Anyone into racing drones or RC?

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I like the scale aspect of the hobby too but get the most excitement from non-scale EDF "jets". Only about 5-10 minutes of flying, and I'm always a nervous wreck when I land lol.
IMG_3730.JPG
22042188_10209498911499942_5024530893741110849_o.jpg
Man, that Blazer is cool! What brand is the body and chassis? Is that a Redcat chassis?

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
And btw, I like to put little dudes in my cars. Just FYI for 1/10 the 6” wrestler dudes work. 1/12 like Dollar Store type wrestler guys like 4”-5” work. Might have to end up cutting them up. Someone gave away wrestler dudes for free on Craigslist so I’ve been using those.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I grew up racing 1/28's competitively. Small car = low cost, but disgustingly fast scale speeds and reaction times made it good training for real car racing.

Ended up designing and selling my own carbon chassis kits near the end of high school, I miss when I had the dedicated time to do all that R&D and product support for $50 lol.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone into racing drones or RC? 1605728641295

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone into racing drones or RC? 1605728656669

That whole rear suspension assembly is like 3 inches total haha, with virtual pivot points, anti-squat and rear steer all built in.

Casually dicked around with 1/10 rally, which I regret not keeping up with. Tamiya XV01's are so incredibly fun. Transverse front motor AWD behaves exactly like you would expect it to - roasting all four tires going sideways around a hairpin.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone into racing drones or RC? 1605728810002

Definitely picking up another XV01 Pro when the time allows for it.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I used to big a big proponent of nitro stuff especially if youve been playing with RC for a while. Lipo batteries imo made nitro not as popular but I see a little resurgence of the nitro stuff lately but mostly larger scale stuff.

I used to like to peruse Craigslist for old nitro stuff cheap and pull apart a seized engine and tinker with it. That was the fun part. I even got one free, an old Team Associated RC10gt. Some times you get nice deals like sometimes people just get out of the hobby and sell stuff cheap. I don’t have a lot of time and money so RC stuff is a fun outlet for me when I have a chance.
Although I have quite a few electrics and two brushless with lipos . actually I do run a brushed with a 2s lipo with 1800 mah bigger than that you’ll burn the motor or ESC but I still like the nitro tinkering around with the air and fuel mixture the noise and the cursing when you get the 2 speed gearbox two shift right ! But I do use the electric more. The track that I go to if I have the nitros I get a look from the grandfathers that supposedly bought that three hundred dollar RC car for their ” grandson” Which happens to be nowhere in sight. I guess they don’t like the noise :dunno: I’ll never get rid of my nitros

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I grew up racing 1/28's competitively. Small car = low cost, but disgustingly fast scale speeds and reaction times made it good training for real car racing.

Ended up designing and selling my own carbon chassis kits near the end of high school, I miss when I had the dedicated time to do all that R&D and product support for $50 lol.

1605728641295.png

1605728656669.png

That whole rear suspension assembly is like 3 inches total haha, with virtual pivot points, anti-squat and rear steer all built in.

Casually dicked around with 1/10 rally, which I regret not keeping up with. Tamiya XV01's are so incredibly fun. Transverse front motor AWD behaves exactly like you would expect it to - roasting all four tires going sideways around a hairpin.

1605728810002.png

The 1/28 are cool! I got into that scale with the Radio Shack XMODS cars and trucks. I used to do 1/24 scale models so I liked those xmods as the shells were really detailed. A 1/24 scale Shelby Cobra body fits these chassis without mods so long as you have the right wheelbase.

The Kyosho Mini Z are kinda pricey. I did find one of the Skynet Mad Max Interceptors locally mounted on a toy grade chassis. was happy just to find the body.

wow! Never seen the xv01 chassis! Looks high tech. The motor is mounted so far forward! Not even their FWD to chassis is that far forward. Interesting!

here’s my XMoDs cobra and a little video. Has lights too. Made the dude out of clay.

Honda Civic 10th gen Anyone into racing drones or RC? 1605730222076

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Although I have quite a few electrics and two brushless with lipos . actually I do run a brushed with a 2s lipo with 1800 mah bigger than that you’ll burn the motor or ESC but I still like the nitro tinkering around with the air and fuel mixture the noise and the cursing when you get the 2 speed gearbox two shift right ! But I do use the electric more. The track that I go to if I have the nitros I get a look from the grandfathers that supposedly bought that three hundred dollar RC car for their ” grandson” Which happens to be nowhere in sight. I guess they don’t like the noise :dunno: I’ll never get rid of my nitros
Yeah the noise adds to the fun. On one of my crawlers I added a cheap sound box but the real noise from a nitro engine is cool.

when you go to the track are you bringing nitro on or off road? I have some nitro trucks but the nitro on road cars are fun especially since they sound sorta like real small displacement gas engines. I haven’t gotten it out in a while but I remember my nitro HPI RS4 was so cool and handled well. My nitro trucks were like meat cleavers the way they moved (especially a T-Max) but the RS4 had almost surgical precision. Was fun slingshotting it out of corners.

It’s buried in the basement now behind other stuff. I like looking around my basement and finding stuff I forgot I had! I must have Alzheimer’s or something or else it means I have too much junk....

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
Man, that Blazer is cool! What brand is the body and chassis? Is that a Redcat chassis?
Thanks- its a Vaterra Ascender with the stock body painted black - discontinued I think. I added some detail bits from Shapeways. I made the spotlight from a xmas decoration.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah cool! Vaterra makes some cool stuff. They had a few crawlers years ago then they stopped. They have some onroad cars with really nice bodies then they stopped those too. :(

OP
OP
CrazyJFPV

CrazyJFPV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC1, 2014 BMW 128i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

1605728641295.png

1605728656669.png

1605728810002.png

Very cool!
I used to race Mini-Z back in the days!

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had 1/10 electric off road cars and trucks. 1st one i bought in 1998 it was a Kyosho Turbo Optima 4wd with a chain hooked to the different. Had a Losi 2wd kinwald edition, Losi truck. I used to race for about 4years then gave it up for online sim racing.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had 1/10 electric off road cars and trucks. 1st one i bought in 1998 it was a Kyosho Turbo Optima 4wd with a chain hooked to the different. Had a Losi 2wd kinwald edition, Losi truck. I used to race for about 4years then gave it up for online sim racing.
I believe horizon hobby bought Losi the kyosho that I owned were boats one nitro and sail most of my cars now are Arrma and horizon hobby two nitro traxxas

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This track was near me, sadly they closed down several years ago. They did hold a national championship one year.
http://leisurehoursraceway.com/
That’s pretty cool.

its tough having a local hobby shop let alone one with a track now a days. Used to be Hobbytowns in so many malls in the 70s and maybe the 80s but now all gone. Most stuff now is online ordering but unfortunately can’t have a track online for racing your car.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That’s pretty cool.

its tough having a local hobby shop let alone one with a track now a days. Used to be Hobbytowns in so many malls in the 70s and maybe the 80s but now all gone. Most stuff now is online ordering but unfortunately can’t have a track online for racing your car.
There’s a hobby shop in town ( probably the only one ) has a lot of RCs and his prices are the same as the online shops and he’s got a ton of inventory planes cars boats models tools (hobby) parts and trains z scale to Lionel a lot of customers travel a good distance to his shop.
When I left NY six years ago sadly a lot of hobby shop where closing down
Sponsored