Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
it doesn't say it's kind of just a basic sheet i think I can upload it.

doesn't say this either just says the touring gets 12speakers
Anything about colors? Like will all colors be available for the Sport trim, or any trim exclusive colors?
Sponsored

nick82bk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I've been lurking here for a while but felt compelled to give my 0.02 cents.

I'm super frustrated with Honda for once again relegating stick shift enuthiasts to poverty-spec vehicles. I've been eagerly anticipating the hatchback since it was announced. When we found out that only up to the EX would be available with the MT I was a bit upset, but I came around to the fact that I could live with cloth seats and no leather steering wheel/shift knob. At least I'd get Android Auto and the touch screen. Oops, just kidding, that was a typo. No EX manual for you.

So now we are down to the "sport" with no phone interface and supposedly only 4 speakers. Oh but thank GOD, it has a leather-wrapped steering wheel. Congratulations Honda, you just sold a 2017 Mazda3.

Sorry for the rant, just irritated with the company at the moment. I REALLY wanted a Civic hatch with a manual transmission. Unless they offer the "sport" model at some insane bargain price I really see no compelling reason to choose it over a loaded Mazda3 that in all likelihood will probably only be a few grand more expensive.

Anyone else feeling as vexed as I am?!
MPD ~ I appreciate your words here. 100%. as this guy notavr just confirmed it - sunroof only on EX-and up.....

So yes, you're spot on in your point.. Why they do that?? Why NOT MAKE a 6MT with a SUNROOF ... Nope, we can't even expect to pay more $$$ and have a 6MT available on the Sport Touring.... nope. The combo doesn't even exist.

I can not buy a NEW HONDA CIVIC AUTOMOBILE with the combination of a manual transmission and a damn 'roof ... and we're in 2016-2017 right?

I mean damn. This really hurts my feelings

~

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
MPD ~ I appreciate your words here. 100%. as this guy notavr just confirmed it - sunroof only on EX-and up.....

So yes, you're spot on in your point.. Why they do that?? Why NOT MAKE a 6MT with a SUNROOF ... Nope, we can't even expect to pay more $$$ and have a 6MT available on the Sport Touring.... nope. The combo doesn't even exist.

I can not buy a NEW HONDA CIVIC AUTOMOBILE with the combination of a manual transmission and a damn 'roof ... and we're in 2016-2017 right?

~
Sorry, no 6MT, turbo and sunroof combo on the hatch. Reserved for the Si coupe/sedan only.

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
OK thanks for checking. Any idea what trims the sedan and coupe will be offered with the manual and turbo?

~
Sorry, no 6MT, turbo and sunroof combo on the hatch. Reserved for the Si coupe/sedan only.
I've been convinced since 2014 that Honda USA does not need or want my money. I've bought two cars since my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd sedan. I've tried to shop Honda on two occasions but the product packaging has made it far too difficult. Instead of having 2014 Accord and 2016 Civics in my driveway. I have two Fords...a 2014 Fusion and a 2016 Fiesta. Both SE models, both manual transmissions and both fully loaded. Sunroof, Leather (Fusion) navigation, optional wheels. I really wanted to replace my 2007 Accord EX-L 5spd manual sedan with another Accord..either a Sport or a Touring I4 with a 6mt but the Sport was under equipped and the Touring was only available in V6/6spd automatic form in the US.

Ironically, Honda Canada did offer an Accord Touring I4/6mt at the time...if only I lived in Canada!

Honda's rigid model trims without optional packages has made it hard for me to stay with them over the years. Their hollowing out of manual transmissions on anything but the LX and Sport (and EX Accord) and there stinginess with the 2 to 4 color choices for said manual models at best has made it hard for me to stay around as well. I prefer manuals, and Honda makes some of the best in the business. Apparently they don't want many people buying those good manuals these days, at least not in the US.

We have a complete hollowing out of manuals in the Civic lineup. It has been that way since MY2012. It is great that we finally get a Civic hatchback. While I'm not crazy about the slanted rear end of the hatch, I do think its a great addition to the lineup and I was willing to consider one, especially after John Mendal went on and on about how this 10th would be the "Epic Civic" and the "Most sporty Civic Ever" etc, etc. 1.5t with a manual, etc. Kinda got excited about the prospect of a 1.5t/6MT and I was certain that we'd be able to get some combination of 1.5t/6mt/sunroof. Figured at the very least we'd get an EX 1.5t

I recall this same song and dance for the last two generations.

