Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
I don't think anyone knows what parameters or conditions trigger an event, except for an overrev.
Overboost seems to be commonly reported as well.
Sponsored

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
the good thing with tuners on Honda is when you flash stock they have no idea you are tuned. They dont have flash counters like other brands, and they dont have clocks or store datalogs. When you flash stock it goes back to the software that was on your ecu when you locked your tuner to the car. They literally have no way at the dealer of proving you are tuned if you flash stock, take the unit out of the car and then dont have Ktuner stickers all over your car.
In the following thread one of the posters confirmed that Honda was able to see everything regarding the tune and flashes and you even thanked his post. Am I missing something?

Can they or can’t they see it has been previously tuned or flashed and why is he saying they were able to see everything?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/hondata-r-d-finds-limit-of-civic-cvt.9957/page-19#post-241879

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
hmm vulgar language while making a personal attacks, nice. If thats all you are going to bring to this forum, you aren't going to last long.

Wow... since joining... you are the biggest virtue signaler on here... ill be watching out for you. You might call corporate on me if i call you a sissy la la.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow... since joining... you are the biggest virtue signaler on here... ill be watching out for you. You might call corporate on me if i call you a sissy la la.
I appreciate it you following me so closely! Who are you again? Also, its a joke because I once got banned for calling someone a clown.....
In the following thread one of the posters confirmed that Honda was able to see everything regarding the tune and flashes and you even thanked his post. Am I missing something?

Can they or can’t they see it has been previously tuned or flashed and why is he saying they were able to see everything?

https://www.civicx.com/threads/hondata-r-d-finds-limit-of-civic-cvt.9957/page-19#post-241879
I thanked him for answering, not because his answer was correct. If you read the original original thread you'll see that he shot his engine to the moon and basically admitted to the dealer that he tuned his car. Had nothing to do with Engineer seeing his tune. Though if I recall he never said if he flashed back stock or not. If he didnt then when his engine went boom, all that data that was captured in a screenshot and saved to the car would show all his tuned parameters and not be in spec for a stock engine.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it was an over rev from a missed shift, so yeah they see that code and its auto denial.
Honda Civic 10th gen Voiding Warranty upload_2018-10-8_7-51-46

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Saw this the other day. Don’t know how real it is.
So if that's real then anybody who was tuned at any point is potentially at risk to be denied a warranty claim

Penguin79

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Touring 2.0t
Country flag
So if that's real then anybody who was tuned at any point is potentially at risk to be denied a warranty claim
Yup. I just ordered a Ktuner too. Supoesed to get here today actually. Not sure if I want to do a tune now.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yup. I just ordered a Ktuner too. Supoesed to get here today actually. Not sure if I want to do a tune now.
I was tuned before then sold my tuner after a while. Getting back into modding now and my new Ktuner is supposed to arrive today also lol. I'm already screwed though apparently.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Jdub2580

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen accord 2.0
Country flag
you warranty isnt voided from adding anything, it can be voided if it causes a failure. Always flash back to stock, unlock the unit and remove it and the ktuner stickers from you car when going in for service. If they dont know you have ktuner they cant void your warranty.
Can the dealership tell if a ecu has been flashed in the past?

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Not exactly.

Facts:

(as I've gathered for personal use from browsing forums and the internet. If anyone has further evidence to share I'm all ears.)

They can see the recent logs have been wiped. This could mean the battery has died, the ECU has been overwritten, or some other thing has occurred.

They can see how many times the ECU has been written. This can happen as part of service or repair, or due to tuning.

One Honda technician indicated there was a backdoor function to see logs that have been lost via the first fact, which would potentially give information about out of specification operation or tuning.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I like to tell people who are thinking about tuning. Basically when you tune, know that there is a possibility your drivetrain warranty may be voided. It's really that simple. Trust me, if push comes to shove and Honda wants to investigate a drivetrain warranty claim they can at a minimum see how many times a car has been flashed. I've probably flashed my car 20 times. Believe me, if they saw that, they'd realize that 19 of them weren't Honda authorized. ;)

On the other hand, flash a conservative tune and it turns the daily grind into something fun. And honestly, at base tune levels, you still maintain what I think is a margin of safety.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Assume they can, even if they cannot.

Techs and regional engineers have a lot of tools/experience at their disposal. I've heard of warranties being called into question for something as simple as accelerated wear on the front tires.

But we still dont have any context to what caused it.
That's true. But the dealership and VIN were validated through supplemental discussions on Reddit. If someone were trying to create a false narrative, someone from the community would have called it out by now, as it would have been in everyone's interest to do so.

Last edited:

KTunedtoStock

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I guess I'm still confused on this subject. I tuned my car and have 55k miles but purchased an extended warranty through my bank for up to 120k miles. I would like my warranty to be valid if it wasn't something I destroyed, like if the AC were to go out. Whats my best option? I dont mind if the warranty is voided. I just would like a definitive answer from someone with experience on warranties, should an issue arise.
Sponsored