Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons?

burgermeister

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
Whatever you get, avoid the Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. Not sure how they got the label 'winter' or how they got a good rating on tire rack, but I have a set on my Civic and they are gripless in snow. I'd rate them equivalent to the bottom 1/2 of the all-season tires I've had over the years. They are quiet, ride nice, and handle fine in the dry & wet. Just useless in the snow.
Sponsored

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Here in Canada you need winter tires I bought Nokian Hakkapeliita 3 Frankly the best tires in the snow ?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Again, Michelin proves itself to significantly better than any other brand. Expensive as hell, but if you’ve gotta have the best, you’ll shell out.

The Continental DWS06 is also an incredible tire if you want to save a little dough. They even just released an updated version (DWS06 Plus). Apparently they weigh less and have a stronger sidewall now.

Hmm, the guy said he did that snow course in a summer tire. I call BS - either the course is too grippy or he's full of it, probably the former. Some types are snow are much easier to drive on.

The A/S3+ sucks in snow, it's not meant for that. I doubt the PSAS4 is much better.

Dranzell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X 2020
Country flag
Again, Michelin proves itself to significantly better than any other brand. Expensive as hell, but if you’ve gotta have the best, you’ll shell out.

The Continental DWS06 is also an incredible tire if you want to save a little dough. They even just released an updated version (DWS06 Plus). Apparently they weigh less and have a stronger sidewall now.

Honestly, I am running all Michelin. Currently on Pilot Alpin 4, since it's winter. They struggle very hard for grip on dry surfaces at anything between 3 and 10 degrees Celsius. Got to really accelerate gradually. On slush, rain and snow they are very, very good though. Also, pretty high noise on highway speeds.

Since we're getting little snow nowadays, I'll probably get some quieter tires once the tread is gone on these.

The summer ones, Primacy 4s that the car came equipped with, are great though.

I would NEVER get all-seasons, they seem to wear faster (because of hot summers) and perform worse in the winter. But that really depends on your environment.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Haven't even read the thread yet and I'm going to tell you to get snow tires.

My preference now: Two sets of wheels. One with snow tires that I can swap on when it gets cold, and the other with good all-season or summer tires for when it gets warm again. Both sets also need to have good wet traction as a high priority.

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last edited:

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Adding on --

That new (to me) CrossClimate looks very interesting. Biggest change since the Blizzak, IMO. I've got half a mind to get them for my wife's CR-V since she doesn't want a second set of wheels.

VIto416

I ♥️ Honda
First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didn't know you were on here bro! Nice to see ya!

Ahaha but I think you are confusing the tire model ? The ECS will go nowhere in snow, it's a dedicated max performance summer tire! I got caught off guard at the in-laws place with them on in the first snow storm in November, and rest assured had trouble even making it back into the driveway after moving it to get the other cars out.

You are likely referring to the Continental WinterContact, which are their snow tire offerings

DSC_1456.JPG
Yea this forum got me into modding my car and learning more about civics

but I have the Continental Extreme contact DWS06 and it’s been amazing for almost two winter seasons

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Adding on --

That new (to me) CrossClimate looks very interesting. Biggest change since the Blizzak, IMO. I've got half a mind to get them for my wife's CR-V since she doesn't want a second set of wheels.
whats amazing is that the tire will perform the same throughout it's life span supposedly due to it's full depth tread and pretty awesome that tire is literally a TRUE all-season

Last edited:

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Yea this forum got me into modding my car and learning more about civics

but I have the Continental Extreme contact DWS06 and it’s been amazing for almost two winter seasons
Nice! Lots of knowledge on the forum :)

Ah ok, yeah the DWS06 is a pretty All Season tire.

These are the ECS, and I got caught once in snow with them, super sketch

Honda Civic 10th gen Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons? IMG_20190428_182405

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My preference now: Two sets of wheels. One with snow tires that I can swap on when it gets cold, and the other with good all-season or summer tires for when it gets warm again. Both sets also need to have good wet traction as a high priority.
You should a third set with all season tires for the time in between. In spring and autumn often temperatures are too high for winter tires but too low for summer tires. ?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
whats amazing is that the tire will perform the same throughout it's life span supposedly due to it's full depth tread and pretty awesome that tire is literally a TRUE all-season
Reading the owner reviews on Tire Rack, it sounds like the possible drawback is tread life. But we drive so little anyway (even without covid) that we'd still get several years out of them, at least.

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
"The Fast Lane Car" compared the acceleration and braking performance in snow of all season vs all weather vs snow tires. As expected, the dedicated winter tire performed best in the snow, the all weather performed 2nd best and the all season tire performed worst. The differences were significant.

All-Season Vs. All-Weather Vs. Snow Tire:

Last edited:

JohnnyEBGood

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic hatchback sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone! Couple of questions about tires! Quick background, I'm going to be taking some trips for skiing in the Northern US over the next few weeks. I've got a 2016 EX-T CVT tuned with hondata +3 right now.

Do I need to switch out the stock all-seasons on my 2016 ex-t to snow/winter tires for long road trips in the winter? Going skiing so will deff be in mountains and areas with more snow.

Would a higher performance all season be a good option? I don't really want to switch back and forth in the winter/summer between tires. I'm living in an apartment and dont have a place to store an extra set of tires/wheels.

Does anyone have recommendations for tires?

Thanks everyone!
Blizzaks are magic. I swap them out every winter. Atually bought blizzaks mounted on wheels from Tire Rack. They didn't come with tps. Saved a lot of money that way.
Sponsored