Replacing 2019 CTR front vent garnish assembly with 2020/21 version?

OP
OP
Jklefevre01

Jklefevre01

First Name
Jim LeFevre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The new ones are also fake vents though. I don't understand.

Is it the texture?
It's not that they are fake - it's just that the 2019 stock are quite ugly (IMHO). The rear ones in particular. My understanding is that there are slight modifications needed to use the rear 2020s but the fronts are snap-in replacements.

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag
It's not that they are fake - it's just that the 2019 stock are quite ugly (IMHO). The rear ones in particular. My understanding is that there are slight modifications needed to use the rear 2020s but the fronts are snap-in replacements.
Lol guess it doesn't matter now since my order was cancelled since the new vent parts are on back order

esfk8

First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I recently came across some that are sold on eBay. Wondering if anyone has purchased them? Only thing is that they would have to be paint matched instead of coming already painted from factory, also not sure how fitment would be lol.
Rears:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/replace-Rear-bumper-fog-lamp-cover-For-17-18-19-2021-Honda-Civic-Type-R-black/383828397317?fits=Year:2019|Model:Civic|Submodel:Type+R|Make:Honda&hash=item595df48d05:g:5LAAAOSwxp1f3yaP
Fronts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/replace-Fo...162622?hash=item548eddf0be:g:ezoAAOSwgEJfqo39

Last edited:

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I recently came across some that are sold on eBay. Wondering if anyone has purchased them? Only thing is that they would have to be paint matched instead of coming already painted from factory, also not sure how fitment would be lol.
Rears:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/replace-Rear-bumper-fog-lamp-cover-For-17-18-19-2021-Honda-Civic-Type-R-black/383828397317?fits=Year:2019|Model:Civic|Submodel:Type+R|Make:Honda&hash=item595df48d05:g:5LAAAOSwxp1f3yaP
Fronts:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/replace-Fo...162622?hash=item548eddf0be:g:ezoAAOSwgEJfqo39
ehh those are kind of sketch lol, I think I'd just wait for OEM

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
guess im the only one that likes the front front vents design on the 2019 civic. but i did order open vents for mine but still have the same honey comb design

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember people saying the rear vents on the regular hatchback is different from the Type R. Anyone know exactly what's the difference besides the obvious rhombus shape and elongated hexagon shape pattern?

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I actually ended up installing the rear vent parts (platinum white fk7 parts) since the fk8 parts seem to be on hold for a very long time. Very minimal fitment issues, but you just dremel out the space needed for the 2020's to fit and clip on well. The front ones aren't as easy I think

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually ended up installing the rear vent parts (platinum white fk7 parts) since the fk8 parts seem to be on hold for a very long time. Very minimal fitment issues, but you just dremel out the space needed for the 2020's to fit and clip on well. The front ones aren't as easy I think
What did you mean by minimum fitment issue? The whole assembly of the rear FK7 garnish just clipped in after you dremel out the rear bumper cover right?

Front one is completely different thing on regular hatchback and type R.

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have 2020, But I would change too If I have 19 or prior models.

Anyways, the problem is that honda don't premake extras of those stuff, and I heard they already have material issues for production, and there will be a shortage of 2021 Rs. So, I wouldn't count on it too much. Just do some research and find whatever fits in the aftermarket. Some shops do trimming for those too.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
guess im the only one that likes the front front vents design on the 2019 civic. but i did order open vents for mine but still have the same honey comb design
I like the front on the 16-19, but it would be great if they could make it looks deeper. The rear on 16-19 is good, but again it would be great if they could make the rear deeper like the 2020 without the Hockey stick.

I'm not sure about the color matched hockey sticks, but I'm sure gloss black hockey sticks work great on all colors and lower in costs as well.

Krust955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Country flag
I basically just did this with the back because i ordered the wrong parts like an idiot. Im literally the only person that will be able to tell they arent perfect without closer inspection. Anyway, the correct front ones are on the way. Also did the 2020 grill as well

GundamTypeR

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I basically just did this with the back because i ordered the wrong parts like an idiot. Im literally the only person that will be able to tell they arent perfect without closer inspection. Anyway, the correct front ones are on the way. Also did the 2020 grill as well
Are the OEM ones back in stock?

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
Are the OEM ones back in stock?
as of last week, the OEM FK8 front garnish vents are still on backorder from Honda until at least end of March. If you call a part supplier and request to do a "critical backorder", they'll likely put one in for you as long as you have a 2020 or 2021 VIN to provide. With a critical backorder, you should get the parts within a month of placing the order