Does it seem like there are a lot of short term owners?

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
I don't know if I'm the only one who notices these things... but it seems like there are quite a few people who sell their Type R's that are only a few months old, and low miles.
What do you attribute that to? Is it just not a good fit for a daily driver? Do the ownership costs catch up? Bored? See another shiny object to chase?

I'm curious if anyone else senses this?
Sponsored

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All of the above. You nailed it. I was going to exclude not being a good fit for daily driving, because I think it is, but even that is questionable if one is living in a big city and is stuck in traffic everyday.

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think it's a lot of factors that ultimately fit into a lifestyle choice.

I know some are always the type to have a new vehicle every 1-2 years period. Others realize they don't drive it as much and are looking to get out of a car payment (esp since last year for lots of work from home transition). I saw owners realize they made the wrong choice and ended up needing a truck too.

And a good chunk of this car's demographics have growing families and realize their needs for a bigger vehicle warrants dropping the car.

Personally I plan on holding onto mine until I can't anymore.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
i think a mix of all the above as well as an increase of working from home/not driving as much. no real use of having a 35k+ car sitting and not being able to drive it so people are deciding to sell and use the funds for anything else. its not a cheap car in most instances.

Masmackles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've always kept my cars for at least 4-5 years. And those were 200,000km+ beaters. I'm really not sure how people change cars more than shoes I could not imagine just taking losses like that lol.

This is my first new car I've ever bought literally keeping it for at least 10 years lol.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know if I'm the only one who notices these things... but it seems like there are quite a few people who sell their Type R's that are only a few months old, and low miles.
What do you attribute that to? Is it just not a good fit for a daily driver? Do the ownership costs catch up? Bored? See another shiny object to chase?

I'm curious if anyone else senses this?
I had a good run with mine at 2 1/2 years, lifestyle changes as well as me underestimating how much money it was costing between car payments and other things forced my hand.

Honestly though, it's a bit of a commodity car so I'm not shocked owners change so often. I feel like it's the same with the STI and such.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car generated a ton of hype. There were always going to be many people who bought it due to said hype, then realized the car wasn't what they're looking for. If they didn't come from something like an STi, Focus RS, older Hondas etc I can imagine this car not being someone's cup of tea compared to like an M3.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Look at the economy bud lot of dreams crushed and people have to sell. Also some number of people may get tired of a stickshift if they have a high traffic area etc..

Tough times for a lot of people imo

@Shred disagree - I have an M2 as well as the Type R and I think I'd take the Type R if I had to choose one lol It's a great car!

omalleyman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Type R
Country flag
I love mine but I barely drive it since the pandemic/work from home started. I plan on keeping it but I've flirted with the idea of trading it for an SI or something similar. Some days it's hard to justify with how little I drive it.

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I bought my CTR new at the beginning of January. Due to weather, I have been limited to the amount of time I can drive the car (only about 600 miles so far). I will say I am disappointed with the car. It is rather numb and sterile in character, besides its exterior styling. I find it to be too refined. I can also see how this could be a positive for some and why the car has so much love. As mentioned above, there is a lot of hype around the car, and I too may have been blindsided. I would be getting rid of the car if I purchased it as a fun weekend toy. However, I got it as a daily driver to supplement my truck as a daily driver. Because of this, I’m going to give it more time so I can make a better assessment of the car. So far, I would say that remarkable performance numbers don’t always translate to fun.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'm battling this dilemma simply because I've decided I want to retire in the next 5 years which means aggressive debt payoff (house) to be debt free. The car is everything I knew it would be and it's my favorite car ever but my priorities have changed quite a bit. Living on a dirt road helps to make the decision as well.

So when I'm back home, mine will be going up for sale. It is a great car and one I will miss no doubt but being retired is more important to me. I'm going to end up getting a na si as a beater though so I'll still have fun...just not as much haha

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I bought my CTR new at the beginning of January. Due to weather, I have been limited to the amount of time I can drive the car (only about 600 miles so far). I will say I am disappointed with the car. It is rather numb and sterile in character, besides its exterior styling. I find it to be too refined. I can also see how this could be a positive for some and why the car has so much love. As mentioned above, there is a lot of hype around the car, and I too may have been blindsided. I would be getting rid of the car if I purchased it as a fun weekend toy. However, I got it as a daily driver to supplement my truck as a daily driver. Because of this, I’m going to give it more time so I can make a better assessment of the car. So far, I would say that remarkable performance numbers don’t always translate to fun.

This car has many ups......

But....it has a lot of downs too.
But you pointed out the downs very well, I don't just feel you but I FEEL you.

Lets just say I have an Old and I mean Old Mazdaspeed 6 and that car feels more durable and sport like than the Type R.

I am not saying the Type R is bad in fact its one of the best cars I have ever owned, but i understand the hype and expectation and why people would want to get out of this car. Plus the pricetag....this car is a $32K car not an almost $40K car in my eyes.

It could be because of the difference between FWD and AWD that makes a difference. This car (type R) feels fragile, like we have to baby it..you cant throw it in corners with confidence due to Tires and hitting a pothole to ruin your day..(easy fix). Notchy transmission...(Mazdaspeed6 didn't have this) and a couple of other things that make this car feel cheap interior wise.

Honda can do better than this....i also believe the car should've been built and tested in Japan.

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
Well the "cost" of selling the car early is very little considering how little these cars are depreciating. If you hold onto it for 1-2 years, you will be able to break even on the car when you sell it (depending on your financing/ amount down) so I dont blame people. Im seeing 2018s/2019s selling for right under MSRP.
Sponsored