KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The tune needs to be the cause of failure and the warranty work in order for it to be denied because of the tune, any modification falls under this. The issue is what fails, anything engine related you can almost guarantee they will blame the tune even if it wasn't the root cause, but it's the easiest to point the finger at.
Thanks for clearing that up! Also, should I be straight forward about my tune? Or flash back to stock and wait until they say something?
Sponsored

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I'm still confused on this subject. I tuned my car and have 55k miles but purchased an extended warranty through my bank for up to 120k miles. I would like my warranty to be valid if it wasn't something I destroyed, like if the AC were to go out. Whats my best option? I dont mind if the warranty is voided. I just would like a definitive answer from someone with experience on warranties, should an issue arise.
if the part(s) that needs to be replaced have nothing to do with the power train you're good...if something fail in your transmission, clutch assembly or engine then it's another story.

If you also pay extra money for extended warranty on power train, then i fear this money would be wasted...honda are very reliable anyways so i wouldn't advise paying for any extra care package or warranty to begin with...by the time you waste all that money into a package you can easily pay for a new AC condenser install.

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
if the part(s) that needs to be replaced have nothing to do with the power train you're good...if something fail in your transmission, clutch assembly or engine then it's another story.

If you also pay extra money for extended warranty on power train, then i fear this money would be wasted...honda are very reliable anyways so i wouldn't advise paying for any extra care package or warranty to begin with...by the time you waste all that money into a package you can easily pay for a new AC condenser install.
Great suggestion. This is my second loan, im a young 22 newbie. I didnt know that I would be tuning it, so I should have thought about things like this before going through the whole process. Anyone reading this learn from me! Know what you want to do with your car before buying it!

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
That's part of my personal reasoning for not tuning to stock.

A) running an intake, inlet, catless DP, front pipe/full exhaust, and flex fuel. Anyone working on my car is going to know it's also tuned so it's wasted time.
B) buying the car, I went in knowing I was going to basically be denied warranty work from doing the mods I did on the CTR, had all the above from basically 1000 miles.
That's logical for sure. I only have an exhaust for now, but I plan to do intercooler, CAI, and an upgraded clutch. That would be about the extent of what i would do. (Unless there are important suggestions besides these that could go in before) But my stock hasn't seen any slippage whatsoever (from my understanding of what a slipping clutch looks and feels like) i plan to hold on to it for as long as possible. You guys on this thread are awesome! :)

Honda 4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic lx
Country flag
hi do i need to flash back to stock if im going to the dealer to have a cvt trans fluid change? or oil change?(service)

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic type r
Country flag
The purpose of a warranty is for the manufacturer to foot the bill if something they are responsible for messes up- it is not there for people who break things due to misuse/abuse.

Dealerships are a business; not a charity. Honda like any other manufacturer has specific guidelines in place that must be met for them to be willing to pay the dealership to do a warranty repair. These guidelines are in place because people try to abuse warranties with things they broke every time they think they can get away with it. If your situation is something that you broke and Honda isn't responsible you can't blame the dealership for not wanting to do it because Honda won't pay them and they won't do a service for free.

I'm tuned with Vit Stage 1. If I break the turbo(hopefully not as I don't drive it hard very much) I will buy a new one out of pocket. If something unrelated to the tune goes wrong within the warranty timeframe I will of course take it to the dealership to see what is covered.

Disclaimer: I am not a shill, I am a reasonable adult without a sense of entitlement.

P.S. I read the thread you're referencing. The guy was extremely young and bought an Si as his first manual ever- it seemed blatantly obvious the thread creater money shifted big time and didn't want to foot the bill- per Honda the ECU had a huge overrev code- that doesn't just magically come from nowhere. I can't imagine any situation where someone could blame Honda for over revving the engine.
I am dealing with this issue howver the code was stored 800 miles before i purchased the csr, i had no idea, even bought an extended warranty which they are saying is void alone with my factory warranty even though I had 0 ability to know this information upon my purchasing of the vehicle. I’m now sitting on a 2019 type r with under 12k miles that needs a brand new transmission

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I am dealing with this issue howver the code was stored 800 miles before i purchased the csr, i had no idea, even bought an extended warranty which they are saying is void alone with my factory warranty even though I had 0 ability to know this information upon my purchasing of the vehicle. I’m now sitting on a 2019 type r with under 12k miles that needs a brand new transmission
Unfortunately, used cars are generally considered "as is" and cannot be supported by the manufacturer in cases of abuse. If purchased through a licensed dealer, you can take the vehicle back and have them own the repair. But that usually creates adjacent problems that aren't worth the effort (unless the car was "certified used" through an authorized Honda dealer). GL in the repair...

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic type r
Country flag
Unfortunately, used cars are generally considered "as is" and cannot be supported by the manufacturer in cases of abuse. If purchased through a licensed dealer, you can take the vehicle back and have them own the repair. But that usually creates adjacent problems that aren't worth the effort (unless the car was "certified used" through an authorized Honda dealer). GL in the repair...
Honestly I have no idea what is going ti happen i contacted the sales manager aat Aston Martin if Napleton and he was basically as surprised as i was tonlearn the factory warranty was voided. A big part of me just wants them to take back the car at this point.

clagua2005

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you believed they have flash counters and logs in those ECU's you are mistaken. Mileage is not stored on the ECU, its stored on the dash. Its a counter. There is no clock, when you key on the car the timer starts at 0 every time. Ask the person who told you they did to prove it to you. Show their work, show you where in the HDS is shows flash count, where in the HDS it shows stored data logs. The only thing it stores is a snapshot when an event triggers it. Did you know when you flash it back to stock it erases that cel/dtc?

Ask yourself this, have you ever taken your car into the dealer for an issue and they say ok leave it here, we need to replicate it before we can say if its warranty or not? Why do they need to replicate your issue? because the issue isnt stored on the ecu!!!!!! If it was, you could say on May 7th, at 6:31 am when I started my car it turned over slow and idled bad. nope, they can't see that so they have to replicate it. You know how they try to replicate it, they plug the HDS into the odbII port, start the car and datalog. If you flashed back to stock all they see is the Vin and the software version which will be the software the car left the factory with since when you lock your Ktuner to your car, the Ktuner copies that software to the stock calibration for flashing back to stock. Then they will drive the car in an attempt to replicate the issue. That is where if you left it flashed they could see that the car is making more psi than stock or is redlining higher than stock.

Ive been asking people on the 8th civic pages since my 8th gen Si who claim the dealer can tell to prove to me they can see you flashed your car. Its been 7 years and not one person who claimed that has shown me where and how they see it. I'll continue to wait for someone to show me their work at the dealer level that shows you how they know you flashed.
So if I installed a down pipe on my 21 type r, do you think that would void my warranty?

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
So if I installed a down pipe on my 21 type r, do you think that would void my warranty?
Yes and no to an extent.

I'm fbo and I still retain my extended warranty (both on my fk8 and f80 zcp)

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
A downpipe being installed won't automatically void your powertrain warranty (read up on the
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act). It gets dicey though if you have an engine related problem under warranty. Technically, the dealer needs to prove the dp caused the issue but many dealers are likely to claim "you installed an aftermarket part, it's your fault".
Sponsored