Nearly 4 months since I sold my CTR... thoughts/reflections

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Glad to see you're enjoying your new Mazda! ? The FK8 is and will always be a special car. I can't see being without mine in the future.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad to see you're enjoying your new Mazda! ? The FK8 is and will always be a special car. I can't see being without mine in the future.
You have two special cars haha - the FK8 AND an NSX. I still couldn't imagine being without mine but it's been much easier than I thought to be honest.

Good to hear! I have another car so the CTR is for stressed driving lol. I also got a Honda Insight Touring, been to Tn, NC, SC, GA, and all over Fl in it, comfortable, automatic and great on gas. My only problem, I see all the other Type R's when I'm driving the Insight and barely when I drive the R.

Whatever makes you happy in the long run and stay away from the haters!!
I very much so considered getting a hybrid, but I couldn't find any I could vibe with (to be honest I considered a Prius because I do like them but I think it would've been too extreme a transition for me). I get somewhere around 400 miles with my Mazda which means I've had to fill up a lot less - big time gas savings!

Tipo_r

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
As most of you know, I got rid of my CTR about 4 months ago due to various reasons and traded it in on a 2017 Mazda3 hatchback. Well, I just wanted to take some time to reflect on the experience and what it's been like without it.

First, to get the biggest question out of the way... I definitely miss my CTR. But do I regret getting rid of it? No.

In the 4 months since buying my 3, I have gone to places I wouldn't have taken my CTR. Without worrying about getting stuck in traffic, being on horribly bumpy trails, worrying about rock chips, etc, my 3 has almost 5000 miles on it already since I bought it. It's ease of driving with all the technology has done a lot to ease my anxious mind and it's empowered me to drive it more. I've taken it to many parks, landmarks, etc along the way and it helped me appreciate nature more, along with how wonderful our planet really is.

However, the 3 is not my CTR. The CTR had a special factor to it. Simply put, I do not get the same sort of enjoyment out of driving my 3 as I did with my CTR. However, I get more enjoyment of being able to relax more in my 3 than I was able to in my CTR, if that makes sense. Less stress = more relaxing.

Having a significantly lower payment and not having to fill up as much is another bonus.

The big thing I miss though is that manual transmission. My friend test drove a WRX with me recently along with a Jetta GLI and it instantly made me remember why manual cars are so fun. And I have to say - for as much as the CTR gearbox liked to screw with me, it really is one helluva transmission. I think the WRX is actually pretty good too (also the low range torque is downright addicting), but I can see why everyone prefers the CTR gearbox now.

However, I love my 3's automatic too! It's smooth, it's basic (6 gears paired with a torque convertor), and if I really want some more engagement, I have the manual mode, and it works great. As a daily driver, I prefer the automatic. But when it comes to just enjoying a spirited drive? Yeah, the CTR wins big time. Still, the 3 is fun in it's own way, and it's not like I can't have fun in it - I can have plenty of fun in it. It's just a different fun compared to my CTR.

I also miss seeing that huge wing and the basically anime-come-to-life design of the CTR.

After I figure out my living situation, I definitely am going to save for a fun car to accompany my 3. Thinking of maybe a Civic Si, or a WRX; really unsure yet. One thing for sure, I want it to be manual, because I miss it!

P.S. I've seen every color of CTR minus yellow and white since I sold mine. What gives? Anyone in the Doylestown/New Britain area... especially if you have a blue CTR... I've been seeing you!
For my understanding you was running away from the payments.

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
Why not a Sports Touring Hatchback? You get best of both worlds (sort of)

Macross

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan frontier, civic si
Country flag
Everything has its pros and cons. I think it all comes down to perspective. All things considered the car isn't super fast, expensive, or exclusive. Except is seems that way. Growing up I had a lot of project cars that were very quick and traded a lot in the way of comfort, for speed, one common trait they shared was that they usually sat for long periods of time completely apart and not running. When I got married and sold all my toys for appliances, down payments, and various other expensive adulting stuff, my wife had an 07 civic si that never missed a beat even after 13 years and 140k miles. It really impressed me how fun it was to drive. Even though it was slower, and not considered as cool, I loved it. It nailed what made a driver car great. Neutral feel, super fast steering, great shifter, lsd, and it never broke. Eventually I wanted to mod the civic, but couldn't bring myself to because I couldn't find any insurance companies that would insure the mods and thus the car for more than book value. I had already been burned once on a truck I restored and poured my heart and sole into only to have it destroyed by a distracted teenager. So when the type r came out I was very keen on it. A car that was basically a fully modified version of her civic with a full factory warranty, and even more versatility. And the insurance is about 150 more a year for a car worth 30k more. Its everything I hoped it would be and more, but thats with realistic expectations.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not a Sports Touring Hatchback? You get best of both worlds (sort of)
Thought about it, but wanted to venture outside of the Civic nameplate.
Sponsored