Anyone running NSX wheels on a stock Type R?

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'm snagging a set and am curious how people liked moving to that setup from stock? What positives were there / negatives?

Thanks! I'll post up pics when they're on the beast a bit later next month.
Sponsored

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I'm snagging a set and am curious how people liked moving to that setup from stock? What positives were there / negatives?

Thanks! I'll post up pics when they're on the beast a bit later next month.
Can’t go wrong with NSX wheels! I’m running them on stock height, and paired with a good summer tire (I personally ran PS4S) it is really close to stock turn in feel. You can also feel the weight difference on acceleration. If you go with a 245/35 tire you will get a little more sidewall cushion and also have no effect on your speedo! They also look arguably good on stock suspension, which is good if you don’t want to lower your car.

You’ve probably seen the threads on lugs for these. If you use stock lugs, the clearance is really tight. I bought the Porsche Ti lugs that use the same ball seat style and size to minimize the risk of getting the lug holes scratched up which use a 19mm instead of 22mm (although Firestone still managed to do that to my wheels somehow even after requesting they only use hand tools, my fault on going there for what should have been a simple tire swap).

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can’t go wrong with NSX wheels! I’m running them on stock height, and paired with a good summer tire (I personally ran PS4S) it is really close to stock turn in feel. You can also feel the weight difference on acceleration. If you go with a 245/35 tire you will get a little more sidewall cushion and also have no effect on your speedo! They also look arguably good on stock suspension, which is good if you don’t want to lower your car.

You’ve probably seen the threads on lugs for these. If you use stock lugs, the clearance is really tight. I bought the Porsche Ti lugs that use the same ball seat style and size to minimize the risk of getting the lug holes scratched up which use a 19mm instead of 22mm (although Firestone still managed to do that to my wheels somehow even after requesting they only use hand tools, my fault on going there for what should have been a simple tire swap).
Thanks for the info! When you say 'really close to stock turn in feel' does that mean that the car loses handling with the 19? I thought with the offset being about the same that this was minimized and the gain of a 19+weight drop was all positive?

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I have been running the NSX/PS4S setup for the past two years and noticed no difference in handling or feel vs. stock, though I will admit I couldn't get the 20s off the car fast enough. The roads I used to drive every day to work would have chewed up those low profile tires and dinged the stock rims in no time. I love the look and feel of the NSX wheels, particularly on my PMM Type R. No negatives except the price, they ain't cheap.

And I will second @Coldpizza re lug nuts. I am still using the stock lugs and my (ex) local tire place scratched up the lug holes on the NSX wheels the second time they did a summer/winter swap and rotation. Learned my lesson and now I do it myself.

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag

Thanks for the info. Waiting till the summer to get tires put on my set of nsx wheels and didn't even realize the lug sizes were different.

Do you have the part number for those? I'm getting the wheels refinished so also don't want to scratch them up every time they come off/on.

Thanks for the info! When you say 'really close to stock turn in feel' does that mean that the car loses handling with the 19? I thought with the offset being about the same that this was minimized and the gain of a 19+weight drop was all positive?
I would imagine its a little different with any setup outside of stock, even if the width/diameter matche due to the sidewall. I simply went to a 245/35 tire on the stock wheels (slight increase in sidewall) and turn in feel is much different than stock.

The small sacrifice was worth it to me on my daily setup and the AS3+ tires perform so well for A/S tires that I don't see an enormous performance difference in the dry on public roads......but turn in feel on those rubber band tires seems hard to replicate.

Again, to me, the sacrifice is worth it on something that sees alot of these pothole ridden streets every day. The nsx wheels on 245/35/19 is as close as you can get to the stock setup anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
I wouldn’t say it loses handling. I didn’t get a chance to compare the stock wheel to the NSX set back to back, as I came from a 18x9.5 +35 wheel on 255/40 MPSS right before switching, where it definitely felt more vague; I’m sure both the offset and much larger sidewall played a factor in that. When I switched to the NSX set, that vagueness went away and felt much closer to how I remember it on the stock wheels.
You’re switching to a smaller, much lighter (and stronger!) wheel with a very small change in offset; it’s not the original stock spec wheels. However, as you said, the difference is minimal. Depending on how sensitive you are to how your vehicle feels, during turn in, you may not even notice a change! I would agree that the change is 100% positive and I wish that these were the wheels that the car came with.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Yeah you're mixing up steering feel and handling. If anything handling will be slightly improved with less rotating mass. However, if you run a 35 profile sidewall, the steering feel may feel less direct.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Thanks for the info. Waiting till the summer to get tires put on my set of nsx wheels and didn't even realize the lug sizes were different.