In MY2013, after the extensive update of the Civic, I remember seeing a press release saying the EX sedan would offer a manual. Folks got excited, especially on Vtec.net, but once the car hit dealerships the EX/manual trim level was removed. We never got a 2013 Civic EX manual sedan.

If ya'll recall last year when the Civic sedan was released there was talk that an EX 1.5t 6MT was supposed to happen then...it didn't but we all know later this year the 1.5t/6mt will be available. My bet at this point is that Honda will likely release a "Sport" 1.5t Sedan and it will be the only manual. No EX-t 6MT, definitely no EX-L or Touring 6MT. The Coupe MIGHT get an EX or Touring manual but I doubt it.

So...When I posted the "Unofficial Civic Hatchback Trim Level List" a month ago, my heart sank a bit when I saw that the 6MT was limited to the LX and Sport.

Couple weeks ago we finally get an official press release and I see that the LX, Sport and EX trim levels get the 6MT. I'm excited about it, but cautious because we've seen Honda release press info with errors. Mind you, even the EX hatchback would have been too much of a compromise for me (no leather-wrapped steering wheel, chintzy cloth, bland wheels, etc) The best way to satisfy me would have been to build a Civic Sport Hatch equipped something like the Accord Sport in Canada with a manual transmission. Vinyl steering wheels are so 1990s.

Anyway, I got even more upset (Livid even) when I peeped Honda Canada's press release. Like clockwork, I already knew that little ole Canada would offer fewer trim levels with more transmission choices (and probably more color choices too.) Every trim level...from the LX, Sport to the Sport Touring, is available with the 6MT in Canada. They get leather seats, LED headlights, heated front seats, heated rear seats, power front seats, a sunroof AND a 6MT in Canada, along with AA/AC and much more.

All we get are power windows, locks, mirrors, a body kit and 18 inch wheels with the manual transmission at the very most.

Yea, Honda USA doesn't give a damn about us.

Seems mighty strange that we have a much much larger car market in the US and we end up being the market with the fewest amount of choices for the enthusiast.

So here we go again. Honda builds a product I like, with the transmission I like, but not in the trim level that I'm accustomed to (EX-L or higher) I do not want to hear about how Android Auto and Apple Carplay are "overrated" I don't want to hear about how "a sunroof is not important" or "I never use a sunroof" or "well at least they offer a manual at all" or how I can add such and such to car that will already retail for $24 or $25k that should already be equipped with content that the competition offer for similar money...to my mind its all bullshit.

Honda Canada manages to make things much simpler and yet somehow ends up offering more choices to its enthusiast consumers than Honda USA does. I have said for years that the "EX" trim level on the Accord needs to die. Before the 2016 update, the EX trim didn't sell all that well. Combine the EX and Sport together to give us the best of both worlds. Honda does just that in Canada, and offers the Sport with AA/AC, Sunroof, heated front seats/mirrors, lane watch, 6 spearker audio with touch screen and much more. The Accord Sport in the US is a LX with sport trim. The Civic Sport Hatchback will basically be the same as the US Accord Sport...an LX with leather wrapped wheel, bigger rims, body kit...but no upgrade in audio equipment, no sunroof, none of the trim that I would want.

Then you look at the Sport Touring...its got all the content I would want. LED headlights upfront, power front seats, sunroof (even though it should be a panoroof) leather seats, etc. but its automatic only, too.

Add to the fact that there won't be an SI hatchback and I just feel like Honda doesn't really care to cater to the enthusiast. All the automakers that claim to offer "Sporty" hatchbacks manages to offer those models in loaded trim levels with a stick shift.

It would seem like since the hatchback won't get an SI trim (which is the stupidest thing I have ever seen Honda do, since the Civic SI models used to be hatchback only) when Ford and VW have no problem moving Focus ST/RS and Golf GTI/R models, we'd get a Civic Sport Touring 6MT/1.5t at least.

But alas, we do not. Because Honda USA does not give a shit about us enthusiast. Ask me how I know? Check out Honda Canada's press release. Shoot, check out Honda/Acura Canada's track record compared to Honda/Acura USA!

