F20C1A

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Clarity Touring and 2021 Civic Type R SGP
Country flag
I did my first oil changed yesterday at 11,000km (6835mi) while it still says 30% lol.

Used Amsoil SS 0W20 and HKS Oil Filter (Purple) -- Had a good deal for both parts from two different sources
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I did my first oil changed yesterday at 11,000km (6835mi) while it still says 30% lol.

Used Amsoil SS 0W20 and HKS Oil Filter (Purple) -- Had a good deal for both parts from two different sources
Just looked it up. I assume you're talking about the signature series correct? Pretty expensive at 52 bucks a gallon straight from amsoil and 25k optional oil change intervals. Love the read on it but that Amsoil XL O W20 Boosted is looking good at 38 bucks. Not sure yet might wait till I have a few drinks down later and buy the expensive one ?

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
Just looked it up. I assume you're talking about the signature series correct? Pretty expensive at 52 bucks a gallon straight from amsoil and 25k optional oil change intervals. Love the read on it but that Amsoil XL O W20 Boosted is looking good at 38 bucks. Not sure yet might wait till I have a few drinks down later and buy the expensive one ?
Yes their signature series lol. I paid $42.56CAD for a gallon ($34ish USD) and they MSRP at $60.85CAD

If I get enough people to chip in, I could get a drum for cheap

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Yes their signature series lol. I paid $42.56CAD for a gallon ($34ish USD) and they MSRP at $60.85CAD

What website/store. Thats a great deal

Where did you buy your oil from???

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
1. Amsoil Signature is a quality oil no argument
2. It is NOT API licenced, supposedly meets SN Plus
3. It is NOT GF-6A rated, although it probably could be
4. It's primary value is if you use it for extended drain intervals
5. Technically, it does not meet Honda's warranty requirements (not API)
6. I question any product that uses pyramid marketing

All that given, it won't hurt your engine, will most likely work well. I've used Mobil1 AFE 0W-20 and M110 filters for probably 15 years, 5-6k change intervals at a total cost of between $30-33 (actually less, I only use 4 of the 5 quarts) never used or added oil between changes, never had a engine mechanical failure. Actual Blackstone Labs reports have been uniformly excellent. There is NO magic oil, but an API Certified GF-6A rated synthetic comes close. What Amsoil has is a decent oil, with questionable marketing, I question the real value. For a small displacement DI Turbocharged engine with its inherent tendency for oil dilution, I just remain uncomfortable and unconvinced that extended OCI's are a good thing

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
1. Amsoil Signature is a quality oil no argument
2. It is NOT API licenced, supposedly meets SN Plus
3. It is NOT GF-6A rated, although it probably could be
4. It's primary value is if you use it for extended drain intervals
5. Technically, it does not meet Honda's warranty requirements (not API)
6. I question any product that uses pyramid marketing

All that given, it won't hurt your engine, will most likely work well. I've used Mobil1 AFE 0W-20 and M110 filters for probably 15 years, 5-6k change intervals at a total cost of between $30-33 (actually less, I only use 4 of the 5 quarts) never used or added oil between changes, never had a engine mechanical failure. Actual Blackstone Labs reports have been uniformly excellent. There is NO magic oil, but an API Certified GF-6A rated synthetic comes close. What Amsoil has is a decent oil, with questionable marketing, I question the real value. For a small displacement DI Turbocharged engine with its inherent tendency for oil dilution, I just remain uncomfortable and unconvinced that extended OCI's are a good thing
Respectful reply got to hand it to ya

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
What website/store. Thats a great deal

Where did you buy your oil from???
Amsoil themselves. I have a discount because I work at Honda

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Was addressing the Signature grade only, other, apparently lesser formulations, such as "OEM" have obtained API approvals. With the cost and being somewhat difficult to obtain, ultimately it's just oil, you have to be a determined and dedicated fan to use this on a regular basis. Just questioning the hype and lack of easy availability, is it THAT much better? There are several well-rated oils, Mobil1, Pennsoil, etc that meet all the newest standards, are easily accessible, usually on sale at a local outlet. From the ads and promotional YouTube videos, most of the efforts seem to elevate the Signature Series to cult/almost magical status, but apparently Amsoil hasn't obtained API certification for it. No doubt it's a good oil, but again, question the pyramid marketing, lack of easy availability and hype.

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Was addressing the Signature grade only, other, apparently lesser formulations, such as "OEM" have obtained API approvals. With the cost and being somewhat difficult to obtain, ultimately it's just oil, you have to be a determined and dedicated fan to use this on a regular basis. Just questioning the hype and lack of easy availability, is it THAT much better? There are several well-rated oils, Mobil1, Pennsoil, etc that meet all the newest standards, are easily accessible, usually on sale at a local outlet. From the ads and promotional YouTube videos, most of the efforts seem to elevate the Signature Series to cult/almost magical status, but apparently Amsoil hasn't obtained API certification for it. No doubt it's a good oil, but again, question the pyramid marketing, lack of easy availability and hype.
Lmfao "cult/magical status" I love it. I've never used amsoil either but would like to at least give it a shot. Not the signature series but the XL 0w20 that literally says boosted right on the bottle

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Lmfao "cult/magical status" I love it. I've never used amsoil either but would like to at least give it a shot. Not the signature series but the XL 0w20 that literally says boosted right on the bottle
Here is oil analysis on Boosted 5w-30 since I run ethanol. A good example why 5w-30 is recommended for ethanol lol. Before I was running 0w-20 SS and didn’t have an issue with oil thinning down to concerning levels (but that could just be because I ran on Boosted 5w-30 longer than 0w-20 SS). At the time of purchasing mistakenly bought boosted 5w-30 instead of the SS one and thought I’d test it out. Anyways here’s the results, currently have 5w-30 SS in the car now to compare results once my oil change time comes up again.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil choice. 214F794B-8F42-4117-9D38-6843454B499C
Sponsored