Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Hello Mr. Hoodlum ~

Can you please tell me where you confirmed this information regarding the Canada Sport trim? ... a link?

Guys, I'm seriously seriously pondering the possibility of importing a Sport hatch back from Toronto. .. going to start the due diligence now
Most of the Sport trim info can be found in the Honda Canada press release in the OP.
Sponsored

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
Then why did you have to quote the ENTIRE rant?!?

I would say the problem is the cost. AFAIK, the EPA in the US demands payment to certify every engine and transmission combination sold. This amount is probably not small. And 'enthusiasts' talk a good game about cars, engines and trannies. They rant and rave, and when the object of their attention is finally offered, they don't buy it...

If you wanted 'your' car THAT badly, you'd just buy one in Canada and import it...
I already proved (with my two Ford purchases) that I didn't want the car bad enough. It's not worth it. I'm not spending $25K-30K for a car, driving it from one country to another, voiding the warranty once it crosses into the US border. Makes absolutely no sense to have to go thru all of that.

Although I stopped reading about half way through....I have to agree with the frustration.
I would love to get a manual with the turbo with at least some upgrade in trim: CarPlay and heated seats would be nice....esp since they already build the car for Canada.
Clearly Honda thinks that Canada wants these combinations and USA does not (just saw a video showing China gets these combos too), and I am assuming that they have done some market analysis to support those decisions, but it is frustrating.
I suspect that the buy in Canada and import into US is highly cost prohibitive.....cheaper just to b#tch about Honda.
They deserve to be bitched to because it was Mendal and others at Honda USA that claimed the 10th gen would be the Sportiest Civic ever..then they turn around and limit the 6mt for the basic trim levels.

Maybe I'll call a Honda-Canada dealership today and ask some questions ...

this link posted by our friend seems to outline the legal/customs logistics ... I guess I'd just have to make sure the Honda-Canada dealer doesn't have any issues with my objective ...

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...e/importing-vehicle-from-canada/#.V8A9dZMrKV4

Another key question - back here in the homeland, would Honda-USA dealers honor my warranty without any issues??

:bow: *jeez, why is it so hard to get a 6MT civic with a sunroof
Honda does not honor the warranty of the Canadian models once you bring it across the border.

odells

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at 2017 Civic Hatchback
re: "Honda does not honor the warranty of the Canadian models once you bring it across the border."

frequently Asked Questions
Section 1. Movement of Vehicles between Canada and the United States
If I move to the United States with my Canadian Honda, will the manufacturer's warranty be valid in the U.S.?
https://www.honda.ca/owners/faqs/vehicle-movement

nick82bk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
re: "Honda does not honor the warranty of the Canadian models once you bring it across the border."

If I move to the United States with my Canadian Honda, will the manufacturer's warranty be valid in the U.S.?

WOW Guys .... this is really becoming a possibility. I live in New York. doing this transaction in Toronto/Montreal is not all that bad... There's a sh*t ton of due diligence and effort i need to make ---- but for a Civic Sport-Hatch , 6MT with a Sunroof ..... :headbang:

By the way,, I'm 6'0" , so headroom isn't an issue .... and i'm driving this baby cross-country from NY to CA!!!

If a hatchback is what i want,, what are my other damn options ::
- Mazda 3
- Focus
- Hyundai
- Kia
- Chevy Cruz??

:/ I want a Civic tho ...

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
I'm personally going to wait and see how the Si lineup sorts out before thinking too hard about importing from Canada - but the option is on the list.

Some folks here (and on TOV) seem to be convinced that there will be no Si hatch, but I haven't seen any reason to jump to that conclusion. Like I've said, though, it's possible that some of the confident participants here have some inside info that they aren't able to (or aren't willing to) substantiate. Given the information we have, though, it seems highly likely to me that we'll see a 5 door Si - and I wouldn't be surprised if the final decision on that was made between the initial PR release and the "update" that yanked the 6MT EX.

If somebody has any sort of inside info, tho, I'd love to hear it.

I'm 6'4", and the only sunroof that I've ever had any trouble with was in my 3rd gen Prelude - but I'd rather hit my head on the roof than not have a sunroof.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm 6'4", and the only sunroof that I've ever had any trouble with was in my 3rd gen Prelude
Wish they'd make another Prelude like car... with the good old dual wishbones too!

racinginblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 civic exl 2016 lx coupe
us dealers will not sell us a brand new car to import used no problem but there are cars we cannot import so I'm assuming it works both ways

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I already proved (with my two Ford purchases) that I didn't want the car bad enough. It's not worth it. I'm not spending $25K-30K for a car, driving it from one country to another, voiding the warranty once it crosses into the US border. Makes absolutely no sense to have to go thru all of that.

They deserve to be bitched to because it was Mendal and others at Honda USA that claimed the 10th gen would be the Sportiest Civic ever..then they turn around and limit the 6mt for the basic trim levels.

Honda does not honor the warranty of the Canadian models once you bring it across the border.

The issue is figuring out a way to bitch to Honda to where they could hear it. They certainly aren't following civicx.com, unfortunately.

Plus if it was easier to import from Canada, that would be an option to consider. However all the red tape and loops you have to go through to do such a thing is ridiculous.

Wish you could just special order a Honda. Hell I'd pay a premium for the manual transmission on a better trim. Getting a sport hatchback with 4 whole speaks and no option for sunroof, and no apple/android is just a shame, especially in 2016.

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag

According to Honda.ca:

Technically, as is stated in the Warranty Guide that is provided in the glove box of every vehicle sold, the manufacturer's warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. is only valid for vehicles that are "normally operated in Canada". However, American Honda will provide warranty coverage for the applicable warranty period if you fax or mail the following documents before you move to the United States:

• A copy of a current Canadian driver's license to show proof of Canadian residency

• A copy of the Canadian Bill of Sale, which must have the VIN, selling dealer name, and engine number

• A copy of the Canadian permanent vehicle registration. Temporary registration is not acceptable.

