The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Current thread stats and info (as of 3/11/21):

Total tuned cars submitted: 556

Total tuned miles driven: 7,794,510 (reported)
Car with most tuned miles: choo (101,000+)

Cars with major failures: 15 (2.7%)
Failures by model: Si: 3; non-Si: 12; CTR: 0; 2.0 NA: 0
Percentage of cars running reliably: 97.3%

Transmission type: CVT (175); Manual (381)

Hondata used for tuning: 120; Race (104) Carb (16)
KTuner used for tuning: 461; V1.2 (263) V2 (198)

JB4 used as tuning device: 3
RaceChip used as tuning device: 4
Motec used as tuning device: 3

Pro custom tuned cars: 108
Base tuned only cars: 163

Most popular OTS tune: TSP Stage 1 (251)
Other popular OTS tune: Phearable Stage 1.5 (84)
Newest OTS tunes: TSP 1+ (9); Phearable 1.5R (5)

Top rated pro tuners: Derek Robinson, John Vega

Submissions by model: Si (254); 1.5T Non-Si (243); Type R (41); 2.0 NA (18)

Most popular fuel: 93 octane (289)
Flex fuel users: 59

Cars with no added bolt ons: 177
Cars with at least one bolt on: 266
Cars running full bolt on setups: 113

Upgraded turbos installed: 40

Important info regarding updates: Since this is an ongoing thread, please add a new post from time to time. Use that new post to show additional tuned miles driven, changes to your tune setup, changed mods, issues that occur and new tuning experience notes. That way, we can keep the thread as accurate and up to date as possible.

Crowe

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
**UPDATE**

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 14 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Map 3, Recently upgraded to TSP Stage1+, running Map 3.

Fuel used: 93 Top Tier

Additional engine mods: K&N SRI

Problems/issues: Recently had some high fuel trims. I just dumped a bottle of seafoam injector cleaner and the trims immediately stabilized. May have to replace injectors soon. No clutch issues so far from upgrading to TSP stage 1+.

Driving style: Fairly Aggressive but no WOT under 3.5k rmp to preserve stock clutch for as long as possible.

Tuning experience notes: Zero tuning experience prior to this but it has certainly given me the bug.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2017 Civic ex-t 1.5t cvt sedan

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 1,000

Tunes used: phearable 1.5

Fuel used: 92 (vp racing gas station)

Additional engine mods: prl cobra street, prl intercooler

Problems/issues: none. Knock on wood.

Driving style: economy commuter, but I randomly floor it sometimes

Tuning experience notes: Zero

CVTsport18

Honda First Timer
First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Veloster N DCT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT

Total tuned time: 4 days

Tuned miles driven: ~200 tuned (7750 total)

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5 Non-Si

Fuel used: 93 octane from Phillips 66

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Very easy during warm up. After warm up I drive a bit spirited but for me that means actually getting over 3500rpm. I don't have a daily drive so when I do it's usually just to get out and drive. Most miles are highway ~85%. I always leave it in D.

Tuning experience notes: This tune is smooth. I can't believe it actually. The stock experience is notably less refined feeling, at least to me. This is the first time I've done an ECU tune and so far it is beyond worth it. These cars deserve to feel this way from the factory. The way it pulls after jabbing the throttle, while already moving, puts me back in the seat just like I wanted. I've used Map 3 exclusively post initial 30 minute drive, and it is very daily friendly. I really liked my Civic before. Now I love it. I'll definitely be updating over the months/years to come.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
**UPDATE**

Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 14 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000+

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 Map 3, Recently upgraded to TSP Stage1+, running Map 3.

Fuel used: 93 Top Tier

Additional engine mods: K&N SRI

Problems/issues: Recently had some high fuel trims. I just dumped a bottle of seafoam injector cleaner and the trims immediately stabilized. May have to replace injectors soon. No clutch issues so far from upgrading to TSP stage 1+.

Driving style: Fairly Aggressive but no WOT under 3.5k rmp to preserve stock clutch for as long as possible.

Tuning experience notes: Zero tuning experience prior to this but it has certainly given me the bug.
What were your fuel trims looking like?

3sumInMyHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 HB sport, '19 sedan sport, '08 LX
Country flag
The CVT can easily handle 200 lb/ft...

Keep in mind that 250nm number used on the Hondata CVT tq table is more torque than you think. Hondata is supposedly using their own ecu torque calculation. It's not the straightforward math you'd assume.

We had this discussion years ago at the forum and Hondata wasn't very open to discussing the calculation formula used or the actual numbers in lb/ft.

Btw, when you raised the torque limit, I hope you only increased it above 4000 rpm for safety reasons.

The basic keys to CVT safety are keeping torque subdued a bit below 3500-4000 rpm and NEVER brake launching.