The Kia Forte 5 SX, Ford Focus SE and Mazda3 GT all offer high levels of equipment with a 6MT. The Focus and soon the Elantra will offer high performance hatch models with manual transmissions and high levels of equipment.

But Honda? Nothing but a big gaping hole between the Civic Sport Hatchback that's underequipped and the Civic Type R which will be out of reach for 90 percent of Civic buyers. I personally could afford one if I wanted it, but I already know its styling (and kits and spoilers) will be too gaudy for me.

A clean SI hatchback (or even a Sport Touring) hatchback might fit the bill.

I have tried to forgive Honda USA for not offering the Accord Touring I4/6MT, not offering the ILX wit 6mt and Tech pkg in 2014, for not offering the Accord Sport with equipment similar to the Accord EX (as they do in Canada), for not giving the 2016-17 Accords the full LED taillights they give Touring Accords in Canada, for not equipping the ole SI with all of the content of the Canadian SI.

The last straw left for me is the Civic SI itself. We've been waiting over a year for the new SI, speculation keeps running between a 1.5t and a 2.0t

I can already predict the disappointment with the SI too. 1.5t with about 210hp, no LED headlights, slight performance bump that will keep it competitive until the new GTI/Focus ST hit the market in a year or two and leave the SI in the dust, again.

Wouldn't it be a shame if we've been forced to wait over a year for the Civic SI to only be disappointed with its engine choices and its lack of equipment? I can't say I'd be surprised if this prediction turns out to be true. You see, Honda's track record for delivering for the enthusiast has been weak for years. The botched packaging of the new Hatchback just adds fuel to this burning fire.

I give up! Mazda or Ford are gonna end up with more of my money!

Sincerely,

The Former Honda Enthusiast Who Left the Brand In 2014.

Last edited:

civicXwhy?Z1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
I've been convinced since 2014 that Honda USA does not need or want my money. I've bought two cars since my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L 5spd sedan. I've tried to shop Honda on two occasions but the product packaging has made it far too difficult. Instead of having 2014 Accord and 2016 Civics in my driveway. I have two Fords...a 2014 Fusion and a 2016 Fiesta. Both SE models, both manual transmissions and both fully loaded. Sunroof, Leather (Fusion) navigation, optional wheels. I really wanted to replace my 2007 Accord EX-L 5spd manual sedan with another Accord..either a Sport or a Touring I4 with a 6mt but the Sport was under equipped and the Touring was only available in V6/6spd automatic form in the US.

Ironically, Honda Canada did offer an Accord Touring I4/6mt at the time...if only I lived in Canada!

Honda's rigid model trims without optional packages has made it hard for me to stay with them over the years. Their hollowing out of manual transmissions on anything but the LX and Sport (and EX Accord) and there stinginess with the 2 to 4 color choices for said manual models at best has made it hard for me to stay around as well. I prefer manuals, and Honda makes some of the best in the business. Apparently they don't want many people buying those good manuals these days, at least not in the US.

We have a complete hollowing out of manuals in the Civic lineup. It has been that way since MY2012. It is great that we finally get a Civic hatchback. While I'm not crazy about the slanted rear end of the hatch, I do think its a great addition to the lineup and I was willing to consider one, especially after John Mendal went on and on about how this 10th would be the "Epic Civic" and the "Most sporty Civic Ever" etc, etc. 1.5t with a manual, etc. Kinda got excited about the prospect of a 1.5t/6MT and I was certain that we'd be able to get some combination of 1.5t/6mt/sunroof. Figured at the very least we'd get an EX 1.5t

I recall this same song and dance for the last two generations.

In MY2013, after the extensive update of the Civic, I remember seeing a press release saying the EX sedan would offer a manual. Folks got excited, especially on Vtec.net, but once the car hit dealerships the EX/manual trim level was removed. We never got a 2013 Civic EX manual sedan.

If ya'll recall last year when the Civic sedan was released there was talk that an EX 1.5t 6MT was supposed to happen then...it didn't but we all know later this year the 1.5t/6mt will be available. My bet at this point is that Honda will likely release a "Sport" 1.5t Sedan and it will be the only manual. No EX-t 6MT, definitely no EX-L or Touring 6MT. The Coupe MIGHT get an EX or Touring manual but I doubt it.

