Full circle...

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Did you give a supra a shot? I have one now and I can tell you it is far from a boring numb driving experience. yes it is a bit more money but it is an amazing car ( as long as you dont have kids since it is a two seater) and over in the supra forums its interesting actually how many Rs were traded in for supras.... hint... it was a lot. I am also interested in how many people are still gonna buy a type R ( in its current form) now that it is getting... um... old? I mean we now have cars (yaris) that are out performing it in the same class.

For practicality and performance combined the R is still best choice ( if you need 4 seats) but for performance alone it is now starting to loose its edge to competitors.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Did you give a supra a shot? I have one now and I can tell you it is far from a boring numb driving experience. yes it is a bit more money but it is an amazing car ( as long as you dont have kids since it is a two seater) and over in the supra forums its interesting actually how many Rs were traded in for supras.... hint... it was a lot. I am also interested in how many people are still gonna buy a type R ( in its current form) now that it is getting... um... old? I mean we now have cars (yaris) that are out performing it in the same class.

For practicality and performance combined the R is still best choice ( if you need 4 seats) but for performance alone it is now starting to loose its edge to competitors.
I did look at the Supra before buying my C7. Once it is offered with a manual transmission, I’ll look at it more seriously. For this purchase, I needed a fun commuter car with a back seat. My son will be entering kindergarten next year where I am the principal. So I will now have a co-pilot on my commutes to work. :)

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I did look at the Supra before buying my C7. Once it is offered with a manual transmission, I’ll look at it more seriously. For this purchase, I needed a fun commuter car with a back seat. My son will be entering kindergarten next year where I am the principal. So I will now have a co-pilot on my commutes to work. :)
Yeah for the back seat and kids the R is still best option. I hear ya on the manuals. But the end is soon. 3 states now japan and Germany have all promised to end gas cars by 2035. and electrics dont need transmissions at all. Plus manual sales are at 1.2 % now. I gave up myself after 30 years of manuals and just got a auto. Honestly they are really great. Wont be long and only way to get a manual is either gonna be old beat up cars or new ones that you wont really want. enjoy that R its a great car. And enjoy that co pilot as a dad cause that goes fast too. :(

OP
OP

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Got her home yesterday. She’s a lot more refined than I expected. I think the Type R was the right choice over the STI. It will make a nice daily driver alongside my Ram truck. However, I think if this car was going to be just my toy, I think the STI would have been the better option. More raw and visceral. The CTR’s refinement and capabilities will be appreciated on a daily basis.

Honda Civic 10th gen Full circle... C4C6B196-FA54-454D-B9C0-A3B97E6F107D
Honda Civic 10th gen Full circle... 4788B76E-B5BB-45B9-B3B1-F0C684FFE19D

StanMan

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you're a little nuts.

First of all, the Type R destroys the latest Supra on the track. The Supra is an absolute dog as a performance car. It's a grand touring roadster you can't remove the top on. Automatic transmission only, dead steering, is not well planted at speed.

In comparison, the Type R is substantially more sophisticated. The steering feel is lightyears ahead, the responsiveness and directness of the handling is so far beyond the Supra it's not even close. The car remains stable and does what you want it to at high speed and during hard cornering. The FK8 Type R is an engineering masterpiece that will go down in history like the S2000 and the original NSX.

The Supra in its current form brings nothing to the table. It isn't particularly fast in a straight line, it isn't particularly good sounding, it doesn't handle or brake particularly well, it isn't a particularly good value for the performance it offers. Z4 with a Supra badge.

The GR Yaris is a very unique limited production vehicle but the Type R still beats it on the track.

Getting old? Losing its edge to competitors? Ignore practicality completely. You couldn't list 3 cars that cost the same as the Type R and outperform it from a performance perspective. Camaro SS is probably the only one.

Type R outperforms the following cars on the track: GT350, every version of the Challenger, any 4 or 6 cylinder Camaro, modern BMW M2, M3, M4, Audi TTRS, Supra, I could go on and on and on. None of these stock have ever posted a 'Ring time lower than the Type R's stock time.

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F87 M2 (former 00' EBP Si, PYITR 0081, Evo VIII, IX, 15' WRX STi, Focus RS))
Country flag
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you're a little nuts.

First of all, the Type R destroys the latest Supra on the track. The Supra is an absolute dog as a performance car. It's a grand touring roadster you can't remove the top on. Automatic transmission only, dead steering, is not well planted at speed.

In comparison, the Type R is substantially more sophisticated. The steering feel is lightyears ahead, the responsiveness and directness of the handling is so far beyond the Supra it's not even close. The car remains stable and does what you want it to at high speed and during hard cornering. The FK8 Type R is an engineering masterpiece that will go down in history like the S2000 and the original NSX.

The Supra in its current form brings nothing to the table. It isn't particularly fast in a straight line, it isn't particularly good sounding, it doesn't handle or brake particularly well, it isn't a particularly good value for the performance it offers. Z4 with a Supra badge.

