My radio/display is broken already? (No sound issue for civic touring)

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
**UPDATE**

Honda has issued a TSB for the Touring audio issues (specifically the no-sound issue). I had the TSB installed a couple months back and I've yet to have the no-sound issue since then. My bluetooth audio also seems to work better as I notice far fewer "skips" in the sound. Thank you Honda!!! (Now let's fix those auto wipers, they suck!)

**ORIGINAL POST BELOW**

So this has happened twice so far since I purchased my car about 5 days ago. I have the Civic Touring.

After using Android Auto, I unplug my phone from the USB port before turning the vehicle off. When I start the vehicle back up later on it gives me a message that says "device disconnected." I click "ok" and the display goes back to the normal home screen. Except now there's absolutely no sound coming out of the speakers whatsoever. I change to radio - nothing, I connect bluetooth - nothing. I plug my phone back into the USB and start up Google music - nothing. I even tried navigation and there's just NO SOUND. Of course I checked the volume.

I held down the power button on the display for a while and it asked if I wanted to reboot. I said yes. Screen comes back on - still nothing.

I turn the car off, back on. Nothing.

The first time it did this it just seemed like a glitch because I turned the car off and back on and the sound was working again. But this time I re-started the car several times and re-booted the display and there's still no sound.

Anyone else experiencing issues like this? Kind of disheartening having not even gone through a tank of gas yet....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That sounds like a phone issue. If it happens again, use the side keys to increase the audio volume. Otherwise try restarting the phone and see if the issue clears. Last step is to test with another Android phone. If the issue remains, it's likely an HU issue at that point.

I work in telecommunications. I have found that as Android phones update/overwrite themselves over time, simple commands like Bluetooth can encounter intermittent issues. In my case, the LMK (low memory killer) isn't clearing sufficient room to allow me to enable screen mirroring. So I have to manually clear it myself. These phones run pretty hard under Android Auto, so I expect these issues will become more prevalent.

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
That sounds like a phone issue. If it happens again, use the side keys to increase the audio volume. Otherwise try restarting the phone and see if the issue clears. Last step is to test with another Android phone. If the issue remains, it's likely an HU issue at that point.

I work in telecommunications. I have found that as Android phones update/overwrite themselves over time, simple commands like Bluetooth can encounter intermittent issues. In my case, the LMK (low memory killer) isn't clearing sufficient room to allow me to enable screen mirroring. So I have to manually clear it myself. These phones run pretty hard under Android Auto, so I expect these issues will become more prevalent.
What would restarting his smartphone have to do with the fact that the HU won't play radio and navigation sounds?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
My bad, I somehow read as just Bluetooth and Google Music lol. And just re-read the OP already checked phone volume.

*facepalm*

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Let Honda fell your pain: 800-999-1009. Not sure if this is a "dealers only" number but I've also seen reference to Honda In-Car Technology Support at 888-528-7876.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Can't wait to see what the aftermarket stereo install kit for this car is gonna look like. It's gonna need it.

OP
OP

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It did finally come back after the car was off for a few hours. I'm not sure what's triggering the issue and what resolves it quite yet. I'm hoping once I figure it out, I can avoid whatever it is that causes it. I'm guessing it has something to do with Android Auto and the Smartphone connection.

theevanshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Prius, 2016 Civic Touring
I experienced this issue using Carplay with an iPhone 6s Plus. The way I fixed it was to mute it and then un-mute it. If that doesn't fix it, I suppose our issues were slightly different.

In my case, I reset the unit to factory defaults and it still didn't play sound. Could change volume up and down and so on. Even FM radio didn't play sound. Only thing that fixed it was mute, then un-mute.

OP
OP

amalgamate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I experienced this issue using Carplay with an iPhone 6s Plus. The way I fixed it was to mute it and then un-mute it. If that doesn't fix it, I suppose our issues were slightly different.

In my case, I reset the unit to factory defaults and it still didn't play sound. Could change volume up and down and so on. Even FM radio didn't play sound. Only thing that fixed it was mute, then un-mute.
I will give that a shot, thanks. I don't think I realized there was a mute button.

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
Thats what happened to my wifes touring last night when we picked it up. But it was triggered by using the remote start. they prepped the car everything was fine, we where picking it up, I was killing time as they were finalizing the paperwork and tried the remote start and got in to listen to the radio, nothing no sounds. they were all baffled. they disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, everything was fine. we went out, DID NOT use the remote starter, still ok. this morning my wife used the remote starter and went to leave and again no sounds. it dawned on me that I used it last night, when she got to work she said still nothing, I told her to go out and start it using just the button and voila, it worked. she tried it a few more times and still worked. I went to the dealer this morning to explain what I figured out and there are calling honda today to see if they know why? hope this helps somehow and hopefully there is a easy fix for these issues.

theevanshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Prius, 2016 Civic Touring
Man, I wish that'd work for me, toyman70. After the mute button trick didn't work this morning, I ran out of ideas. I did use remote engine start, so I'm hoping that's not a red herring. I disabled remote engine start before driving to work. I'll go back down to parking in 30 minutes and try for audio. If it doesn't work, I suppose it's off to the dealership.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Man, I wish that'd work for me, toyman70. After the mute button trick didn't work this morning, I ran out of ideas. I did use remote engine start, so I'm hoping that's not a red herring. I disabled remote engine start before driving to work. I'll go back down to parking in 30 minutes and try for audio. If it doesn't work, I suppose it's off to the dealership.

Try disconnecting the car battery ,letting it sit, and then reconnecting.

toyman70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 element, 2016 civic touring
Country flag
just seems so bizarre that it disables it only ( so far) after using remote start)
Sponsored