First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Scotty is a FKN HACK. There are plenty of 1.5T out there with well over 100,000 miles, some over 200,000 miles. I'll never watch another vid from him.
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
He's a guy stuck in the 80s and refuse to adapt to the modern world technology.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Everyone on the internet and their uncle will tell you the same thing, which is what they think they know: that oil dilution is going to ruin your engine in a hurry. This actually might be somewhat true in case of diesel, where almost all oil dilution issues happened before GDI.
So why focus so much on Scotty? Scotty is a very wise and very entertaining guy on the internet who is almost always right on the things he has experience with, but he is not God.

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
The problem is not Scotty Kilmer or anyone else I think, the problem is : nearly 8 billion people on earth and everyone need or want a car. For example, China is selling more than 2 million new cars per months .Therefore governments put pressure on car manufacturers in order to reduce emissions on thermal engines ! The result is new technologies in order to reduce emissions like : small displacement with turbo, stop & start systems, cylinder deactivation, direct injection... regarding direct injection: this technology is more prone to oil dilution and carbon built-up issues compare to port injection that's a fact and it concerns all brands. As far as I am concerned, there is one simple solution to keep any good engine until 200 000 miles : change your oil every 5000 miles max or 6 months with high quality oil and take good care of your car and it will be all right :thumbsup:

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Scotty is a FKN HACK. There are plenty of 1.5T out there with well over 100,000 miles, some over 200,000 miles. I'll never watch another vid from him.
? I agree with you Gene but you make me laugh ?

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Scotty is INSANE, he's afraid to go near cars that have sensors in the bumpers for collision avoidance and lane warnings because he might get cancer from them or some shit, I stopped listening to the many years ago, he is clearly crazy.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
LOL you people are funny man. Youre sitting here down talking a mechanic with 30+ years of experience.. You really think he takes his sweet ass time to make videos and answer questions because hes spreading false info??? Id be grateful as shit to live near this guy!! you can read all you want on the internet but i bet there isnt a normal daily driven car that this guy hasnt worked on. The information in his head about cars equates to the information of Tesla about electricity in his time... the dude might not always be right but bygod he is HIGHLY educated, i love the dude. I hate seeing his name shit talked man. ://

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
LOL you people are funny man. Youre sitting here down talking a mechanic with 30+ years of experience.. You really think he takes his sweet ass time to make videos and answer questions because hes spreading false info??? Id be grateful as shit to live near this guy!! you can read all you want on the internet but i bet there isnt a normal daily driven car that this guy hasnt worked on. The information in his head about cars equates to the information of Tesla about electricity in his time... the dude might not always be right but bygod he is HIGHLY educated, i love the dude. I hate seeing his name shit talked man. ://
Doing something for a long time doesn't necessarily make you good at it. There are lots of hacks with lots of experience in all job sectors. This is especially true where the people judging the quality of the work aren't necessarily knowledgeable on the subject.

As for the vids? I'm sure the money has nothing to do with it...

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
He talks shit about the 1.5T failing early due to oil dilution with no solid info to back it up. He's clearly a dumbass.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
He talks shit about the 1.5T failing early due to oil dilution with no solid info to back it up. He's clearly a dumbass.
did the early L15's not have fuel diliution??? plus, ANY direct injection has fuel dilution. thats a con of DI engines... even my 16cyl fairbanks morse marine diesles that make 8500hp have fuel dilution, because theyre DDI... doesnt mean the guy is a dumbass.. means he understands the DI platform..

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
did the early L15's not have fuel diliution??? plus, ANY direct injection has fuel dilution. thats a con of DI engines... even my 16cyl fairbanks morse marine diesles that make 8500hp have fuel dilution, because theyre DDI... doesnt mean the guy is a dumbass.. means he understands the DI platform..
So then clearly according to Scotty, all DI engines will fail prematurely.
Obviously we agree to disagree.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
From my understanding, Scotty says it's not GDI specifically that will destroy the engine. The problem (according to him) is It's a small little 1.5L engine that's being strained by a turbo charger AND GDI that will slowly wear the engine down long after warranty is up over a 2.0L NA engine. He says Honda's fix for the GDI problem was a software fix where they spray less at colder temperatures (If I recall correctly) so that there's less blowback having gasoline get into the oil. Scotty also says there's a 0W16 oil made specifically for GDI engines that you should use as well.

USNengineman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado z71
Country flag
So then clearly according to Scotty, all DI engines will fail prematurely.
Obviously we agree to disagree.
not if you keep up on maintenance!! im just saying i dont see why people are shit talking him man. hes very educated!

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
You guys who hate Scotty and who bought yourselves a turbo car despite all the good internet advice, probably think this guy is dumb too. Because he is telling you how the turbo sucks while driving a NA Lexus. :) Exactly what Scotty would do. :rofl: