Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons?

ApolloRanger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hi everyone! Couple of questions about tires! Quick background, I'm going to be taking some trips for skiing in the Northern US over the next few weeks. I've got a 2016 EX-T CVT tuned with hondata +3 right now.

Do I need to switch out the stock all-seasons on my 2016 ex-t to snow/winter tires for long road trips in the winter? Going skiing so will deff be in mountains and areas with more snow.

Would a higher performance all season be a good option? I don't really want to switch back and forth in the winter/summer between tires. I'm living in an apartment and dont have a place to store an extra set of tires/wheels.

Does anyone have recommendations for tires?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Although I haven't installed them yet, I'm swapping the stock Firestone's for DWS06 Continentals. They're a big upgrade and a nice year round performance tire that does well in wet, dry and snow.

I'm basing that on you wanting one tire year round. Of course, no all season can compare to a dedicated winter tire.

Last edited:

Oogalee

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're driving up into mountains for ski trips, I'd strongly advise getting dedicated winter tires.

From experience, I've had trouble ascending hills sometimes even with winter tires. But I'm in Canada so maybe the mountains are worse. All seasons in Canada are only viable if you never leave the city.

Some tire shops offer tire storage. Safety first. :drive:

OP
OP

ApolloRanger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thanks for the replies so far! I think I might do the conti DWs. While it's probably safer to have fully dedicated winter tires I'm only in snow a couple times a year and being in NYC there is no space to store extra tires.

Other dumb questions here from a new car owner. What do you do with your old tires? If you go to a shop do they just hang on to them?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the replies so far! I think I might do the conti DWs. While it's probably safer to have fully dedicated winter tires I'm only in snow a couple times a year and being in NYC there is no space to store extra tires.

Other dumb questions here from a new car owner. What do you do with your old tires? If you go to a shop do they just hang on to them?
Yeah, they usually dispose them for you.

I mean, you could keep them or try to sell them, but it's hardly worth it.

OP
OP

ApolloRanger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah, they usually dispose of them for you.

I mean, you could keep them or try to sell them, but it's hardly worth it.

Yeah that makes sense. I just have tread left and dont want to "waste" tire.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
Usually (At least in Europe) you can get a relatively cheap tyre storage / "Tyre hotel" offering where they take the summer tyres and store them (Supposedly in reasonable controlled conditions) for a not-unreasonable fee - In the UK, the first link has it for ~$10 a tyre for a year, so $40 to keep the current set.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I totally get it. The stock Firestones suck on grip but the tread seems to last forever!

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I get 2 tired replaced because 1 blew out, I keep the 1 good one as long as it has tread on it. Then next time you don't need 2 new tires right away. You already want to keep them but that's just another reason to do so, they're "full size spares" to get you through for a few weeks or so as long as treadwear is close, lol.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Hi everyone! Couple of questions about tires! Quick background, I'm going to be taking some trips for skiing in the Northern US over the next few weeks. I've got a 2016 EX-T CVT tuned with hondata +3 right now.

Do I need to switch out the stock all-seasons on my 2016 ex-t to snow/winter tires for long road trips in the winter? Going skiing so will deff be in mountains and areas with more snow.

Would a higher performance all season be a good option? I don't really want to switch back and forth in the winter/summer between tires. I'm living in an apartment and dont have a place to store an extra set of tires/wheels.

Does anyone have recommendations for tires?

Thanks everyone!
The only all season tire that would be passable in New England mountains would be the Nokian WR, which is really a performance snow tire. There may be others I don't know. My Michelin Pilot A/S3+ sucked in snow.

I found my Civic hatch only passable in the snow with Conti WinterExtremes. The Si is better thanks to the LSD and my Nokian Hakka snow tires.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm living and driving at an evaluation of 500 to 600 meter (1600 - 2000 ft). So we have some snow, but not a whole lot and also not many weeks per year.

After ten years of annual changing between summer and winter tires, I chose allweather tires from Vredestein, the Quatrac 5:

Honda Civic 10th gen Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons? IMG_20210128_083649_1_copy_2016x1512

I chose them because their grip and handling is good for an allweather tire. They don't have a v-formed profile, they're pretty quiet and you can still get a good gas mileage.

I'm very happy with them so far, but I only had two winters with them, so I'm not having a lot of experience yet.

VIto416

I ♥️ Honda
First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Continental extremecontact sport should be a really good all season tire

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Need to specify.

Is it light snow? medium snow? heavy snow? Ice? Slush/Mix precipitation?

The stock Firestones are garbage (have them on my EX), Eagle Sports on the stock Si aren't much better and had the stock Conti's on my hatch (tiny bit better than the Firestones but still garbage).

Upgraded to the DWS06. While they are much better than the stock Conti and Firestones, they won't do much in anything more than light snow.

The AS3+s were a bit worse than the DWS06s in light snow but the AS4s seem to be a tiny bit better.

In general, dedicated snow tires will outperform even the best all season in snow/ice.

In light snow the difference might not be as bad.

Light snow being 1-4 inches. That being said... Driver mod can play a big factor. I've seen AWD cars have issues navigating vs my hatch in all seasons in 6 inches of snow because they didn't know how to drive in snow.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
If you're driving up into mountains for ski trips, I'd strongly advise getting dedicated winter tires.

From experience, I've had trouble ascending hills sometimes even with winter tires. But I'm in Canada so maybe the mountains are worse. All seasons in Canada are only viable if you never leave the city.

Some tire shops offer tire storage. Safety first. :drive:

100 % right
Sponsored