Type R Repair, what a dilemma

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
About 6 (yes SIX!) months ago, someone hit my 2019 Type R. She basically ignored all traffic signals, ignore me, other cars, and just proceeded in driving right into me (then crying about it... real genius driver there!). Little to say, cops were not impressed with her. Insurance took care of paying for the repairs... but...

Fast forward today, and my car STILL isn't fixed, because there's no parts in the US. Specifically, the front bumper and the fake carbon lip (with the red stripe). The rest slowly trickled in, but those parts are still not available from Honda or any official retailer. Parts have to be real oem from Honda, new.

Isn't there some kind of law that says new cars must have parts available from the manufacturer? Honda USA is next to useless (tons of empty promises, not a single one happened so far) and the chaps in Japan pretty much do not care about the US after all the trade fiasco. New parts keep going to Canada and Europe, while i have been on the waiting list for just about 6 months (unless we have hundreds of front end crashed Type R's in the US before me waiting for parts...). Every retailer that claim to have it, don't (me, my dealer and the official honda repair shop handling the repairs have tried everything).

I'm just about out of patience, i know COVID made things difficult, but 6 months is ridiculous. Any ideas, suggestions, something? It went from 'lets wait, nothing we can do about it' to 'this is gut wrenching frustrating annoying'. 15 months of owning the car, 6 of those from the crash, urgh....
Sponsored

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Sounds like you have created a case with American Honda. Seems odd that there are no parts available - especially since they have been building new CTR's.

Have you been in a rental this entire time? I would think that the at fault driver's insurance would be wanting your car to be completed as they would be covering the rental expense? Have you asked them for help?

OP
OP

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Sounds like you have created a case with American Honda. Seems odd that there are no parts available - especially since they have been building new CTR's.

Have you been in a rental this entire time? I would think that the at fault driver's insurance would be wanting your car to be completed as they would be covering the rental expense? Have you asked them for help?
Rental time has been used up ages ago. The car is drivable after some repairs, but no front bumper so i don't drive it. Not only does it look stupid, it's begging to have components damaged.

Her insurance pretty much paid what ever my insurance asked for (which is what the garage asked for full replacements of all damaged components).

Edit: Talking to my/her insurance, both said it's not their problem, nothing they can do about it, wait how ever long it takes. Reminds me of the Porsche scandal, buying a new Cayenne and not having parts for a year...

Last edited:

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
The Type-R/Hatchback production plant is in England, our factories have been shut down on and off for months now due to Covid. We even got word that the factories were asking for volunteers to jump on the production line to fill in empty spots left by covid illnesses/deaths, the request became mandatory soon after when few people stepped up to the plate in the white collar positions. So they were grabbing marketing reps and random accountants from upstairs and throwing the green cap on them and telling them "today you are putting in dashboards" etc.

Pick your Covid scape goat. We are all suffering parts delays. Talk to your insurance company about more rental time or a claim adjustment. Start looking for other hatchback parts from junkyards or aftermarket at this point if you want it sooner. This is all conversations you should be having with your insurance rep.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Isn't there some kind of law that says new cars must have parts available from the manufacturer?
Even if there is, what are you going to do? You can go to court, and maybe even win. But then what? Somehow expect Honda America to part out a new car so you can have your parts? Best case for you if they do.

But more likely COVID is going to be considered akin to a natural disaster, and therefore such laws are going to be set aside and you'll be told "You're car is not that important. People are dying, losing jobs, and you're just going to have to tough it out while more important global issues are dealt with."

But hey, you can always hire a lawyer and see what they say.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Rental time has been used up ages ago. The car is drivable after some repairs, but no front bumper so i don't drive it. Not only does it look stupid, it's begging to have components damaged.

Her insurance pretty much paid what ever my insurance asked for (which is what the garage asked for full replacements of all damaged components).

Edit: Talking to my/her insurance, both said it's not their problem, nothing they can do about it, wait how ever long it takes. Reminds me of the Porsche scandal, buying a new Cayenne and not having parts for a year...
You have the CTR without the full repair having been completed?

What have you been driving?

It is their problem. You are owed (assuming you are covered either by the other party or by your insurance) the repair of your car.

You might figure out what the full cost is to complete the repair and get those funds from the other insurance company and close out the claim. If you want to keep the property damage claim open, pressure the insurance companies to use their resources to secure the parts. A lawyer can help but there isn't likely money to be made in the property claim....

