regular civic.

Other than that.....its pretty civicky. I expect it to be fairly affordable outside of unexpected damaged wheels or shit I voluntarily spend on it.
You’re right the tires are pretty similar in pricing considering I normally get Michelin’s. Looks like the first thing I would need to do is downsize the wheels to get it last longer and cheaper pricing as well.
What is your intended use for the car? Daily driving? Will you be taking to the track?
My intentions would be to daily drive the car with minimal modifications. No performance mods as I would like to try to keep the warranty and avoid any hassle if any warranty work is needed.
Sponsored