2020 Civic Hatchback LX CVT - no power steering and a bunch of errors after being parked outside overnight.

airglowjgpz

First Name
Jat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Hatchback
Country flag
hi was just looking for some help, I left my car (2020 civic hatchback lx, 3133 miles, bought 7 months ago, no mods whatsoever) in the parking lot at work overnight ,lots of snow , I get in the car to go home in the morning but I am greeted by a bunch of errors, EPS, ACC, Brake Hold, Brake System, Hill Start assist, LKAS, TPMS, VSA, Collision Mitigation, Road Departure Mitigation and the steering is very stiff, im assuming there's no power steering atm. Tried disconnecting the battery and touching bot connecetors together for 30 mins and tried driving it around the block for 20 mins to no avail. Still drives apart from the lack of power steering and all the features with errors not working. Am considering just bringing it to the dealer tomorrow. Attached a picture of the car before i got all the snow off. Appreciate any insight on this problem, thanks!

Honda Civic 10th gen 2020 Civic Hatchback LX CVT - no power steering and a bunch of errors after being parked outside overnight. IMG_20210131_071737
Sponsored

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
That's what a warranty is for, get it to the dealer. Even if all the issues go away at the next start, there may be codes. Good to have a service record created if there are further problems. If, as in the previous post, there is wiring damage, your comprehensive insurance may cover it. You're covered if you hit a deer, should be covered if you're hit by a squirrel.

OP
OP
airglowjgpz

airglowjgpz

First Name
Jat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I know this sounds crazy but we've had a couple people experience the same thing. The culprit? Rodents had chewed through the power steering harness. They love the soy based wire insulation.

Have you checked to see what error codes you have?

Check this thread out:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/multiple-codes-no-power-steering-2017-civix-ex-t.56010/
thanks for the quick response!

unfortunately can't really check anything as I don't have any equipment for this. guess I'll just head over to the dealer.

OP
OP
airglowjgpz

airglowjgpz

First Name
Jat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's what a warranty is for, get it to the dealer. Even if all the issues go away at the next start, there may be codes. Good to have a service record created if there are further problems.
thanks for a quick response!,

yeah you're right, just a bit anxious about snow not being part of the warranty(first car as well lol), even then still probably best to have a service record created anyway.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
I would further suggest that if you have wiring damage, a DIY repair could effect your warranty down the road. With some, repeat, some dealers they'll try to void your warranty on any pretext.

OP
OP
airglowjgpz

airglowjgpz

First Name
Jat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP
OP
airglowjgpz

airglowjgpz

First Name
Jat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would further suggest that if you have wiring damage, a DIY repair could effect your warranty down the road. With some, repeat, some dealers they'll try to void your warranty on any pretext.
thanks for the advice! was never really considering doing any diy repairs, just checking if i wasnt missing any simple tricks(like disconnecting the battery) to at least get power steering back.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As sophisticated as current Honda's are electronically, with a computer or black box at numerous places and interconnected, you did what a reasonable person would do. An OBD reader might tell you what the problem is and is a good idea. However, I'm a retired Biomedical Technician with a fairly heavy electronics background, and I wouldn't attempt an electrical repair on a Honda, especially if it's under warranty. I used to change my own oil, but can't kneel anymore, I change intake and cabin filters, a trusted mechanic at my dealer does the rest.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Phil, I agree. He clearly should go to a dealer and I wasn't suggesting a DIY repair by any means. I simply mentioned a similar thread where an owner was concerned about lack of power steering and throwing codes. The owner hooked up an OBD-II reader and saw one code was for a steering angle sensor problem. That's when the owner contacted Honda and they said it was likely rodent damage.

An OBD-II reader is not only a great educational tool, it's useful in helping to get a grasp on an issue before going to a dealer or mechanic. Not to say that all dealers or mechanics are dishonest but knowing a bit about the problem code helps prevent the mechanic from taking advantage of someone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
airglowjgpz

airglowjgpz

First Name
Jat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Phil, I agree. He clearly should go to a dealer and I wasn't suggesting a DIY repair by any means. I simply mentioned a similar thread where an owner was concerned about lack of power steering and throwing codes. The owner hooked up an OBD-II reader and saw one code was for a steering angle sensor problem. That's when the owner contacted Honda and they said it was likely rodent damage.

An OBD-II reader is not only a great educational tool, it's useful in helping to get a grasp on an issue before going to a dealer or mechanic. Not to say that all dealers or mechanics are dishonest but knowing a bit about the problem code helps prevent the mechanic from taking advantage of someone.
for sure from the post i got the idea that having an OBD-II reader would be a useful tool just to make sure what the reported codes are in line with what the dealer would report, wish we didn't have to worry about dishonesty but it is a thing unfortunately. Personally I would never mess around with a car like this still very early into warranty. Only thing I'd be comfortable be messing around with is a beater I'd have for the sole purpose of Messing around with.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
If there was snow blocking the RADAR or the view of the camera; I'd expect most every system to register an error. Once all snow and obstructions are clear; those errors can sometimes clear themselves after driving a few miles. I hope this happens for you. Best of luck.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If there was snow blocking the RADAR or the view of the camera; I'd expect most every system to register an error. Once all snow and obstructions are clear; those errors can sometimes clear themselves after driving a few miles. I hope this happens for you. Best of luck.
Possibly, but that wouldn't explain the loss of power steering.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hopefully the OP will follow thru after he gets some answers, really want the "other shoe to drop" I'd like to know how this turns out.
Sponsored