Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
so i went in for my " free oil change" they came out and said i needed a new engine filter and cab filter and i had a bubble in my brand new tire i just out on back in dec.. then they said i had a oil leak.. I drove this care since Nov (last oil change ) and notice no oil dropping or anything unusual. I check my drive for any type of leak and saw nothing.. I also check the tire 5x after the con artist dealer said there was a bubble.. I saw No bubble.. tire looked brand new no issues..
then they kid said well you got 63k miles on it and that's why you have a oil leak.. im like WTF? i said it shouldn't have a oil leak with this many miles period. so should i call Honda to see what they can do? they wanna charge me $468 for both filters and new tire and oil diagnosis . My impression is these kids at the dealer are making stuff up to get a commission as well as the mechanic in the back.. I can post a pic of the tire .. I open hood and saw no visible leaks..
Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Just tell them to take you back to the lift and show you the evidence. That’ll trip them up good.

Barticus520

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic sport touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The fillers from Honda are cheap and take seconds to replace then they charge 75 for each filter to replace lol at least that’s near me.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
so i went in for my " free oil change" they came out and said i needed a new engine filter and cab filter and i had a bubble in my brand new tire i just out on back in dec.. then they said i had a oil leak.. I drove this care since Nov (last oil change ) and notice no oil dropping or anything unusual. I check my drive for any type of leak and saw nothing.. I also check the tire 5x after the con artist dealer said there was a bubble.. I saw No bubble.. tire looked brand new no issues..
then they kid said well you got 63k miles on it and that's why you have a oil leak.. im like WTF? i said it shouldn't have a oil leak with this many miles period. so should i call Honda to see what they can do? they wanna charge me $468 for both filters and new tire and oil diagnosis . My impression is these kids at the dealer are making stuff up to get a commission as well as the mechanic in the back.. I can post a pic of the tire .. I open hood and saw no visible leaks..
Where was the oil leak coming from supposedly?

OP
OP

Mrparis

First Name
Paris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda
Country flag
Where was the oil leak coming from supposedly?
they never said.. they just said it was visual of a leak.. i didnt notice any differnt in the oil over 4 months with some spirited driving.. i dont think it had a leak.. just a excuse to get 140 bucks out of me for a " repair " that will never happen

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Like SDAlexander8 said ask them to put the car on the lift and show you wear the bubble is on the tire and the oil leak. You never know. The guy could be legit or he could be trying to deceive you. But give them the benefit of the doubt first. You never know maybe the problem with the tire is on the inner side wall and you can’t see it without the car being up on the left. Both of my passenger side tires on the inner side wall had cuts on them and I never knew I had them until I went to swap over my winter tires. Also some of these engines are known to leak around the valve cover at the back of the engine and it’s not that easily seen unless you really look hard for it.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Don't ever get an air filter from the dealership, it's ridiculously marked up for a 2 min job. Like everyone else said and will keep saying, make them show you. Not a picture either.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get your free oil change or whatever, and GTFO of there. Never go back. Time to start doing your own maintenance.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Get your free oil change or whatever, and GTFO of there. Never go back. Time to start doing your own maintenance.
Hahah, true! But even that has risk.

I work on all of our cars but our Toyota van has complimentary service to 20k miles. At the tire rotation A week later I noticed two lug lug nuts missing as none of the passenger side lug nuts were torqued down. After that at the first free oil change service They noticed the year of my van and they said that it needed a fuel pump replacement under warranty. I agreed to it and then they told me that they didn’t have the parts for it so I said no problem just do the oil change and I’ll be back when it’s done as I went shopping in the neighborhood. I told him to call me when it’s ready. After three hours of walking around the neighborhood and bored to my skull, I went back to the dealership and they said it wasn’t ready yet. I asked my service advisor again and then at that point he told me that no work was done on the car because they forgot to change the oil. When I went back when they got all of the fuel pump parts I had them change the oil and fuel pump and swap over my winter tires and then they told me that they couldn’t use the Lugnuts that came with my aftermarket winter tires because they didn’t have the correct socket to fit the Lugnuts? That’s ridiculous because they’re standard size lug nuts. I guess they bought the set of impact sockets that was missing sockets....

Needless to say I am very happy that the free service is over now and I will not be returning back there ever to have them work on my car.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The valve covers do tend to leak. Known issue. Usually not a huge issue, but I could see someone seeing oil on the pan and say it is a leak. (They tend not to bring it up during the warranty period mind you).

Anjuna

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Sedan
Country flag
Depending on your location, the L15B7 has a lifetime warranty on the engine. Both heads and crankcase. I strictly follow Honda's maintenance schedule, at a dealership for oil. I'll likely also get them to adjust the valves (I'm 100% sure I can do this easily) and change the chain when called for.

Why?

Because of oil dilution, any flaw that causes terminal damage is a shoe in for coverage. This also helps the resale value when I prove the engine warranty is still 100% valid. It's also why my upgrade path doesn't include any engine upgrades. I can eek out a ton of preformance elsewhere.

That's just me though.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I have a policy to NEVER step on a dealer lot ever again, not even for a "free" oil change. This just keeps my life stress free. I've got a used Si, change oil regularly, had to get a new battery and that's all I've had to do for my used 2017 Si. A dealership will just usually lie about something, air filter, fuel filter, oil leak, lie lie lie. It's not like they're really there to help you PLUS they're soulless, extremely slow, boring, depressing places why go to some place like that when you can always find much better options?

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a policy to NEVER step on a dealer lot ever again, not even for a "free" oil change. This just keeps my life stress free. I've got a used Si, change oil regularly, had to get a new battery and that's all I've had to do for my used 2017 Si. A dealership will just usually lie about something, air filter, fuel filter, oil leak, lie lie lie. It's not like they're really there to help you PLUS they're soulless, extremely slow, boring, depressing places why go to some place like that when you can always find much better options?
I agree with you. I do all my work but the free oil change and the free donuts drew me in...hahaha!
Sponsored