So...When I posted the "Unofficial Civic Hatchback Trim Level List" a month ago, my heart sank a bit when I saw that the 6MT was limited to the LX and Sport.

Couple weeks ago we finally get an official press release and I see that the LX, Sport and EX trim levels get the 6MT. I'm excited about it, but cautious because we've seen Honda release press info with errors. Mind you, even the EX hatchback would have been too much of a compromise for me (no leather-wrapped steering wheel, chintzy cloth, bland wheels, etc) The best way to satisfy me would have been to build a Civic Sport Hatch equipped something like the Accord Sport in Canada with a manual transmission. Vinyl steering wheels are so 1990s.

Anyway, I got even more upset (Livid even) when I peeped Honda Canada's press release. Like clockwork, I already knew that little ole Canada would offer fewer trim levels with more transmission choices (and probably more color choices too.) Every trim level...from the LX, Sport to the Sport Touring, is available with the 6MT in Canada. They get leather seats, LED headlights, heated front seats, heated rear seats, power front seats, a sunroof AND a 6MT in Canada, along with AA/AC and much more.

All we get are power windows, locks, mirrors, a body kit and 18 inch wheels with the manual transmission at the very most.

Yea, Honda USA doesn't give a damn about us.

Seems mighty strange that we have a much much larger car market in the US and we end up being the market with the fewest amount of choices for the enthusiast.

So here we go again. Honda builds a product I like, with the transmission I like, but not in the trim level that I'm accustomed to (EX-L or higher) I do not want to hear about how Android Auto and Apple Carplay are "overrated" I don't want to hear about how "a sunroof is not important" or "I never use a sunroof" or "well at least they offer a manual at all" or how I can add such and such to car that will already retail for $24 or $25k that should already be equipped with content that the competition offer for similar money...to my mind its all bullshit.

Honda Canada manages to make things much simpler and yet somehow ends up offering more choices to its enthusiast consumers than Honda USA does. I have said for years that the "EX" trim level on the Accord needs to die. Before the 2016 update, the EX trim didn't sell all that well. Combine the EX and Sport together to give us the best of both worlds. Honda does just that in Canada, and offers the Sport with AA/AC, Sunroof, heated front seats/mirrors, lane watch, 6 spearker audio with touch screen and much more. The Accord Sport in the US is a LX with sport trim. The Civic Sport Hatchback will basically be the same as the US Accord Sport...an LX with leather wrapped wheel, bigger rims, body kit...but no upgrade in audio equipment, no sunroof, none of the trim that I would want.

Then you look at the Sport Touring...its got all the content I would want. LED headlights upfront, power front seats, sunroof (even though it should be a panoroof) leather seats, etc. but its automatic only, too.

Add to the fact that there won't be an SI hatchback and I just feel like Honda doesn't really care to cater to the enthusiast. All the automakers that claim to offer "Sporty" hatchbacks manages to offer those models in loaded trim levels with a stick shift.

It would seem like since the hatchback won't get an SI trim (which is the stupidest thing I have ever seen Honda do, since the Civic SI models used to be hatchback only) when Ford and VW have no problem moving Focus ST/RS and Golf GTI/R models, we'd get a Civic Sport Touring 6MT/1.5t at least.

But alas, we do not. Because Honda USA does not give a shit about us enthusiast. Ask me how I know? Check out Honda Canada's press release. Shoot, check out Honda/Acura Canada's track record compared to Honda/Acura USA!

The Kia Forte 5 SX, Ford Focus SE and Mazda3 GT all offer high levels of equipment with a 6MT. The Focus and soon the Elantra will offer high performance hatch models with manual transmissions and high levels of equipment.

But Honda? Nothing but a big gaping hole between the Civic Sport Hatchback that's underequipped and the Civic Type R which will be out of reach for 90 percent of Civic buyers. I personally could afford one if I wanted it, but I already know its styling (and kits and spoilers) will be too gaudy for me.

A clean SI hatchback (or even a Sport Touring) hatchback might fit the bill.