Do you have the part number for those? I'm getting the wheels refinished so also don't want to scratch them up every time they come off/on.

I would imagine its a little different with any setup outside of stock, even if the width/diameter matche due to the sidewall. I simply went to a 245/35 tire on the stock wheels (slight increase in sidewall) and turn in feel is much different than stock.

The small sacrifice was worth it to me on my daily setup and the AS3+ tires perform so well for A/S tires that I don't see an enormous performance difference in the dry on public roads......but turn in feel on those rubber band tires seems hard to replicate.

Again, to me, the sacrifice is worth it on something that sees alot of these pothole ridden streets every day. The nsx wheels on 245/35/19 is as close as you can get to the stock setup anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.
Here’s the thread by HRace that goes really in depth into the topic and includes a few different options, including the Porsche Ti lug nuts I mentioned!

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/lug-nut-solution-for-nsx-wheels-solved.42281/

Also, I have run both the A/S 3+ and PS4S on the NSX wheels. As good as the A/S 3+ is (which I’m running now that the NSX are my daily wheels and have a dedicated track setup), there is a noticeable difference to me between it and a summer tire like the PS4S. You’ll get an overall closer-to-stock driving experience with a summer tire if someday you want to do that!

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

apexit53

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 Integra aspec MT
Country flag
I may be changing out my OEM 20” to 19” NSX wheels later this year. Recommended places (websites, dealers, etc.) to order them? Thanks!
Hit me up if interested, i have one set waiting to go out to a customer right now. I should be able to order another set soon.

jmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 NSX-T & 2021 Civic Type R LE USA-029
Country flag
Here’s the thread by HRace that goes really in depth into the topic and includes a few different options, including the Porsche Ti lug nuts I mentioned!

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/lug-nut-solution-for-nsx-wheels-solved.42281/

Also, I have run both the A/S 3+ and PS4S on the NSX wheels. As good as the A/S 3+ is (which I’m running now that the NSX are my daily wheels and have a dedicated track setup), there is a noticeable difference to me between it and a summer tire like the PS4S. You’ll get an overall closer-to-stock driving experience with a summer tire if someday you want to do that!
I agree. I am running Pirelli A/S performance tires and you probably lose some grip and turn in. The guys that autocross in DS use these rims for a reason. Apexit53 won the championship on them last year! I bought the lug nuts mentioned above and they work great and look good too. Plus they save a little weight too.

1lastnerve

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR - Black
Country flag
Nothing to add here except pics... I bought my wheels from acurapartsnow.com, it was straightforward and painless. I did have them powder-coated a gloss black. I went with the Porsche Ti lugs as well... it's astonishing how light they are. Seriously, 5 Porsche lug nuts are lighter than 1 stock lug nut! It's pretty crazy!
I did go with the new Michelin Pilot A/S 4 ZP (the new Corvette tire) I'm very pleased with them. Again, nothing to add as far as handling, I agree with the statements above. The immediacy of turn in on the 20's is hard to replicate, but the daily driving experience is much better imho. Besides, I live in the Midwest and can't drive on the stock wheels/tires thru the winter. I think the NSX wheels are just dead sexy, AND they're much closer to stock offset.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone running NSX wheels on a stock Type R? Y spokes 4

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nothing to add here except pics... I bought my wheels from acurapartsnow.com, it was straightforward and painless. I did have them powder-coated a gloss black. I went with the Porsche Ti lugs as well... it's astonishing how light they are. Seriously, 5 Porsche lug nuts are lighter than 1 stock lug nut! It's pretty crazy!
I did go with the new Michelin Pilot A/S 4 ZP (the new Corvette tire) I'm very pleased with them. Again, nothing to add as far as handling, I agree with the statements above. The immediacy of turn in on the 20's is hard to replicate, but the daily driving experience is much better imho. Besides, I live in the Midwest and can't drive on the stock wheels/tires thru the winter. I think the NSX wheels are just dead sexy, AND they're much closer to stock offset.

Y spokes 4.jpeg
Looks great my wheel acquisition got waylaid by work and I wasn't able to get off to go get the set I was eyeing from another member. Maybe some time down the road I may attempt to get a set for myself just wasn't in the cards this time.