tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I find it kind of ironic... If the first person hadn’t gotten hand slapped about searching and actually gotten and answer, the second person would not have had to ask the question.

I’ve reminisced on civicx before of getting banned or your hand slapped for not utilizing search functions on team-integra, ls1gto, and nasioc back in the early to mid-2000s. From what I see on this forum as well as my GM truck forum, 90%of new threads would not need to be created if members actually searched. Instead, we all need to be spoonfed?
I’ve never really been a fan of this sort of philosophy. A person is asking for help, and this sort of search for it dummy and stop wasting our time is kind of unwelcoming and sort of condescending IMO. Honestly, it’s likely to discourage member participation and could easily turn off a member to using said forum. This would hit even harder if said member did try to search or started reading through some of the pages...

I’ve seen people hand slapped for not using the search function; I’ve never been a fan of such a public shaming of said individual. I’ve never seen a person banned for it and I wouldn’t want to be part of said community that did that; to the contrary I would likely discourage others from joining that sort of community.

On the bright side, the users that have asked the answered questions didn’t make new threads (they posted the question in the right place)... But at the same time, neither of them have gotten any answers. It kind of defeats the purpose of a forum IMO to have this sort of mentality. Yes, a forum is a good place to store information, but it’s a terrible way to retrieve information (the answer becomes a needle in a haystack). But more importantly, a forum is a place to help people and get help in return.
Sponsored

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
@tinyman392 all valid points. I just don’t think it is asking much either to take 10 minutes and skim through 17 pages... not even 10 minutes. Ask a succinct question based off of actually reading. Why should anyone put effort in to answering the same question for the fiftieth time, when no effort has been put in by the other party to do some due diligence on their own and read?
I’ll get off my soapbox, but I miss the old times on forums where one was politely asked to actually put some effort in and search. Right @AlphaDigital? ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I agree with both sides. Search function should be utilized first then asking for help should come after if information is incorrect/dated or if said information isn’t found/understood. Asking questions is okay. Being spoon fed is another story though. Nothing irks me more than people asking to be spoon fed then act rude or entitled afterward.

Bask on topic though...

I recently attended thunderhill. I drove the 3 mile all 5 sessions without any issues.

My mods are
C&R track rad
C&R Intercooler
HKS oil cooler
PRL HVI with reflective tape
Modified OEM grill
Varis hood
Wrapped and ceramic coated catted down pipe and front pipe
Custom tune from Derek at IMW on ***KTuner***

Temperatures observed
Ambient: 55F
Track temps: 55-65F
ECT: 185-195F through entire session
IAT: 80-90F through entire session

I have the KTuner logs if anyone would like to validate. I also sent the logs to my tuner and he verified that the car didn’t pull power once out of a 20 minute session. Yes ambient temps are low but this is the best data I can provide at this given time. Keep in mind that my tune is for 91 octane and isn’t conservative at all.

For comparison, a friend of mine attended Laguna seca several months back and saw consistent ECTs of 230F. He said ambient temps were in the 60s. Mods were 2020 grill, 2020 radiator, HKS oil cooler, PRL IC, Hondata base tune.

His video here

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It CF1BAF83-6421-4731-9C47-378D498F9039

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating & What You Can Do To Stop It C96F229E-F3E3-4E57-ACA4-99BE0EC5729A

Last edited:

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
I agree with both sides. Search function should be utilized first then asking for help should come after if information is incorrect/dated or if said information isn’t found/understood. Asking questions is okay. Being spoon fed is another story though. Nothing irks me more than people asking to be spoon fed then act rude or entitled afterward.

Bask on topic though...

I recently attended thunderhill. I drove the 3 mile all 5 sessions without any issues.

My mods are
C&R track rad
C&R Intercooler
HKS oil cooler
PRL HVI with reflective tape
Modified OEM grill
Varis hood
Wrapped and ceramic coated catted down pipe and front pipe
Custom tune from Derek at IMW on ***KTuner***

Temperatures observed
Ambient: 55F
Track temps: 55-65F
ECT: 185-195F through entire session
IAT: 80-90F through entire session

I have the KTuner logs if anyone would like to validate. I also sent the logs to my tuner and he verified that the car didn’t pull power once out of a 20 minute session. Yes ambient temps are low but this is the best data I can provide at this given time. Keep in mind that my tune is for 91 octane and isn’t conservative at all.

For comparison, a friend of mine attended Laguna seca several months back and saw consistent ECTs of 230F. He said ambient temps were in the 60s. Mods were 2020 grill, 2020 radiator, HKS oil cooler, PRL IC, Hondata base tune.

His video here

CF1BAF83-6421-4731-9C47-378D498F9039.png

C96F229E-F3E3-4E57-ACA4-99BE0EC5729A.jpeg
Ive kept up with this thread, I thought <70F was always doable. 55F may not even need a hood or “detune”. It’s those blasted 90F days that seem to kill the fun. Personally I stopped going when it gets that hot, not because of laps but I’d go through my ice cold drinking water supply too fast :)

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Ive kept up with this thread, I thought <70F was always doable. 55F may not even need a hood or “detune”. It’s those blasted 90F days that seem to kill the fun. Personally I stopped going when it gets that hot, not because of laps but I’d go through my ice cold drinking water supply too fast :)
My only track days back in 2018 were sub 70 degree weather and I was bone stock. Never had the temp creep up at all. Granted I was not pushing 100%, but I’d agree with your statement on not needing really much for cooling mods in the winter months.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
My only track days back in 2018 were sub 70 degree weather and I was bone stock. Never had the temp creep up at all. Granted I was not pushing 100%, but I’d agree with your statement on not needing really much for cooling mods in the winter months.
I would agree with you guys here until I saw unusually high ECTs on my friends video at Laguna. I think we need more people to data log under different conditions to form a better conclusion. Because 230F ECT on a 60F day is rather high and the car is already pulling power on ECTs above 200F. His OEM temp gauge didn’t move either, so my assumption is that people have heat soaked vehicles in lower temps and don’t even know it. I think the comparison also shows how the mods on my car are working so well together considering I’m ~40-50F cooler in similar conditions.

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
I would agree with you guys here until I saw unusually high ECTs on my friends video at Laguna. I think we need more people to data log under different conditions to form a better conclusion. Because 230F ECT on a 60F day is rather high and the car is already pulling power on ECTs above 200F. His OEM temp gauge didn’t move either, so my assumption is that people have heat soaked vehicles in lower temps and don’t even know it. I think the comparison also shows how the mods on my given car are working so well together considering I’m ~40-50F cooler in similar conditions.
100% agree with you on this. I am also positive you and your buddy were pushing a hell of a lot harder than I was. I would definitely believe with your cooling mods, you have proved temperatures remain low even after repeated hot laps compared to your friends fk8.

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
I would agree with you guys here until I saw unusually high ECTs on my friends video at Laguna. I think we need more people to data log under different conditions to form a better conclusion. Because 230F ECT on a 60F day is rather high and the car is already pulling power on ECTs above 200F. His OEM temp gauge didn’t move either, so my assumption is that people have heat soaked vehicles in lower temps and don’t even know it. I think the comparison also shows how the mods on my car are working so well together considering I’m ~40-50F cooler in similar conditions.
Is there a way to be able to data log without jailbreaking the ecu?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There’s sensors you can read with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and something like Torque Pro. Can’t quite get everything you can with a Hondata and the resolution will be significantly lower but much of the data like coolant temps will be there.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
If you buy an AIM Solo 2 DL, it will record ECTs, IATs, and more. Just need to have it plugged in through OBD II. Hopefully others can chime in with other less expensive ways.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
There’s sensors you can read with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle and something like Torque Pro. Can’t quite get everything you can with a Hondata and the resolution will be significantly lower but much of the data like coolant temps will be there.
I've been looking for an iOS app that has IAT with a BT OBDII, but haven't had much luck :( I've been using DashCommand, but it doesn't read the car's coolant or intake temps :(

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
This thread is 18 pages long at this point, some of which are quite long while others don’t add much information. CivicX’ search function isn’t the best, especially if it’s keyword based, I’d wager more than ⅔ of the posts would be tagged in any of the keywords he searched for.
FYI, use a Google site search. But, your point is still valid, there is a lot of info to sort through and very little of it is rigorous in application.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I would agree with you guys here until I saw unusually high ECTs on my friends video at Laguna. I think we need more people to data log under different conditions to form a better conclusion. Because 230F ECT on a 60F day is rather high and the car is already pulling power on ECTs above 200F.
Not a full ECU datalog, but I can provide a LogR data file from Dec 12th, AZ Motorsport Park, Ambient temps 48-66F, humidity 70-32%, Barometric Pressure 29.93 - 29.99 inHg.

Anybody want it, let me know.

201FK8

First Name
VINZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC TYPE R FK8, CRX SI 87', MAZDA 3 14'
Country flag
What about Jb4?

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Not a full ECU datalog, but I can provide a LogR data file from Dec 12th, AZ Motorsport Park, Ambient temps 48-66F, humidity 70-32%, Barometric Pressure 29.93 - 29.99 inHg.

Anybody want it, let me know.
please share average and peak ECT/IATs as well as mods please
Sponsored