I have tried to forgive Honda USA for not offering the Accord Touring I4/6MT, not offering the ILX wit 6mt and Tech pkg in 2014, for not offering the Accord Sport with equipment similar to the Accord EX (as they do in Canada), for not giving the 2016-17 Accords the full LED taillights they give Touring Accords in Canada, for not equipping the ole SI with all of the content of the Canadian SI.

The last straw left for me is the Civic SI itself. We've been waiting over a year for the new SI, speculation keeps running between a 1.5t and a 2.0t

I can already predict the disappointment with the SI too. 1.5t with about 210hp, no LED headlights, slight performance bump that will keep it competitive until the new GTI/Focus ST hit the market in a year or two and leave the SI in the dust, again.

Wouldn't it be a shame if we've been forced to wait over a year for the Civic SI to only be disappointed with its engine choices and its lack of equipment? I can't say I'd be surprised if this prediction turns out to be true. You see, Honda's track record for delivering for the enthusiast has been weak for years. The botched packaging of the new Hatchback just adds fuel to this burning fire.

I give up! Mazda or Ford are gonna end up with more of my money!

Sincerely,

The Former Honda Enthusiast Who Left the Brand In 2014.
Well, you got it off your chest and all that's left to say now is, "Good-bye."

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Well, you got it off your chest and all that's left to say now is, "Good-bye."
Then why did you have to quote the ENTIRE rant?!?

I would say the problem is the cost. AFAIK, the EPA in the US demands payment to certify every engine and transmission combination sold. This amount is probably not small. And 'enthusiasts' talk a good game about cars, engines and trannies. They rant and rave, and when the object of their attention is finally offered, they don't buy it...

If you wanted 'your' car THAT badly, you'd just buy one in Canada and import it...

comptonx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Country flag
Although I stopped reading about half way through....I have to agree with the frustration.
I would love to get a manual with the turbo with at least some upgrade in trim: CarPlay and heated seats would be nice....esp since they already build the car for Canada.
Clearly Honda thinks that Canada wants these combinations and USA does not (just saw a video showing China gets these combos too), and I am assuming that they have done some market analysis to support those decisions, but it is frustrating.
I suspect that the buy in Canada and import into US is highly cost prohibitive.....cheaper just to b#tch about Honda.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Shouldn't be. Especially with our dollar only being 3/4 yours. The cars are identical in North Americe, so the only cost would be import fees. The digital speedo should easily be switchable to MPH.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Honda does seem to snub the enthusiast who also likes high end features. I can get a fully loaded manual GTI or Mazda3 or even a Forte5 SX turbo but not a Civic. Sucks.

The hatchback Sport won't even have heated side mirrors which is pretty entry level.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Although I stopped reading about half way through....I have to agree with the frustration.
I would love to get a manual with the turbo with at least some upgrade in trim: CarPlay and heated seats would be nice....esp since they already build the car for Canada.
Clearly Honda thinks that Canada wants these combinations and USA does not (just saw a video showing China gets these combos too), and I am assuming that they have done some market analysis to support those decisions, but it is frustrating.
I suspect that the buy in Canada and import into US is highly cost prohibitive.....cheaper just to b#tch about Honda.
I looked into it once-upon-a-time when I wanted to buy an Accord Touring with a 4cyl 6-speed from Canada. The most difficult thing to me was getting the financing worked out. Seems as if you better have cash or a line of credit worked out with the bank before you go because I don't think you can finance through Honda of America-or Honda of Canada finance offices. (Could be wrong about that-)

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It helps to have an address in the other country, and even more if you have accounts, etc... I know a lot of companies were persecuting dealers that dealt cross-border if they were caught, though.

nick82bk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It helps to have an address in the other country, and even more if you have accounts, etc... I know a lot of companies were persecuting dealers that dealt cross-border if they were caught, though.
Maybe I'll call a Honda-Canada dealership today and ask some questions ...

this link posted by our friend seems to outline the legal/customs logistics ... I guess I'd just have to make sure the Honda-Canada dealer doesn't have any issues with my objective ...

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...e/importing-vehicle-from-canada/#.V8A9dZMrKV4

Another key question - back here in the homeland, would Honda-USA dealers honor my warranty without any issues??

:bow: *jeez, why is it so hard to get a 6MT civic with a sunroof
Sponsored