OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I was riding around with a DP, IC and a CAI with TSP for quite a while before getting a custom tune. No issues (knock on wood). It could have been the DP but maybe it was something else. Good luck with the build!
Tough to say. Could come down to something as simple as bad luck. Appreciate the well wishes!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Guys (excluding hobby-man because he's done his part), not to be a pain but it's vitally important that everyone running a tune (and subsequently changing their setup) posts in my community tuning thread. Those posts (and updates) help give a true picture of how tuning effects overall longevity. We need your help and input!

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...ence-reliability-thread-for-all-models.42361/

Thanks.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Great info, I also am custom tuned but by John from pherable, no issues yet complete bolt-ons on with the w1 turbo upgrade, mines a 1.5 cvt
..was yours a cvt as well? And u have any idea what could have caused the damage? And BTW I drive my car pretty hard 1 wot everyday and nothing so far, I guess I'm one of the lucky one's ☺
Nope, 6 speed manual. I don't think the bolt ons themselves are the issue whatsoever. It issue is running full bolt ons (except I didn't have the turbo yet) on a basemap or OTS tune. I should have gone custom long before I did, is the point.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Added a couple photos from the motor pull. Hoping to get more during the teardown of the new L15B7. Aiming for this week but depends when internals arrive. We are also planning on doing a side-by-side comparison of the BA/B7/Saenz rods.

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Minor update/advice/question

We are hoping to look into the new B7 motor this week to determine what bearings need to be ordered from Honda, while we still await the internals to arrive. Everything is delayed due to COVID etc... One size of the bearings is indefinitely backordered from Honda so cross your fingers for me that's not the size we need :(

For anyone who is curious like I was, we did discuss the possibility of just doing rods and not pistons in order to save cost. It IS possible but not recommended. Some material needs to be removed from the pistons to accommodate larger rods, which will just increase your chances of burning/failing pistons down the road. Definitely better to do them both.

We are also discussing adding an LSD while everything is out of the car and the trans is dropped. The question(s) is whether to add an aftermarket LSD to my stock gearbox, or find an Si gearbox. The aftermarket LSDs are better, but require opening the trans and some additional labor cost. If I have any worn gears/etc, I'd also be stuck with those. Getting an Si trans might be easier, but overall more expensive and a worse LSD. I'd also have to choose between the pre-2020 final drive and 2020 final drive options (4.1 vs 4.4) which will affect 0-60 times and highway cruising RPMs. Any opinions?

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
since everything is out just do it 1 go man. my engine is very happy :)
i'm waiting to install my wavetrac LSD + oil gears soon when i have sometime.
get them from @Two Step Performance very good CS + fast shipping too
I am leaning toward putting a Wavetrac into my current trans right now. I think I'd prefer the taller final drive anyway.

Are you doing Boundary oil pump gear? I was considering that as well, but was advised it's not necessary if not raising the rev limit beyond 7k.

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s good information about the pistons. I didn’t know that.

I ordered the pump gears. Cheap insurance and allows the flexibility for future changes like more power or increasing the rev limit. But likely not neccessary.

thats also interesting about those bearings!

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I am leaning toward putting a Wavetrac into my current trans right now. I think I'd prefer the taller final drive anyway.

Are you doing Boundary oil pump gear? I was considering that as well, but was advised it's not necessary if not raising the rev limit beyond 7k.
not the rpm that kills it afaik just change it

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
Can the LSD from the SI be installed on the L15BA?

Or the whole transmission?

OP
OP
hobby-man

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Can the LSD from the SI be installed on the L15BA?

Or the whole transmission?
I'm not sure if anyone has tried to just transplant the LSD. Not sure they're that easy to get.

The entire trans can be put into a hatch, yes. I think it just requires the trans itself and the passenger side half shaft.

David228cx

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Red Honda Civic Sport (EU)
Country flag
I'm not sure if anyone has tried to just transplant the LSD. Not sure they're that easy to get.

The entire trans can be put into a hatch, yes. I think it just requires the trans itself and the passenger side half shaft.
But I wonder if the LSD would fit just like that.

How much would the whole transmission cost?

I will be installing the ACT clutch as soon as @edgeautosport.com sends it and I was looking into other stuff to put it since it will save labor time down the road to do this all at once...
Sponsored