Can Abusing a stock car really cause issues?

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Wow.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
MANY MANY YEARS AGO I was a bag boy at a grocery store, after the bank moved out (we had a branch within the store) we had to run deposits across town, this required 2 employees (for obvious reasons), the assistant manager that worked there at the time was an older gentleman with a CRX (car was about 15-20 years old by this time), it had 348k Miles and was still on the ORIGINAL CLUTCH, he babied that thing when he drove it, so it's no surprise, meanwhile i've blown auto transmissions around 180-210k on multiple vehicles, so YES the way you drive very much effects the lifespan of parts, you can mitigate some of the damage by doing more frequent fluid changes as it's largely as fluids break down that the wear will occur, but pushing a car hard will cause those fluids to heat up more which will cause them to break down faster.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Simple answer to a rather common sense question.
YES!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic touring 1.5t
Country flag
Let's put it this way: if you took your car to a track and drove it like a race car, you could wear out the tires, the brake pads, and maybe even the brake disks in just one day. And it would be fun. Unless you hit something, the rest of the car would probably hold up pretty well. Many of the people who post on these forums track their cars and have written about their experiences. I get the impression that people who track their cars spend a lot on brakes and tires, but their engines don't blow unless modded and tuned. I don't think that you would break your CVT.
Yes, brake and tires make no difference in the reliability of your car. Therefore if you want to burn them out it won t matter. All I care is if you could actually cause problems with a stock car and my opinion is NO, a stock car and rough driving will not do much

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
I will keep an eye to buy a temp gauge for my CVT because even if a single track day may not blow your transmission, if I dont keep in check my transmission temp it be have very bad in the long run? or am I being too cautious about it?

Also, isn't a slow car (not a Si or CTR) the best car to push in a track? ?
I like to drive my car hard, just one level below asshole, the limitations on this car is definitely the CVT. The fluid gets hot when you’re hard on it for long periods and starts to whine a lot. Engine oil consumption will also be something to look for. If anyone wants to beat on this car, you have to change your fluids more often.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Back in my young and wreckless days I drove a hand me down bone stock Plymouth Barracuda. There was one road that I liked to play stunt car driver on. At the crest of a hill there was a steep drop off where you would literally fly in the air for a bit before landing. I did that every couple weeks. Needless to say, it didn't do the suspension any favors. :cool:

There are many different types of abuse that can cause issues with a stock vehicle.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Reality is that OP already made an answer in his head that car would be fine with abuse if he will frequently changing fluids.
So doesn’t matter how many life stories you will tell it will not change nothing.
My opinion on this is, get a Ktuner tune your car and monitor CVT temperatures (if they have such settings, I have a manual so don’t know if there is such option) do datalog every month or 3 month to see how engine working. If you will see that engine starting to fail trade it before.
I know that’s a selfish way to do it, but it’s always a gamble when you buying used car...
I’m planing to keep my SI, and if it will start to act up I’ll swap for TSP block.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Let's put it this way: if you took your car to a track ... Many of the people who post on these forums track their cars ...
I doubt that 1 % of our 52,599 members track their cars - I personally enjoy the info and knowledge they provide and (perhaps dreamily) look forward to purchasing our '22 CTR just for the pleasure of driving my newest dream vehicle.

Qchon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Sport Touring Polished Metallic
Country flag
This is for a 2016 honda civic touring 1.5t CVT. My question is if a car is stock and you floor the car constantly or decide to drive like a racer will this cause any issues for the car. Note all the fluids would be frequently changed and engine is pushed only when temps reach optimal conditions. The way I have thought about it was that if a car is made to factory spec then what issues should really come up. If you floor your car there's a set limit for which is safe for the car. Civics have L mode and S mode and some people say not to use L mode frequently. Again I believe that honda would only put L mode if it was "SAFE". Yes CVT are less reliable but what are the chances you blow the CVT running stock setup. Please just looking for a discussion if my opinion is right or wrong.
I blew my CVT from brake launching. Don't brake launch, its a lot more fun to get into sport Manual and hit the corners.

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
it depends on just how hard you beat on any car.hondas are for the most part reliable but im sure youve seen kids that rev to the redline off every light and the cloud of oil smoke that follows them .

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
This is for a 2016 honda civic touring 1.5t CVT. My question is if a car is stock and you floor the car constantly or decide to drive like a racer will this cause any issues for the car. Note all the fluids would be frequently changed and engine is pushed only when temps reach optimal conditions. The way I have thought about it was that if a car is made to factory spec then what issues should really come up. If you floor your car there's a set limit for which is safe for the car. Civics have L mode and S mode and some people say not to use L mode frequently. Again I believe that honda would only put L mode if it was "SAFE". Yes CVT are less reliable but what are the chances you blow the CVT running stock setup. Please just looking for a discussion if my opinion is right or wrong.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://media.tenor.com/images/3e76c42818d03f6990bc462538ec941d/tenor.gif&imgrefurl=https://davidbaptistechirot.blogspot.com/2019/05/kevin-hart-gif-really.html&tbnid=s9FO9nI3vOAy8M&vet=1&docid=EI9A92Ar34fu1M&w=220&h=220&source=sh/x/im

All Day. Any Day. Any Car.

Last edited:

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
But humans build these engines and no one is completely perfect. So you may get lucky and last a million miles or that person in the plant made 1 minor mistake and it will show itself at some point.
This statement is correct and when something goes wrong a lot of people don’t put this statement in consideration

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
it depends on just how hard you beat on any car.hondas are for the most part reliable but im sure youve seen kids that rev to the redline off every light and the cloud of oil smoke that follows them .
HA I have to agree and being in the state of Florida they don’t have to worry about the oil smoke since there’s no state vehicle inspection
also a lot of Chrysler products have a oil smoke cloud that follows them as well

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
HA I have to agree and being in the state of Florida they don’t have to worry about the oil smoke since there’s no state vehicle inspection
also a lot of Chrysler products have a oil smoke cloud that follows them as well
yes,but thats not abuse,chrysler products are just crappy cars.a friend had a 6 month old challenger burn down as he was pulling out of his garage.he got about 20 feet away and had to bail.
Sponsored