Is the EX-T fun to drive?

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think the EX-T is a blast to drive and I GLADLY drive it every day as opposed to my 2000 Miata. I guess it depends on your expectations. I never came close to pushing the Miata to its limits because I'm not "that" type of driver and so the Civic provides the power I'm looking for when I want it (small bursts) on my daily Commute. I don't miss the shifting in the Miata (I still drive it once a week or so) and the Civic has SO many advantages to it (comfort, ride, space, lots of tech, 40+ MPG, plenty of space for the whole family, etc) that its a no brainer for me.
Sponsored

totopo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Ex Hatch, 370z
Country flag
To be honest, I was originally planning to buy a twin (FRS/BRZ) because I wanted a somewhat inexpensive sporty car. I don't need tons of power and I'd heard the twins are great in curvy roads, stuff like that.

But my price range has gotten quite a bit lower because I realized the complete costs for a twin would be a bit too much.

So right now I'm considering the EX-T. I want a car that's fun to drive, and the EX-T seems to fit that bill with the 1.5L Turbo.

I haven't really seen any posts here about how it drives with respect to the "sporty" side of it. I know it's not a sports car, and probably isn't meant to be one. But on the other hand I'd imagine the turbo helps a little.

How does it feel on curvy roads? What does it drive like? I haven't test driven it but plan to in the next couple days. Don't think I'll get to drive it on a nice road though.

Do any of you just take it out to drive for fun much?

I'd be using it as a commuter car but also hopefully just for fun drives on weekends and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance! :werd:
what's your budget/requirements? have you considered a ford FiST? it's probably a lot more sporty.

the civic and brz are worlds apart in handling.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
My set up cost $1730 including shipping
That sounds pretty good, as far as the wheel and tire set goes
I love it when almost $2000 for a set of wheels and tires sounds good to people. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, it's just that I remember when a very nice set of wheels and tires was around $600.

Sorry, back to topic.

Kokuryu2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe, 2016 HRV
Vehicle Showcase
I love it when almost $2000 for a set of wheels and tires sounds good to people. I'm not trying to make anyone mad, it's just that I remember when a very nice set of wheels and tires was around $600.

Sorry, back to topic.
I could have gotten a cheaper set but cheaper means heavier or some weird off brand. Enkei makes OEM wheels for Honda and if you check out the Civic OEM wheel prices in comparison, I would have paid more for those than what I have now. Some people don't see even 2k to be out of the question for a mod that makes a car you already like to drive into something you love to drive.

I am also hanging on to the wheels it came with because when I trade my car I will want to keep my aftermarket set up for my next car. A lot of people on here are selling their original set and coming fairly close to paying for their new set up in the process. Just depends what your plans are and if you like to keep cars a long time or not.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every car can be fun to drive in the right hands. I had a Ford Tempo that was pretty dang fun to beat on.
Wow, I learned to drive in Tempo. 80's red with a cream interior. Car had 10k miles and the paint was already fading. It was indeed fun to beat on. It was winter in the Midwest so my instructor took me to untreated parking lots. That thing would go from understeer to oversteer in A split second. Good times.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag

Sorry, back to topic.
Well you can't buy just the 4 tires for $600 for the Civic especially if you have the 17" wheels like me :) I believe those tires will run you about $700 with tax even at Costco with a $70 discount when its time to change them (might be slightly more when its actually time to change)

I'd probably like Michelin MXM Primacy or Defender on my Civic for ride quality but I can wait till my Firestones wear out for that. Not a $700 need for me right now :)

Happy with the factory wheels and I won't be changing them unless they roll off the car.

These $600 wheels and tires you talk about....are they the old steel wheels or alloys? The Alloys run pretty high for any car. $2k with good tires sounds about right.

MichaelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I guess I'm in the minority, but I think the EX-T is a blast to drive
Same here. Don't get me wrong... I realize the Civic is not a sports car by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd consider it to be at the upper end of economy cars, and I find it very fun to drive. Presumably if I were a car enthusiast and had driven true sports cars before this Civic, I'd feel differently, but my previous cars were mostly Civics too, and I'm just a normal guy who doesn't drive particularly aggressively but still enjoys a peppy car. To me, it's the right amount of sportiness (both in terms of appearance and driving characteristics).

cycledrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord sedan 4 cyl
I had a 2016 Civic EX-T sedan rental for several days and took it on some very windy roads for a long way. We have GREAT backroads on the SF Bay area peninsula (actually all over). The steering feel / feedback is very good and it handles really well. Power is certainly adequate, but let's face it, it's not a high powered 'sports car' or out and out 'fun to drve' car like I guess a Subaru STI or something like that. But neither of those average 39.x MPG like I got over 3 days.

Beyond that, what brought the fun or joy down a bit for me was the seat comfort / driving position. I'm 6'2" tall, long legs and the cushion tilt was a little flat, cushion itself a bit short and narrow.
The 8-way power seat would improve the situation cause I could tilt the cushion up more for leg support and just have more flexibility with it. But, no mistake, Civic doesn't seat a driver like an Accord and I don't expect it to.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait for the manual! FWD cars can be fun (even more than RWD in a daily commute) if equipped with a manual transmission and the right suspension setup: 2002 Cooper s, Integra type r, GTI, Fiesta ST, and many others for example. The 6 speed turbo Civic is not as sporty as those but it is a very good family car with a great balance between fun and comfort for everyday driving, thanks to the powerful engine and light weight.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Well you can't buy just the 4 tires for $600 for the Civic especially if you have the 17" wheels like me :) I believe those tires will run you about $700 with tax even at Costco with a $70 discount when its time to change them (might be slightly more when its actually time to change)
You can still get good tires for a decent price. I just put some tires on my wife's SUV about 2 months ago, all four of the 17" tires, was just under $500 total. It probably depends on where someone lives, and how much of a brand whore they are too though. I don't know what Costco is, so I can't comment there.

These $600 wheels and tires you talk about....are they the old steel wheels or alloys? The Alloys run pretty high for any car. $2k with good tires sounds about right.
Yeah, might sound right to people NOW, that was my point. And no, I was talking about chrome or polished wheels. I put a set of polished 5 spokes on my truck a while back. Nice wheels, plus good Good Year tires, they were right around $600.

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
You can still get good tires for a decent price. I just put some tires on my wife's SUV about 2 months ago, all four of the 17" tires, was just under $500 total. It probably depends on where someone lives, and how much of a brand whore they are too though. I don't know what Costco is, so I can't comment there.
Hmm seriously?:) I didn't realize someone has not heard or know of Costco in the US LOL There is always a first time.

Yeah I don't know about cheap tires and their quality. You can chalk me up as a brand whore since I am partial to Michelins and on every car I owned, once the OEM tires wear out, I replace them with Michelins at Costco. I believe they have Bridgestone and Dunlop as well but I always go with Michelins and for the right reasons.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Hmm seriously?:) I didn't realize someone has not heard or know of Costco in the US LOL There is always a first time.
I've seen the name before, but we don't have any around here anywhere, so I don't know what it is. I'm fine with that though. We probably have some places around here that others have never heard of.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My EXT coupe is a blast to drive. But then, I've driven Civics for 31 years. My 1st one, an 85 hatch was manual. After 15 years and 265k miles, I was ready for auto. Shifting is a real pain.

EnergyGreen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX T
I also find my EXT fun to drive, granted its not a sports car but it is a fun little whip. I had a truck for a few years and it was so boring. I was so happy to get back into a turbo charge coupe again.

Hondalove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe
Well I owned a 2014 civic Si and I now own a 2016 ex-t. My opinion is that I'm happier with the ex-t. And in canada the ex-t does not come with lane assist. Also the tires my car came with are Continental pro contact, they seem to be pretty good so far.
Sponsored