RV6 Performance Drop-In Turbo upgrade news!

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hello all. I’m one of the lucky few that will be getting one of the beta turbos from rv6. I’ll be posting on this thread my experiences with the turbo.
I had purchased the mhi td03 and it took a horrible failure on my car. Once I got my money back I got in line to try to get one of these turbos.
[/QUOTE]

What failed on the MHI turbo?
Sponsored

awsomsauce

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Gen si and 2 6 gen sedans
Country flag
Hello all. I’m one of the lucky few that will be getting one of the beta turbos from rv6. I’ll be posting on this thread my experiences with the turbo.
I had purchased the mhi td03 and it took a horrible failure on my car. Once I got my money back I got in line to try to get one of these turbos.
[/QUOTE]
Mhi didn’t have an oil recommendation for the turbo. I figured since it was supposed to be the original turbo on the car from Honda that the oil used at the dealership for oil changes would be fine. After putting 680 miles on it I was due for an oil change. I took the car to the dealers and the next day, the turbo blew the seal on the compressor side.
Mhi ended up dropping that post about using 10w40 after mine and a few other turbos blew up.
At that point I just asked for my money back.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Mhi didn’t have an oil recommendation for the turbo. I figured since it was supposed to be the original turbo on the car from Honda that the oil used at the dealership for oil changes would be fine. After putting 680 miles on it I was due for an oil change. I took the car to the dealers and the next day, the turbo blew the seal on the compressor side.
Mhi ended up dropping that post about using 10w40 after mine and a few other turbos blew up.
[/QUOTE]
Hmm good to know. What oil are you going to use with the RV6?

awsomsauce

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m going to see if amsoil carries a 5w30 synthetic.

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@awsomsauce @Zcfc3dc5

Should we start an official RV6 turbo beta testing thread? Any beta testers can post progress/ successes / issues?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

What other turbos blew up? The only other td03 I can read about having problems are in the n54 BMW havng wastegate problems

Wasn't your oil overfilled at the dealer?

I have over 6k miles on mine, so I'm curious to learn what to look out for

awsomsauce

First Name
Theodore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What other turbos blew up? The only other td03 I can read about having problems are in the n54 BMW havng wastegate problems

Wasn't your oil overfilled at the dealer?

I have over 6k miles on mine, so I'm curious to learn what to look out for
I thought the oil level over what it should be but after taking the mhi turbo off and installing the stock one, the shop tech said he added a quart of oil to the engine. Then I took the car to the dealership that did the oil change and they said the engine was still a quart low. So no way I can prove it. There’s performance shop that contacted me after mine took an L and told me they had two blow out back to back. One on the first pull on a dyno and the second did the same. They asked that I not mention their name in order to keep their relationship with MHI on a positive.
The performance shop I purchased mine through already had a previous customer that had their turbo fail too so they knew how long it would take and the process to get my refund.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I thought the oil level over what it should be but after taking the mhi turbo off and installing the stock one, the shop tech said he added a quart of oil to the engine. Then I took the car to the dealership that did the oil change and they said the engine was still a quart low. So no way I can prove it. There’s performance shop that contacted me after mine took an L and told me they had two blow out back to back. One on the first pull on a dyno and the second did the same. They asked that I not mention their name in order to keep their relationship with MHI on a positive.
The performance shop I purchased mine through already had a previous customer that had their turbo fail too so they knew how long it would take and the process to get my refund.
Thanks for clarifying.

Good luck with the beta testing! Stoked to see the results

Milucris

First Name
Cristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I heard you can use hondata tune for W1 for this RV6?