The GR Yaris is a very unique limited production vehicle but the Type R still beats it on the track.

Getting old? Losing its edge to competitors? Ignore practicality completely. You couldn't list 3 cars that cost the same as the Type R and outperform it from a performance perspective. Camaro SS is probably the only one.

Type R outperforms the following cars on the track: GT350, every version of the Challenger, any 4 or 6 cylinder Camaro, modern BMW M2, M3, M4, Audi TTRS, Supra, I could go on and on and on. None of these stock have ever posted a 'Ring time lower than the Type R's stock time.
whoa whoa whoa. stop. CTR is good, but the M2, M4, TTRS, GT350 are all faster.

the ring time was in a caged car with cup2 tires. It is not faster around the ring in stock form (full interior on Contis).

Coming from an M2, this car is NOT faster. Sorry. Is it more satisfying? Yes.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Got her home yesterday. She’s a lot more refined than I expected. I think the Type R was the right choice over the STI. It will make a nice daily driver alongside my Ram truck. However, I think if this car was going to be just my toy, I think the STI would have been the better option. More raw and visceral. The CTR’s refinement and capabilities will be appreciated on a daily basis.

C4C6B196-FA54-454D-B9C0-A3B97E6F107D.jpeg
4788B76E-B5BB-45B9-B3B1-F0C684FFE19D.jpeg
You think that, but trust me bud I had an STi and past the small grunt off the line this car crushes it in every other conceivable way. You made the right choice! With more wheel time you'll see :)

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You think that, but trust me bud I had an STi and past the small grunt off the line this car crushes it in every other conceivable way. You made the right choice! With more wheel time you'll see :)
100% agree. Don’t think twice about this decision. CTR is better in every way possible in comparison to an STi.

wishistillhadmyITR

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting, and Ive had nearly every car you had and looking to get into a CTR possibly soon
Break in period is almost over. The car delivers and I try very hard to be objective with the cars I’ve owned. A lot of it is nostalgia and the feeling of mixing the ITR/Evo (see write up in my thread). The only thing I plan on changing right now is unplugging the pumped in sound.

I may get bored, we’ll see. May be a stop gap before a G80 M3CS assuming they fix that front end.

OP
OP

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
I agree the CTR is the better car, no doubt. I use to roud course and auto-cross STIs back in 2004-2007. Maybe I still have a soft spot for them. I guess the CTR refinement has come as a surprise. I will say, it is one of the best tuned four cylinder cars I have ever driven. That is no easy feat with all the emissions BS. Kudos to Honda.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting, and Ive had nearly every car you had and looking to get into a CTR possibly soon
My car history = extensive as well - from STi's and EVO's to a lot of RWD cars of the Mustang variety (Cobras and 5.0's over the years)

This car is just flat out - great. And I'd never think for a minute I'd be sack riding a fwd civic in my lifetime but here we are and I'm it's biggest cheerleader. It does everything well outside of winning a stoplight race vs a mustang (who cares, been there done that)

Where it counts/everywhere else? This car just shines and puts a smile on your face whether you're embarassing someone with a car that costs twice as much or just puttering to the store for some odds and ends.

Oh and it hauls a ton of shit.

Car is a treat - I feel bad for anyone that doesn't get one tbh lol.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Break in period is almost over. The car delivers and I try very hard to be objective with the cars I’ve owned. A lot of it is nostalgia and the feeling of mixing the ITR/Evo (see write up in my thread). The only thing I plan on changing right now is unplugging the pumped in sound.

I may get bored, we’ll see. May be a stop gap before a G80 M3CS assuming they fix that front end.
Past breakin I bet you get that EVO vibe when romping on it bud - feels like a refined evo to me with superior gearing and a sixth gear.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
My car history = extensive as well - from STi's and EVO's to a lot of RWD cars of the Mustang variety (Cobras and 5.0's over the years)

This car is just flat out - great. And I'd never think for a minute I'd be sack riding a fwd civic in my lifetime but here we are and I'm it's biggest cheerleader. It does everything well outside of winning a stoplight race vs a mustang (who cares, been there done that)

Where it counts/everywhere else? This car just shines and puts a smile on your face whether you're embarassing someone with a car that costs twice as much or just puttering to the store for some odds and ends.

Oh and it hauls a ton of shit.

Car is a treat - I feel bad for anyone that doesn't get one tbh lol.
I would get one if I could get MSRP on one, but SoCal dealers like having it around 44k before taxes where I’ve looked. It’s seriously an impressive car and I only drove it once.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would get one if I could get MSRP on one, but SoCal dealers like having it around 44k before taxes where I’ve looked. It’s seriously an impressive car and I only drove it once.
Bud shop out of state - drive home. I did that where I live, Houston, and flew out to Louisiana - saved 6k - drove it home. No matter where in the United States, within reason, and not in the snow - just start pinging dealerships +/- 1000 miles from you.

I wouldn't try and buy anything in California they are on crack 99% of the time -
Sponsored