Hrubovcak.jh

First Name
Jozef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic 1.5 T sport hatch
Country flag
Hi, has anyone replaced replaced resonator with cherry bomb only and left mufflers in place? If not, do you think it would be beneficial? If yes, do you by chance have a video with a sound of it? Thanks for your replies
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
The cherry bomb will not cancel out the droning resonant frequencies due to design. It will act as a muffler.

Better sound? I've pretty much come to terms with the fact Honda L15 series engines will never have roughness like a V8 or the pops and crackle of a turbo Hyundai Elantra even with a catalytic converter. It's a buzzy bassy sound with less bright tones.

Last edited:

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi, has anyone replaced replaced resonator with cherry bomb only and left mufflers in place? If not, do you think it would be beneficial? If yes, do you by chance have a video with a sound of it? Thanks for your replies
If by cherry bomb, you are talking about a glasspack muffler, then yes I did the opposite of what you describe. Replacing the resonator with a cherry bomb and keeping the muffler would have very little effect on sound. If it's increased sound you want, you would be highly disappointed. But you're on to something....

I kept my resonator and did a muffler delete. The drone was obnoxious. So I inserted a "cherry bomb" where my mufflers once were, and the sound is perfect. It's similar to a muffler delete but the glasspack does an excellent job of removing drone.

Under my sport hatch.... DIY style.
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound glasspac2k.JPG

Reactions: Myx
OP
OP
Hrubovcak.jh

Hrubovcak.jh

First Name
Jozef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If by cherry bomb, you are talking about a glasspack muffler, then yes I did the opposite of what you describe. Replacing the resonator with a cherry bomb and keeping the muffler would have very little effect on sound. If it's increased sound you want, you would be highly disappointed. But you're on to something....

I kept my resonator and did a muffler delete. The drone was obnoxious. So I inserted a "cherry bomb" where my mufflers once were, and the sound is perfect. It's similar to a muffler delete but the glasspack does an excellent job of removing drone.

Under my sport hatch.... DIY style.
glasspac2k.JPG
thanks for the info and photo. and what about high speed? isn't it too loud like that? do you have a video what sound does it make me?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks for the info and photo. and what about high speed? isn't it too loud like that? do you have a video what sound does it make me?
Here you go sir. It's definitely not too loud. I would say the sound level is perfect. At cruising highway speeds, you don't hear it. You really only hear it when you're *getting on it!*

And this was before I added the glasspack. Straight muffler delete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hrubovcak.jh

Hrubovcak.jh

First Name
Jozef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here you go sir. It's definitely not too loud. I would say the sound level is perfect. At cruising highway speeds, you don't hear it. You really only hear it when you're *getting on it!*

And this was before I added the glasspack. Straight muffler delete.
Many thanks for the video. I'll do it then. Did you make new pipes or did you just adjust the OEM pipes?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Many thanks for the video. I'll do it then. Did you make new pipes or did you just adjust the OEM pipes?
I can't make pipes, I'm just an average Joe schmoe with a hacksaw and socket wrenches. I bought 2" pipes from autozone and o'reillys and I pieced them together with clamps. I cut the OEM on the straight section of pipe right before it makes the first 45deg bend toward the muffler and pieced it back from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hrubovcak.jh

Hrubovcak.jh

First Name
Jozef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't make pipes, I'm just an average Joe schmoe with a hacksaw and socket wrenches. I bought 2" pipes from autozone and o'reillys and I pieced them together with clamps. I cut the OEM on the 45° bend in front of the mufflers and pieced it back from there.
Okay , thank you!

OP
OP
Hrubovcak.jh

Hrubovcak.jh

First Name
Jozef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't make pipes, I'm just an average Joe schmoe with a hacksaw and socket wrenches. I bought 2" pipes from autozone and o'reillys and I pieced them together with clamps. I cut the OEM on the 45° bend in front of the mufflers and pieced it back from there.
How did you grip the "new pipes"? I saw a bit in the video, but could you please take a detailed picture of it?

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did you grip the "new pipes"? I saw a bit in the video, but could you please take a detailed picture of it?

Ok, try this..... I've also included a link to a splitter/tip combo below, which I did not use...but I probably should have!!!! It would have been better/easier.
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound glasspack2.JPG

Rather than buying a y-splitter and 2 tips.....you can simply buy this splitter/tip combo, which would connect nicely to the 2" pipe exiting the glasspack. The exhaust hanger will attach easily on that pipe as well.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-ex-2012/10027721-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10027721-P

OP
OP
Hrubovcak.jh

Hrubovcak.jh

First Name
Jozef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi.
Everything's finished. The sound has really changed. The sound from the outside is exactly what I wanted. There is a problem inside though. I think it gets too rumbly around 1900-2000rpm. Perhaps another cherry bomb would fix that - not glasspack, perhaps cherry bomb turbo. Holders were made in a way so they would fit on OEM rubber holders. Anyways, thanks a lot for the videos and photos. It was still useful and I'm very satisfied.
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound 5040DC94-009C-4B5E-A938-7B4741FED99F
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound 09689C29-763A-4D39-8051-B686B339BE5F
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound 79E56C9D-A860-4336-AAB3-F8963CC7C352
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound A2E54C89-DD55-488B-8171-79BF639546BF
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound EFE02BF8-3335-4198-958B-EEC7D753F4E0
Honda Civic 10th gen Cherry bomb ,low cost better sound 8E34F2A6-59C6-4884-9EA9-8E5CD9786374

Jjakef96

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I used this to show an exhaust shop to do the same on my 2021 sport hatch and I notice very similar sound while the turbo does not have a load. It is a low deep rumble sound. However once the turbo is at half or more of its load, the rumble is almost gone. Instead I just get more of a low whistle like sound. Almost jet engine like. Wondering if anyone else that has done this is experiencing the same thing or not. I will try to get video soon.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used this to show an exhaust shop to do the same on my 2021 sport hatch and I notice very similar sound while the turbo does not have a load. It is a low deep rumble sound. However once the turbo is at half or more of its load, the rumble is almost gone. Instead I just get more of a low whistle like sound. Almost jet engine like. Wondering if anyone else that has done this is experiencing the same thing or not. I will try to get video soon.
Interesting. I never heard what you described, it sounded good throughout the entire range. However, I do have an update. I removed my cherry bomb and put the stock muffler back on! Then I removed the resonator with a straight pipe. After listening to all the exhaust vids, I decided to do a res delete. After living with it for a few weeks, I believe a resonator delete > muffler delete. Anyone else agree? I really like the new sound. It just has an angrier tone to it....
Sponsored