Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Simply put, the Type R is a proper driver's car. A lot of people who are sorta or somewhat into cars don't really know what that means and yes they do get sucked into the hype.

If you want the easiest possible car to live with, the CTR is not for you. If you want the cheapest maintenance, the CTR is not for you. If you want every possible luxury and fancy interior gimmick, the CTR is not for you. If you want to just put your foot down at the stop light and smoke anything on the road without any effort, the CTR is not for you. If you want a V8 engine sound, the CTR is not for you. Vast majority of drivers fall into one of these aforementioned categories. They kinda like cars but they aren't really driving enthusiasts.

If you just love shifting gears, if you like feeling the Gs in a tight corner, if the feeling of braking hard into a corner and then accelerating hard as you come out of the corner gets your blood rushing, if you genuinely like the driving part of driving, the CTR is for you.

If you think the CTR is not fun to drive or is numb or bland then frankly that's due to you not being a very good driver. If you have ever experienced more than a handful of cars at 9 or 10 tenths then pushing the CTR to the limits will blow you away.
Sponsored

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
You and I have shared many of the same cars: STI, Focus ST, S2000. (A great list of cars)

I’m finding that I like simplicity in my cars, and that is difficult to get these days. I look forward to bonding with my type r and understanding more of its potential, with when I’m just cruising or driving down one of my favorite backroads.
I enjoyed those 3, the s2000 is one of the cars I miss the most. ( I am not a convertible person)

I used to be extremely attached to certain vehicles, especially ones that required a ton of effort to keep on the road etc.

These days I buy 2 or 3 at a time and never keep a single one longer than a year. There is always something new to try out and my days of laying under vehicles are pretty much over.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
DUDE! The pedal on the right side push it further towards the floor!!?(after you get through the break-in period.)
I bought my CTR new at the beginning of January. Due to weather, I have been limited to the amount of time I can drive the car (only about 600 miles so far). I will say I am disappointed with the car. It is rather numb and sterile in character, besides its exterior styling. I find it to be too refined. I can also see how this could be a positive for some and why the car has so much love. As mentioned above, there is a lot of hype around the car, and I too may have been blindsided. I would be getting rid of the car if I purchased it as a fun weekend toy. However, I got it as a daily driver to supplement my truck as a daily driver. Because of this, I’m going to give it more time so I can make a better assessment of the car. So far, I would say that remarkable performance numbers don’t always translate to fun.

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
I love mine but I barely drive it since the pandemic/work from home started. I plan on keeping it but I've flirted with the idea of trading it for an SI or something similar. Some days it's hard to justify with how little I drive it.
Not gonna lie...this thread prompted me to take the R out tonight. It hasn't seen daylight in at least a month. Man that was fun. No Si in my future ?

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I enjoyed those 3, the s2000 is one of the cars I miss the most. ( I am not a convertible person)

I used to be extremely attached to certain vehicles, especially ones that required a ton of effort to keep on the road etc.

These days I buy 2 or 3 at a time and never keep a single one longer than a year. There is always something new to try out and my days of laying under vehicles are pretty much over.
Yep, me too. My CTR was my 62nd car in twenty years. I currently have the CTR, a 2020 Miata and a Ram 1500 for the dirty stuff. I usually keep a car for around a year. I think I got rid of my 2019 C7 GS in less than 9 months. Of all the cars, I think my 2007 Lotus Elise and my new Miata were/are my favorites. Honestly, I really liked the ST as well. For $19k, I didn’t have to worry about where I was going to park the car. Just drive it hard and put it away wet.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
Yep, me too. My CTR was my 62nd car in twenty years. I currently have the CTR, a 2020 Miata and a Ram 1500 for the dirty stuff. I usually keep a car for around a year. I think I got rid of my 2019 C7 GS in less than 9 months. Of all the cars, I think my 2007 Lotus Elise and my new Miata were/are my favorites. Honestly, I really liked the ST as well. For $19k, I didn’t have to worry about where I was going to park the car. Just drive it hard and put it away wet.
We had an early 90's Miata on our team back when I used to build all of those SVT vehicles, I drove it a few times and really loved it, just never got around to owning one. With how competitively they are priced, and the fact they now offer a factory hardtop now, I may have to drive one again.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
I think alot of people don't truly know what they're getting into with the CTR. Most gauge performance by how fast something is in a straight line.....when compared to even a base Mustang GT or Camaro SS (which you can pick up for about the same money), it underperforms in this category.

I honestly don't care much about pure speed on a mostly street driven daily.....the suspension, chassis, and smoothness of the powertrain is what sold me on the CTR (plus reliability). This is the first car I feel no need to modify beyond like a cat back and summer wheels/tires.

On the other hand, others see the reviews on the track or read about it in C&D and expect that they're buying some head snapping track beast only to be disappointed on the street. Unlike some other brands' track specific models which feel/sound "special" even rolling around town, if you drive the CTR like a Civic, it just feels like an overpriced Civic.......its a car you need to push a bit to realize how special it is and how high of a performance ceiling it has. Many who buy it can't do that on a daily basis in the street and end up feeling no attachment to the car.

I also don't think the economy helped. It's puckered up even those who have good job security by showing us how quickly things can shut down and mess up our plans. But imo if your finances are so borderline that some speed bumps force you to dump a car within months, you shouldn't be buying it in the first place......then again, the resale value on these helps expand the risk tolerance for some.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
There's someone on these forums that bought a Boost Blue in June and sold it in September for MSRP.
I mean. I'd barely consider that used tbh. Any other car. No way you've lost 50% value already.

Still 50k is not CAD msrp. 2020 MSRP was like 42 or something. I paid 47k otd with extra warranty and some extras.

BostonCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
Owned my R for a little over a year before getting rid of it, the fact that I could enjoy it for a year and sell it for almost exactly what I paid for it new was a factor. Although I do miss it from time to time I have no regrets selling it.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
We had an early 90's Miata on our team back when I used to build all of those SVT vehicles, I drove it a few times and really loved it, just never got around to owning one. With how competitively they are priced, and the fact they now offer a factory hardtop now, I may have to drive one again.
I can’t recommend enough test driving a 2019 or newer Miata. I think you will be impressed. With a few simple modifications to the suspension, it is a very capable car.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
I can vouch for some people by me why they sold their Type R :)

Can't afford it... bit off more than one could chew...

Not fast enough unless you dump a lot money into it (for roll racing that is)... just not worth it.
--Like i bought my Type R to roll race with Hellcats on I-15 LOL! ;) Good luck... you'll need a 10 sec Type R.

-- +2020s are a better car... better cooling, more of daily driver in comfort mode (and more aggressive in R+) interior upgrades, better brakes ... blah blah blah... whatever... These are the folks who sold their 2017-2019 and bought a 2020 or 2021... good luck finding a new one that's not 10k over in SoCal.

-- <18 year older getting into too much trouble with it... parents got rid of it.

-- Want to buy the 2022 11th Gen... AWD 400 HP (supposedly)... no more issues with traction and torque variables... and already 400 HP to start with and mod to keep up with the big boys :p

-- It was simply stolen :)

Last edited:

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
-- +2020s are a better car... better cooling, more of daily driver in comfort mode (and more aggressive in R+) interior upgrades, better brakes ... blah blah blah... whatever... These are the folks who sold their 2017-2019 and bought a 2020 or 2021... good luck finding a new one that's not 10k over in SoCal.
Is that what the dealer told you?

With the exception of things like the lane keep assist, a nicer steering wheel and shift boot material, and some grill garnishes the 2020's are the same car.

Nightshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2020
Country flag
Last edited: