A quick question about the auto-rev match function in FK8 (MY19)

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I would never do that lol If you know you are coming to a complete stop, what's the point for putting it into first gear at the stop light causing all the premature wears and tears? I would only do it if I want a brand new gear box and have plenty of money to spare lol

Well I guess your assuming I am like your friend. Just because I like using auto rev match with my daily ride doesn't mean I don't know how to rev match myself. I was trying to find out if I don't notice it when auto rev match doesn't kick in and accidentally let out the clutch, what potentially damages may have done to the gear box. I am confused because auto rev match kicks in whatever you do in +R mode.

Well to me that just another kind of mistake, it doesn't make it sound any better to the gear box I am afraid. Also, if you are that confident with your rev-matching technique, maybe you should just turn off auto rev match instead.
As for OP, sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing you, or implied in anyway that you can't drive. I purposely used an example because I'm don't know you, and I don't know how you are driving differently, so this auto rev is giving you issues; and yourself implied it's not working out well enough for you. From my personal experience, I know people who complained about veloster N Auto rev match being too sensitive at low rpm that they wish it doesn't below certain rpm. Then I see you kinda saying completely different thing, that's it's causing you significant Jerks because it doesn't auto at low PRM. Then, I have all those car bodies, and the majority who have had their fair share of experience with manuals, simply adapted to the auto rev, and think it's good as an option. Or they just turn if off and manual rev like normal; but you think it's hard to drive without it.... I'm like, what AM I supposed to think about this, mate?

Personally I do self reflect when I realize I'm being a bad influence, or have over done anything. But Does this all make sense to you as well? that you are jerking so much, and that you have to constantly stare at the RPM to shift. It sounded painful to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ken_414

ken_414

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R FK8 MY19
Country flag
As for OP, sorry if I sounded like I was lecturing you, or implied in anyway that you can't drive. I purposely used an example because I'm don't know you, and I don't know how you are driving differently, so this auto rev is giving you issues; and yourself implied it's not working out well enough for you. From my personal experience, I know people who complained about veloster N Auto rev match being too sensitive at low rpm that they wish it doesn't below certain rpm. Then I see you kinda saying completely different thing, that's it's causing you significant Jerks because it doesn't auto at low PRM. Then, I have all those car bodies, and the majority who have had their fair share of experience with manuals, simply adapted to the auto rev, and think it's good as an option. Or they just turn if off and manual rev like normal; but you think it's hard to drive without it.... I'm like, what AM I supposed to think about this, mate?

Personally, I do self reflect when I realize I'm being a bad influence, or have over done anything. But Does this all make sense to you as well? that you are jerking so much, and that you have to constantly stare at the RPM to shift. It sounded painful to me.
No hard feelings at all mate and I can understand where your coming from. If I may reiterate, my questions, which have already been answered, were:
1. Is it normal that auto-rev match doesn't kick in before 2000 rev when downshifting in Comfort/Sport mode?
2. What damages could have caused mechanically when the car jerks during downshifting?

Further, I never said the car is hard to drive without auto rev match but instead I appreciate the auto rev-match function particularly during peak hours coz it saves my energy after a long day of work and prolongs the life of my gearbox.

I won't judge anyone's driving habit because it all comes down to personal preference and it's your car. If your happy to spend $800 every two years on top of the running costs of the car, which I think is absolutely unnecessary, you can continue to do so. I personally won't and rather spend that money on food. And just for your reference, it has only happened a few time when I first got the car and I am opening this thread is to find out more just so I can make sure it never ever happen again. Looking at the RPM and the speedo is one of the most enjoyable part in my daily drive and I get to learn about the car more. It's a good driving habit to monitor what your engine is doing and I dun find it painful at all.

Last edited:

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
No hard feelings at all mate and I can understand where your coming from. If I may reiterate, my questions, which have already been answered, were:
1. Is it normal that auto-rev match doesn't kick in before 2000 rev when downshifting in Comfort/Sport mode?
2. What damages could have caused mechanically when the car jerks during downshifting?

Further, I never said the car is hard to drive without auto rev match but instead I appreciate the auto rev-match function particularly during peak hours coz it saves my energy after a long day of work and prolongs the life of my gearbox.

I won't judge anyone's driving habit because it all comes down to personal preference and it's your car. If your happy to spend $800 every two years on top of the running costs of the car, which I think is absolutely unnecessary, you can continue to do so. I personally won't and rather spend that money on food. And just for your reference, it has only happened a few time when I first got the car and I am opening this thread is to find out more just so I can make sure it never ever happen again. Looking at the RPM and the speedo is one of the most enjoyable part in my daily drive and I get to learn about the car more. It's a good driving habit to monitor what your engine is doing and I dun find it painful at all.
All good. Think we both misinterpreted something there. I just had a chat with a few car people on our FK8 group chat today, because I was wondering if I'm the one developing bad driving habits. The result was, it's more about the driving condition. People from NY, and city like mine, which have the worst congestions during peak hours, tend to drive the way I do, and just forgo whatever wear to the clutch, because it's simply less painful in bumper to bumper traffic. People in less populated areas just wait in neutral. So, personal preference, and I do realized my driving changed over the years because of the worsening traffic each year.

gohighhhehrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I simply just always downshift before it drops below 2k rpm. If it gets below 2k, I just manually blip it myself since you can obviously hear when the car didn't rev match.

Another cool thing about the FK8's revmatch is revmatching on upshifts [1]. So when going from 2nd -> 3rd, it will actually stay at the optimal rpm for 3rd based on your current speed. So I pretty much keep the clutch in for a half second longer for the system to reach to the optimal rpm and then just release the clutch fast. However, similar to downshifts, 1st -> 2nd doesn't revmatch.

[1] https://global.honda/innovation/technology/automobile/Rev-match-control-system-picturebook.html

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I simply just always downshift before it drops below 2k rpm. If it gets below 2k, I just manually blip it myself since you can obviously hear when the car didn't rev match.

Another cool thing about the FK8's revmatch is revmatching on upshifts [1]. So when going from 2nd -> 3rd, it will actually stay at the optimal rpm for 3rd based on your current speed. So I pretty much keep the clutch in for a half second longer for the system to reach to the optimal rpm and then just release the clutch fast. However, similar to downshifts, 1st -> 2nd doesn't revmatch.

[1] https://global.honda/innovation/technology/automobile/Rev-match-control-system-picturebook.html
Rev matching makes smooth driving so much easier :p
Sponsored