Si Coupe Headliner/sunroof ticking

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I am having this issue in the sunroof/headliner area of my Si coupe. It is basically a “tick tick tick” noise when driving. It stops when I push up on the dome light or headliner. I have read every thread on here about headliner noise and have tried the furniture foam application around the frame/under the headliner to no avail. Tried greasing the seals without success.
I took it to the dealer twice. The first time they said they heard the noise, and used foam filler. Like I expected from my own attempts, it didn’t work. The second time I left it there for a week, and they claim they didn’t hear the noise once! I pick up the car, and the following morning I hear it within 20 seconds of driving (LOL). Here is a video of the noise. Not really sure what to do at this point. Love the car, but rattles like this really annoy me!!

OP
OP
SiVIC0530

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey everyone, first time poster here. I am having this issue in the sunroof/headliner area of my Si coupe. It is basically a “tick tick tick” noise when driving. It stops when I push up on the dome light or headliner. I have read every thread on here about headliner noise and have tried the furniture foam application around the frame/under the headliner to no avail. Tried greasing the seals without success.
I took it to the dealer twice. The first time they said they heard the noise, and used foam filler. Like I expected from my own attempts, it didn’t work. The second time I left it there for a week, and they claim they didn’t hear the noise once! I pick up the car, and the following morning I hear it within 20 seconds of driving (LOL). Here is a video of the noise. Not really sure what to do at this point. Love the car, but rattles like this really annoy me!!
Honda Civic 10th gen Si Coupe Headliner/sunroof ticking 1DC1FCEA-791F-44F3-9B77-40AB198957E3

This is where the sound is coming from

OP
OP
SiVIC0530

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Is it cold where you are? If so, does it happen when temps are warmer?
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I’m from the northeast so it’s been cold lately. First noticed the sound around early November! The sound happens with the sunroof open, closed, or tilted. It does seem intermittent.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same problem in my EX-L. It drives me insane. No amount of foam seems to work. And yes, it's worse when cold. Turning up the stereo is the only solution I've found. :(

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I believe i have the same issue as well. Definitely worse with cold weather. A stiffer RMM does NOT help (shocking I know).

OP
OP
SiVIC0530

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I believe i have the same issue as well. Definitely worse with cold weather. A stiffer RMM does NOT help (shocking I know).
RMM? Sorry haha not sure what that means! I can say after extensive time spent looking around that the problem does seem to lie at the area the headliner meets the frame by the drivers side door. I find it hard to believe the dealer heard nothing, but I am becoming more and more convinced it’s not “fixable”

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
RMM? Sorry haha not sure what that means! I can say after extensive time spent looking around that the problem does seem to lie at the area the headliner meets the frame by the drivers side door. I find it hard to believe the dealer heard nothing, but I am becoming more and more convinced it’s not “fixable”
Rear motor mount. Stiffer helps power go to the wheels but increased noise and vibration in the cabin.

That really sucks. I hope it's not one of those things that just get worse over time.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
I know you said you have tried pushing on it and such. Have you tried having a passenger mess around with trying to push or even insert some paper to see if they can stop the rattle while you drive? Sometimes it requires another person to help narrow down the noise.

I have about 5k miles on m 2019 and since it has gotten colder, i am hearing more rattles - which are more like 2 things of plastic probably rubbing together and i think i have the annoying center dash rattle starting. i also noted that i need to make sure the passenger side sidebelt tab is pulled all the way down, if left up, it will rattle on the pillar.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
OOF...This is one of the things about my Si that drove me nuts. The endless rattles, especially in the cold weather. I, too, experienced the moon roof rattles. It's just the life of a Honda owner lol

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I think that you are likely focused on the incorrect area. I used to live in the north east. I get it. Take two credit cards and put them on each side of each front door. Here is where: Look down low close to the front window. Locate where the plastic piller pieces joint up. Slip in each card on each side to separate the plastic. This solves the whole issue!

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
Never noticed any clicking sound in my 18 SI/36k miles but my 20 SI started doing some ticking sound this week/colder temps and if I hit the gas it gets worse. Drives me nuts!
Sounded like maybe in the dash area but I’ll take the car out and try and pinpoint it!

OP
OP
SiVIC0530

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I think that you are likely focused on the incorrect area. I used to live in the north east. I get it. Take two credit cards and put them on each side of each front door. Here is where: Look down low close to the front window. Locate where the plastic piller pieces joint up. Slip in each card on each side to separate the plastic. This solves the whole issue!
I’m almost 100% sure it’s coming from above my left ear, and pressing on the dome light while driving stops the noise. I’ll give this a shot though! So it’s in between the door panel plastic and the pillar plastic? A pillar or B pillar?

OP
OP
SiVIC0530

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I was able to re create the noise with the roof tilted and sun shader back

OP
OP
SiVIC0530

SiVIC0530

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys, so I have some news. I have not heard the clicking sound in at least a month. I think there is a large wire running from front to back along the drivers side edge of the sunroof structure. I removed the sunroof metal thing that slides the sun shade back, and took the black plastic pieces that connect that to the sunroof rails off. I then removed some of the foam between the metal of the roof and the sunroof frame. Through a small 1/4 inch space I could visualize a blue wire. I shoved in as much foam as I could into this space, and haven't heard it while driving since. Interestingly, If I push up on the dome light/headliner, I can SOMETIMES reproduce a single "click", but I no longer hear the repetitive clicking while driving. I'm thinking the wire broke free from a clip or something and was allowed to freely rattle against the sunroof frame. Pics to come soon
Sponsored