OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
But I wonder if the LSD would fit just like that.

How much would the whole transmission cost?

I will be installing the ACT clutch as soon as @edgeautosport.com sends it and I was looking into other stuff to put it since it will save labor time down the road to do this all at once...
I can't find the LSD alone online so I'm guessing it's some kind of special part number or just not available. The only aftermarket options state they are not compatible with the Si so im guessing something is splined differently and won't just drop into an L15BA trans.

A whole trans probably runs from 1400-2000 USD depending on location and mileage. And another 200 or so for the half axle.
Sponsored

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
I can't find the LSD alone online so I'm guessing it's some kind of special part number or just not available. The only aftermarket options state they are not compatible with the Si so im guessing something is splined differently and won't just drop into an L15BA trans.

A whole trans probably runs from 1400-2000 USD depending on location and mileage. And another 200 or so for the half axle.
Is this it?
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genui...~assy~helical~limited~slip~41200-5cd-003.html

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Put in an order for the oil pump gears and a Wavetrac LSD this morning. :drive:

Fortunately the bearings we needed for the new motor are NOT the ones indefinitely backordered so we should hopefully have those in hand Monday.

Rods and pistons should have been here by now. Turns out they were somehow shipped to Winnipeg to a shop with a very similar name :doh: they're being forwarded to us now.

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A Wavetrac? those are nice but I couldn’t justify the price when I could get another transmission for $1500. You’ll have to let us all know how it does! As for the Oil Pump Gears, they’re ridiculously nice. Will you shim your pump? I decided not to because I’m worried about blowing seals out. In terms of rod bearings, which color did you need, given the codes on your crank? I found that plastigage the OEM bearings that came with my new block, they were all well within spec, so I simply transferred them. I wish we could get some race bearings for these engines.

Fortunately the bearings we needed for the new motor are NOT the ones indefinitely backordered so we should hopefully have those in hand Monday.

Rods and pistons should have been here by now. Turns out they were somehow shipped to Winnipeg to a shop with a very similar name :doh: they're being forwarded to us now.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
A Wavetrac? those are nice but I couldn’t justify the price when I could get another transmission for $1500. You’ll have to let us all know how it does! As for the Oil Pump Gears, they’re ridiculously nice. Will you shim your pump? I decided not to because I’m worried about blowing seals out. In terms of rod bearings, which color did you need, given the codes on your crank? I found that plastigage the OEM bearings that came with my new block, they were all well within spec, so I simply transferred them. I wish we could get some race bearings for these engines.
Haha, I hope it's worth the price tag. I've had zero trans issues whatsoever thus far so I was hesitant to have to get the Si trans and and half axle when I could get a (what I was told) way better aftermarket LSD for my current trans. I also looked at MFactory but it was even harder to find than the Wavetrac for some reason.

We haven't discussed shimming the pump, no. I honestly don't plan at this time to push the RPM any higher than 7k or power beyond ~350whp, so this is more of an OEM+ insurance type upgrade rather than looking for more performance. When we get to installing it though, I'm happy to hear what my builder/advisor/new friend recommends.

Everything with the bearings was done over the phone, so I might not have caught all the details. I do know we are oversizing the bearings by one size. My understanding is the OE assembly leans to tighter tolerances, which is fine at OE power levels. When you start building out the motor for more power, a very slight relief in the bearing tolerances is beneficial. You may need to slide the scale up one size depending on what I understood.

I think the crank came from the factory with B size bearings (Black), which means we are going to be using C size bearings (Brown). If it came with C size bearings, we'd need D size (Green) which are the ones backordered.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I looked a bit closer. Seems like the final drive ring gear on the Si bolts to the OE LSD with 14 bolts. The sport open differential and ring gear uses 10 bolts and aftermarket ones mate up to that. So I don't see any way to mate up the Si LSD into a base trans.

MFactory also makes final drive sets it seems. So you could probably put an aftermarket final drive gear and LSD into an Si trans.

Last edited:

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

that’s exciting! Whoot whoot.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Mike, I know it's hard to be patient but you'll have one helluva FK7 when all this work is done. :drive:

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mike, I know it's hard to be patient but you'll have one helluva FK7 when all this work is done. :drive:
I sure hope so! It'll be an FK7.5 ?

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
trust me it's fun ! hehe even before the lsd & oil pump or upgraded turbo but get a good set of clutch.
Already running the Competition stage 2 kit, really happy so far.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i'm on stage 3 waiting for cmc to arrive then will readjust the whole pedal thing with a proper flush too.
Damn stage 3? How much torque are you/planning on pushing?
Sponsored