How to change your manual transmission fluid on your 10th gen (video tutorial)

Matt Noke

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wasn't disputing what you said. I was trying to provide a reputable reference for people to see, including you. Perhaps yours was overfilled?
I've been having transmission issues so I decided to drain the fluid to see if there were any metal shavings, slivers, and or chunks and found out that yes my transmission was overfilled. A guy at the Honda service department told me that transmission fluid expands over time and that is why 3 quarts was drained. I myself do not know that much about transmissions but from what I've read online about overfilling them has me more than just a little worried. I'm not trying to jack this thread I really just wanted to see if anyone else had ever drained three quarts instead of two. Or if anyone could tell me if transmission fluid really does expand like that over time. I have less than 20,000 miles on my car if that makes a difference.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been having transmission issues so I decided to drain the fluid to see if there were any metal shavings, slivers, and or chunks and found out that yes my transmission was overfilled. A guy at the Honda service department told me that transmission fluid expands over time and that is why 3 quarts was drained. I myself do not know that much about transmissions but from what I've read online about overfilling them has me more than just a little worried. I'm not trying to jack this thread I really just wanted to see if anyone else had ever drained three quarts instead of two. Or if anyone could tell me if transmission fluid really does expand like that over time. I have less than 20,000 miles on my car if that makes a difference.
I'm no tranny fluid expansion expert but I am pretty sure it never expands by a third. The good news is you discovered a potential reason for you trans issue. I would be interested to see if the proper fill resolved your issue.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
no reason for the fluid to expand by 1/3rd. it certainly has been overfilled. can you elaborate on the issue you've been having with the tranny?

Matt Noke

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
no reason for the fluid to expand by 1/3rd. it certainly has been overfilled. can you elaborate on the issue you've been having with the tranny?
I will start a new thread later today explaining everything. I'll call it " overfilled transmission".

CivicYEG

Hey guys,

Just dropped part 2 of our 3 part tech series on critical fluids. This one covers how to change the manual transmission fluid on your 2016+ Civic. In this video, the demo car was again Ryans 2017 Civic Type R but the procedure is similar for all the manual 10th gens.

I hope you guys find this video helpful, drop any questions below or on our YouTube channel.

So what size of male socket do you use for this? I cant find the size anywhere

chainsaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic sport hatchback 6mt
Country flag
Yes, just the 3/8" square. Take the fill plug off first before taking the drain plug off. Based on your questions it may be a good idea to have someone who is familiar with the process to supervise the first time you do this.

CivicYEG

Yes, just the 3/8" square. Take the fill plug off first before taking the drain plug off. Based on your questions it may be a good idea to have someone who is familiar with the process to supervise the first time you do this.
Naw i used todo it on my evo, it was just a simple 22mm bolt tho not this weird square thing. Thanks for the concern tho :cool:

OP
OP
Vincent@27WON

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
Should I be concerned about replacing fluid with Amsol voiding the warranty?
Service Tech assured that it would, but I'm experiencing sticky/crunchy shifting since delivery. They won't do anything to help as it's "operating as designed".
Sponsored