• A copy of the current vehicle registration in the United States.
You must contact American Honda Automobile Customer Relations (1-800-999-1009) to determine if the above applies in your specific case, and if the warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. can be applied to your situa
So theoretically one could import a Civic (or Accord or whatever Honda) across the border and maintain the warranty...If you can provide all of the information required above. I guess I'd have to move to Canada, establish residency, go thru all the financing, etc. Wait for a while, move back and try and register it in the US. Yea, I'm not going thru all of that. So again, unless you plan to move to Canada and get a hold of residency, its a stupid idea. I work for the largest dialysis company in the world (and I happen to travel all over this country for them.) I don't have the time nor the patience to give up my travel position, move to Canada, go thru all that red tape just to get a mainstream sedan/hatchback equipped the way Honda USA ought to be offering it in the first place. I'll just do as I have already done...move on to Mazda or keep buying Fords. My two Fords have been very good. I only considered the Civic again because we were told the 1.5t would be available with a manual transmission. I (and it seems quite a few of you) were naive enough to think Honda might offer that combo with feature content that's not still stuck in the 1980s. Oh well.

I'm personally going to wait and see how the Si lineup sorts out before thinking too hard about importing from Canada - but the option is on the list.

Some folks here (and on TOV) seem to be convinced that there will be no Si hatch, but I haven't seen any reason to jump to that conclusion. Like I've said, though, it's possible that some of the confident participants here have some inside info that they aren't able to (or aren't willing to) substantiate. Given the information we have, though, it seems highly likely to me that we'll see a 5 door Si - and I wouldn't be surprised if the final decision on that was made between the initial PR release and the "update" that yanked the 6MT EX.

If somebody has any sort of inside info, tho, I'd love to hear it.

I'm 6'4", and the only sunroof that I've ever had any trouble with was in my 3rd gen Prelude - but I'd rather hit my head on the roof than not have a sunroof.
I hope we do get a hatchback SI, but some of the insiders over at Vtec.net (like JeffX and NealX I think) who go to all of the Honda events and who run the website have pretty much said the SI is reserved for the Sedan/Coupe. More and more of those "insiders" are saying the Civic SI will be a 1.5t. Nail. In. Coffin.

us dealers will not sell us a brand new car to import used no problem but there are cars we cannot import so I'm assuming it works both ways
I haven't seen anything official per se, but I have seen several posts thru the years where people have tried to cross the US/Canadian border to buy cars and the dealerships who have sold them have been reprimanded by the Brands/Corporate Divisions of the manufacturers.

The issue is figuring out a way to bitch to Honda to where they could hear it. They certainly aren't following civicx.com, unfortunately.

Plus if it was easier to import from Canada, that would be an option to consider. However all the red tape and loops you have to go through to do such a thing is ridiculous.

Wish you could just special order a Honda. Hell I'd pay a premium for the manual transmission on a better trim. Getting a sport hatchback with 4 whole speaks and no option for sunroof, and no apple/android is just a shame, especially in 2016.
I dunno, I have read that Honda employees frequent this site, Vtec.net, DriveAccord.net, etc. One never knows.

I'd be very much open to that idea of special ordering! I think though, at this point. I'm moving on to a Mazda 3 S GT or a Mazda CX-5 GT in the next 6 months or so. I travel for work so a crossover would make more sense for everything I carry. I do like hatchbacks and manuals though, so the Mazda3 might fit the bill. We shall see how it goes. The Fiesta is a fun little car, but its underpowered and a bit too small for my traveling needs. I'd also like to consider the new CR-V, but I'm hearing its delayed until next year (MY2018) and I wonder who much it will be discounted. The current CR-V isnt my cup of tea. A new CX-5 is on the way too so its going to be interesting to see what I choose. When it comes to crossovers, I'm ok with an automatic, when it comes to compact hatches, I vastly prefer a manual.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
I dunno, I have read that Honda employees frequent this site, Vtec.net, DriveAccord.net, etc. One never knows.
If you're referring to the people that say "I work for Honda", but are salesmen, they don't actually work for Honda.

Has anyone every asked Honda if there's a way to give feedback?
https://twitter.com/HondaCustSvc

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
If you're referring to the people that say "I work for Honda", but are salesmen, they don't actually work for Honda.

https://twitter.com/HondaCustSvc
No, some of them are actual Honda employees. I only know of two or three who actually sale the products. It's not uncommon for automakers to have people frequent enthusiast websites for feedback on product, issues with product, etc.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
You're kinda wasting your time - the problem starts at the very top unfortunately - until Mendel is fired or leaves, Honda US is mostly a lost cause to enthusiasts. The Mendel years have been terrible - his agenda is clearly on meeting EPA regs and electrification. The appliancenization of Honda is something you can thank Mendel for.

Rawnerve1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 crv
Country flag
Just a few questions for people following the hatch.

1.Do you really think it will be on sale this upcoming week or the the following week?
My car is dying a really bad death and it cant hold on much longer.

2. Seeing that the hatch has more cargo room vs the sedan. Will I loose more leg room from the front and back passengers. Being that this is my family car that I will use for short road trips and still have a 2010 crv. I rather have more leg room vs cargo space.

3. Price. I know its gonna be more then the sedan but are we talking a few hundred or a 1000. Right now the touring sedan is being priced about 3k under sticker in my area. At about 24300.00. Im sure for the first few months it will only be about 1500.00 off give or take..

I would really hate to buy the touring sedan and then the hatch comes out and I regret it..