There actually was a big thread where Hondata destroyed a CVT and "found the CVT's power limit" Unfortunately, they never said what those power limit numbers were. :rolleyes:
*UPDATE*
Got my car back a week ago. I have been driving very conservatively since the malfunctioning. Honda replaced my damaged valve body as well as transmission fluid. However... I have noticed that when I shift into Drive, there is a bit of “lag” before I am able to safely take off. I can definitely feel the time between I shift into drive and when the car catches gear. In fact, there is a bit of a jerk or jolt when it does get into gear. Furthermore... my car is now stock except for the PRL stage 1 intake (silicone hose and replacement filter). I have tried uploading the +3 psi basemap instead of the +6 this time and I am definitely NOT going to be touching any torque or boost tables due to the worries that I now have. But this is where my problem surfaces... after I upload it to my car and after I turn the ignition back on to drive, the basemap has definitely not uploaded. When I test drove it, it is even slower than the stock setting of my car and I am not building up any boost past three bars. This made me flash back to stock and i am now selling my Hondata CARB flashpro. But Is it possible that Honda could have put a safety chip or something in my ECU after they repaired my valve body? If anyone has any info that’d be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes, for whatever reason, a tune doesn't "take" so you just re-upload. Honda didnt add some sort of tune preventing device or chip.

As far as the CVT, when I first put my car in D in the morning there is a light delay before it goes "into gear". That's fairly common.

3sumInMyHatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 HB sport, '19 sedan sport, '08 LX
Country flag
Sometimes, for whatever reason, a tune doesn't "take" so you just re-upload. Honda didnt add some sort of tune preventing device or chip.

As far as the CVT, when I first put my car in D in the morning there is a light delay before it goes "into gear". That's fairly common.
Hmm.. interesting. I’ve tried reuploading but I’m still getting the same problem. Even when i tried loading the +6 basemap as well It won’t build up more than 3 bars of boost. I’ll probably try again tomorrow but I don’t want to keep flashing and refalshing back to stock over and over again because I did it for a total of 4 to 6 times yesterday.

and yeah, that’s what I thought it was just because I would start it up in the morning. I thought it was just the car getting warmed up at the beginning of the day. But I noticed that it is still doing it after I’ve been driving all day which is concerning me again. Sorry, I wasn’t specific with how many times I can feel the lagging and joltiness when I put it in drive. But yeah...even though I’ve been driving constantly throughout the day, every time I select Drive, I feel those 2 seconds Of nothingness and then it sort of jolts Into gear.

so far, I sound like the most unluckiest guy in this thread:cry: and just to throw it out there: all these problems have started occurring ever since they replaced my valve body last week

geeeek

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 hatch sport

Total tuned time: 4.5 months, tuned 2 weeks into ownership

Total tuned mileage: 6000mi since 1000mi

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner

Tunes used: Mostly 18psi starter map, had 21psi for the past month but reverted back to 18psi a few days ago. Clutch already takes a beating in LA + my driving. And the 21psi peak tq seems to be right at the limit of stock clutch based on what I read here (~260wtq). Of course I'm never wot at 3k but still. I like to beat on the car a bit without sweating

Fuel used: 91, initially shell but switched to chevron because when people have contamination issues it's usually shell lol

Additional engine mods: Prl cai (race maf), prl intercooler, 27won catted dp/fp, straight through magnaflow muffler

Problems/issues: The prl cai was running lean even with the provided maf scaling, so I had to adjust it a bit with the help of @PowerPerLiter. LTFT is between 0 and -3 now

Driving style: When the engines cold I try to avoid boost and heavy throttle. When engines nice and warm I like to blast through 1st and 2nd between lights, kind of sad but 2nd is my "fun gear" due to the traffic/laws and street layouts. On the freeways I'm usually just reacting to random slowdowns and creeping along unless it's late at night. For context I'm currently at 24 lifetime mpg, rarely do I actually get to cruise. Also I swear the mpg went down after I switched from stock maf to race maf, used to be a solid 28mpg. Or maybe I've just been in more stop and go the past month.
small update

Vehicle: 2019 hatch sport 6mt

Total tuned time: 21 months, tuned 2 weeks into ownership

Total tuned mileage: 19000mi since 1000mi (odo at 20000)

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner

Tunes used: Various ktuner starter maps. Been using tsp stage 1 for about a year now

Fuel used: chevron 91 (choice based on superstition more than reason)

Additional engine mods: ctr retrofit, prl cai (race maf), prl intercooler, 27won catted dp/fp, 2.5" exhaust, 5w30 oil

Problems/issues: No engine issues (yet?)

Driving style: Same as before really, I limit rpm, throttle, and boost when the engine is cold. I usually drive pretty mildly, but I'll rev out the engine a bit with moderate throttle just because. When the road is clear and the lights ahead are green I'll bang out 1-2-3 and maybe tap the limiter once or twice.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
LTFT was sitting at about -20 and seemed to be getting worse. Fuel trims stabilized very quickly after dumping the seafoam in. Averaging around -5 or so now on my LTFT.
Negative number would be running rich with too much fuel. I'm surprised the seafoam did anything

Pistl_Pete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Hatchback EX CVT

Total tuned time: 1 week

Tuned miles driven: ~100

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5 (maps 1 and 2 only)

Fuel used: Top Tier 93 Octane Fuel

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Generally conservative acceleration but will cruise at 5-10 over speed limit, occasionally more aggressive when needed or for fun

Tuning experience notes: First time tuning a car. After doing lots of research and reading I decided to take the plunge. That initial flash was a little scary but things have been great so far. Loving the tune. Map 1 feels like how it should have come from the factory. This thread and other resources on this site have been incredibly helpful.
Sponsored