OP
OP

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
To answer a few questions:

What have I been driving, 2016 Huracan when the weather was nice, 2020 GLC when the weather sucks. I'm mobile, during immobile times, but doesn't change the fact my car is in the garage gathering dust for 6 months. It sucks.

Both insurance basically told me, tough luck deal with it, it's not their problem (apparently it's my problem... even though I didn't do anything wrong, and she's the one that broke numerous traffic laws and then hit me). They feel they did the part (pay for repairs). But the repairs aren't complete.

OP
OP

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Even if there is, what are you going to do? You can go to court, and maybe even win. But then what? Somehow expect Honda America to part out a new car so you can have your parts? Best case for you if they do.

But more likely COVID is going to be considered akin to a natural disaster, and therefore such laws are going to be set aside and you'll be told "You're car is not that important. People are dying, losing jobs, and you're just going to have to tough it out while more important global issues are dealt with."

But hey, you can always hire a lawyer and see what they say.
I'm not a lawyer, but in the US there's a federal law that covers the provenance of parts for 10 years from the date of purchase of a new vehicle. Failure to provide those parts for repairs, compensation is due (often the dealership buys the car back). Personally... i just want my car fixed.. and not wait X amount of time more (that's the biggest issue, can't get a single date, it's been like that for 6 months).

I'm all for being patient... but 6 month now with no date or idea when a part will/might be available. Everyone has their limits, and i think i have been playing nice for quite a long time...

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To answer a few questions:

What have I been driving, 2016 Huracan when the weather was nice, 2020 GLC when the weather sucks. I'm mobile, during immobile times, but doesn't change the fact my car is in the garage gathering dust for 6 months. It sucks.

Both insurance basically told me, tough luck deal with it, it's not their problem (apparently it's my problem... even though I didn't do anything wrong, and she's the one that broke numerous traffic laws and then hit me). They feel they did the part (pay for repairs). But the repairs aren't complete.
The situation must be frustrating.

I was asking what you were driving meaning another car you owned/had access to; a rental you were paying for; etc.

Did you settle the property damage claim?

OP
OP

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
The situation must be frustrating.

I was asking what you were driving meaning another car you owned/had access to; a rental you were paying for; etc.

Did you settle the property damage claim?
I have 2 other cars to get around, which is fine (even though their's nowhere to go with covid). What's frustrating is having a car that's relatively new, and the whole front is damaged and after 6 month still isn't fixed.

Her insurance paid out for full repairs (replacement of anything damaged), no questions asked. Including any aftermarket mods. They were very quick to pay up... then we found out no one has the front bumper and front lip in stock. After a few weeks, and then a few months, i was basically told by her and my insurance, tough luck, wait.

Now it's been 6 months. lol...

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have 2 other cars to get around, which is fine (even though their's nowhere to go with covid). What's frustrating is having a car that's relatively new, and the whole front is damaged and after 6 month still isn't fixed.

Her insurance paid out for full repairs (replacement of anything damaged), no questions asked. Including any aftermarket mods. They were very quick to pay up... then we found out no one has the front bumper and front lip in stock. After a few weeks, and then a few months, i was basically told by her and my insurance, tough luck, wait.

Now it's been 6 months. lol...
Ok. Seems strange that the insurance claim would be settled without the car being fully repaired and final billing.

And American Honda isn’t providing an eta for the parts?

OP
OP

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Ok. Seems strange that the insurance claim would be settled without the car being fully repaired and final billing.

And American Honda isn’t providing an eta for the parts?
Zero ETA for 6 months with countless inquiries. Same with official retailers that carry real Honda parts. It's always 'its on national back order'.

I agree for the insurance, even though they were told by me + the garage that the car is NOT fixed, due to missing parts.

OP
OP

TypeRonan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
Civic has been in the shop for 6 months, has to drive the Lamborghini instead, must be brutal. There has to be someone you can sue.
Doesn't matter what else I drive. I paid for this car too, someone damaged it, 6 months later I still can't drive it. My other car could be a Prius and it wouldnt change anything.

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Definitely a crappy situation all around. Have you tried to see if the parts are available online? There's gotta be a 3rd party somewhere that has the oem Type R bumper and related parts in stock. If found I would raise hell and demand the insurance pay for it- it's been long enough.
Sponsored