Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Just pick a 0W-20 oil that meets the latest standard, GF-6A, API SN Plus. The usual name brands are fine. Go with 0W30 if racing on the track. It's won't matter if you pick the usual big brands.

It's hard to define "Full synthetic" because no one knows if the bottle you buy mostly has group 3 or group 4 base oils.

If I have to give a recommendation based on NOACK and volatility because of DI. I am not educated enough to know what minute differences have in the long run because of the variability of everyone's driving style and location.

If it ester base vs non ester base oil... It's generally known ester base oils will cause rubber seals to swell, but you'll have to rely on other forums for more information

Brands you won't find in stores in the US:
Ravenol
Kroon-Oil
Idemitsu
Petronas
I'm definitely gonna go ahead with the m1 afe and m1 filter.
Sponsored

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport Coupe Manual
Country flag
Fully agree with all the comments : 0W20 + big brands (Castrol my favorite) but as far as I am concerned : change your oil every 5000 miles MAX (oil is cheap and engines are expensive) ?Happy new year all !!!!

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not giving a recommendation, only telling my recent experience.
My Honda shop filled the Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 Dextos 2 oil into my car.
That oil does not has the specification and does not follow the recommended oil requirements by Honda. :nono:

@Nick20
Since you call it cheap, how much do you have to pay for an oil change?

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Pick a 0w-20 that has the SN Plus certification to help prevent LSPI. I believe the comparable ILSAC spec is GF-6. For my first DIY change I went w/ M1 AFE. Supposed to be a pretty solid oil from what I read on BITOG.
+1 on this. GF6 labelled oil is the new standard in oil.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Why are you guys stuck on API SN+ ? It's so like yesterday? It's API SP now.

Mobil 1 said:
API SP was developed to help prevent LSPI.
The oil formulations for API SP are specifically designed to help prevent LSPI in TGDI engines. API SP represents an improvement on API SN, an oil category developed in 2010.

Learn about GF-6, the newest ILSAC engine oil performance standard.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Why are you guys stuck on API SN+ ? It's so like yesterday? It's API SP now.
Does M1 afe fall into that category of api sp? I've never read this far into oils before, never had to worry about it much untill now.

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Ok so its Mobil 1 AFE or Mobil 1 Super Synthetic. The super Synthetic even says right on the bottle recommended for most Toyotas and Hondas ? which one is better or is there an even better one out there. Idc about the price it as long as its not like 60 bucks for a 5 quart jug

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not giving a recommendation, only telling my recent experience.
My Honda shop filled the Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 Dextos 2 oil into my car.
That oil does not has the specification and does not follow the recommended oil requirements by Honda. :nono:

@Nick20
Since you call it cheap, how much do you have to pay for an oil change?
69 CAD (54 USD) at my Honda dealership and I do 2 oil changes per year ?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Ok so its Mobil 1 AFE or Mobil 1 Super Synthetic. The super Synthetic even says right on the bottle recommended for most Toyotas and Hondas ? which one is better or is there an even better one out there. Idc about the price it as long as its not like 60 bucks for a 5 quart jug
I usually pay about $33 for 5 quarts of Mobil1 0W-20 AFE and a Mobil1 M110A filter at Advance.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Mobil Super Synthetic is not Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is their top line of synthetic oils. This is reflected in their advertising of the Super Synthetic as a 7.5 kmiles oil, while the lowest Mobil 1 starts at 10 kmiles (AFS and AFE) and the EP is 20 kmiles. If you are going to go with 0W20, you can decide between Mobil SS, Mobil 1 AFE, and Mobil 1 EP in the increasing price/goodness order.

And they are all API SP now. So if you have DI and any reserve of the obsolete API SN+, or (God forbid ? ) SN, better recycle them, because if you try using them now, your engine may explode. ??

gkallday

First Name
Garred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Ok so honda recommends 0w 20 full synthetic. What should I be running in my 2020 si? I've had one oil change so far and I did it through Honda.
I currently run Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 and have had no issues. Project Farm did a in depth review on YouTube between this oil and AMSOil. AMSOil won by a slight margin but this oil overall had better properties than Mobil 1 and other oils he tested. Not a chemist, but have looked into many articles and videos and seems to be a great option at an affordable price.

Nick20

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's really cheap, at my Honda dealership it's 140 EUR (170 USD / 216 CAD).
That’s why I Ieft Europe (Paris) 5 years ago for north america (Canada) ?

Qdubz

First Name
Quintin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 1993 Honda Del Sol Si
Country flag
Mobil 1 0w20 with their matching filter is all I've ever used in my 10th gen. If anything, stay away from Walmart's Supertech oil. That crap is horrible quality oil.
Sponsored