First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The good thing is that you should have PLENTY of time to make that decision considering how long Nissan keeps running the same model for about 10yrs ;) (and this is coming from a current Z owner - love it still)
Yeah. I still have my last 300zx. Had it maybe 7 years now. I can retire and go into another career as early as the summer of ā€˜24 if I donā€™t re-up. Weā€™d kind of tossed around it being something of a combo midlife crisis/retirement/random sort of purchase.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Itā€™s funny - bc when the 370z first came out - it was beating Mustangs and Camaros - unfortunately as the Mustand/Camaro changed things up with their higher HP engines - the Z didnā€™t. I wonā€™t lie - still love my Z and wonā€˜t trade it in for a Mustang (unless we are talking GT350) nor a Camaro. The CTR - well if you could find one at MSRP then maybe. But overall, Iā€™m happy with the Z - provides good power, a true 2 seater and a hydraulic steering wheel vs electronic. No ā€˜modesā€™ to switch to etc and since itā€™s NA - provides good linear power - but....itā€™s all the turbo scene. But overall, a great ā€˜balancedā€™ car. I love the Z and I hope the new one provides a lot of fun at an affordable cost. :)
Problem I always saw was the 350z was relevant at its ~$25k base price in ā€˜03 without a major power deficit compared to the V8 Mustang. There want no gen 5 Camaro yet (4 had gone out of production a year prior). The C5 Corvette was still around though long in the tooth and quite a bit more expensive. They updated the 350zā€™s motor a couple times in its run... and during the SAE change so itā€™s actual power got a nice bump even though on paper when they went to the HR motor it didnā€™t seem that big of a change.

The 370z was too light of a change... it almost seemed to me like a refresh of the 350z with a bored HR motor. It, to me, was already lagging behind in ā€˜09 when it hit... and the car world hasnā€™t stopped moving since it arrived. The fact they gave up trying to do anything else with the VQ engine was a damn shame. It had been a wards best for a long time. It actually popped back up around ā€˜16 or so for Maximaā€™s variant as essentially a swan song nod for a final revision. A sports car going 10+ years is a long time, granted... but I canā€™t think of another instance where there have been no real powertrain revisions in that time for anyone else. Really... I guess the international variant of the Z32 that went from ā€˜90 to ā€˜00 would count. I think they never changed the VG30DETT... drastically though they made fixes early on for their valves.

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan, 2014 Pathfinder
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah. I still have my last 300zx. Had it maybe 7 years now. I can retire and go into another career as early as the summer of ā€˜24 if I donā€™t re-up. Weā€™d kind of tossed around it being something of a combo midlife crisis/retirement/random sort of purchase.
I will finish my 20 next summer, (ARMY) not doing an extra day ?. Soon I will be looking for a new job I got rid of my (Z) a while ago. I would had spent so much shipping it and storage for it. So many things I have lost moving, back and forward.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I will finish my 20 next summer, (ARMY) not doing an extra day ?. Soon I will be looking for a new job I got rid of my (Z) a while ago. I would had spent so much shipping it and storage for it. So many things I have lost moving, back and forward.
Yeah... I have to ship one from GA to WA years back. Didnā€™t ship it from WA to NY. It was a bit of a pain and figured the salt belt would kill it. They just threw dirt on the roads in WA... not that it helped that much.

Reactions: AVR

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... I have to ship one from GA to WA years back. Didnā€™t ship it from WA to NY. It was a bit of a pain and figured the salt belt would kill it. They just threw dirt on the roads in WA... not that it helped that much.
The last civic I had was an 01 coupe I sold it before I moved to Hawaii since they will just ship one car and I wasn't going to pay 1500 to ship it each way. I got back to the states right before covid and got my SI. Now I could start looking for a project since I ain't planning to move anymore. I am done. Too much hassle.

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
Problem I always saw was the 350z was relevant at its ~$25k base price in ā€˜03 without a major power deficit compared to the V8 Mustang. There want no gen 5 Camaro yet (4 had gone out of production a year prior). The C5 Corvette was still around though long in the tooth and quite a bit more expensive. They updated the 350zā€™s motor a couple times in its run... and during the SAE change so itā€™s actual power got a nice bump even though on paper when they went to the HR motor it didnā€™t seem that big of a change.

The 370z was too light of a change... it almost seemed to me like a refresh of the 350z with a bored HR motor. It, to me, was already lagging behind in ā€˜09 when it hit... and the car world hasnā€™t stopped moving since it arrived. The fact they gave up trying to do anything else with the VQ engine was a damn shame. It had been a wards best for a long time. It actually popped back up around ā€˜16 or so for Maximaā€™s variant as essentially a swan song nod for a final revision. A sports car going 10+ years is a long time, granted... but I canā€™t think of another instance where there have been no real powertrain revisions in that time for anyone else. Really... I guess the international variant of the Z32 that went from ā€˜90 to ā€˜00 would count. I think they never changed the VG30DETT... drastically though they made fixes early on for their valves.
I definitely agree with you about the amount of time between updates-it kinda shocks me still that they are making a new one, and you can see A LOT of the existing platform in the prototype. I think if Nissan would have just updated the motor and the infotainment-they could get away with such a long time of doing updates. I really thought they would have added the Q60 engine into it as a minor refresh - not for the FULL refresh. Time will tell if the prototype is worth the cost (whatever that winds up being). For myself - the only other cars that I want is either the CTR or the Supra. The Supra scares me bc of the bmw reliability and the lack of a manual bothers me some although everything else is looks awesome-except for maybe thr price haha
The CTR I feel is too close in performance to what I already have (donā€™t track cars) and the fact that you canā€™t find one at MSRP - just very off putting and frustrating. But if I needed a 4 door - it would be at the top of the list.
mad for another car that waited forever to do a refresh-correct me if Iā€™m wrong but hasnā€™t the A5 taken forever to finally do an update? Another car that was on my short list 4-5yrs ago.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I definitely agree with you about the amount of time between updates-it kinda shocks me still that they are making a new one, and you can see A LOT of the existing platform in the prototype. I think if Nissan would have just updated the motor and the infotainment-they could get away with such a long time of doing updates. I really thought they would have added the Q60 engine into it as a minor refresh - not for the FULL refresh. Time will tell if the prototype is worth the cost (whatever that winds up being). For myself - the only other cars that I want is either the CTR or the Supra. The Supra scares me bc of the bmw reliability and the lack of a manual bothers me some although everything else is looks awesome-except for maybe thr price haha
The CTR I feel is too close in performance to what I already have (donā€™t track cars) and the fact that you canā€™t find one at MSRP - just very off putting and frustrating. But if I needed a 4 door - it would be at the top of the list.
mad for another car that waited forever to do a refresh-correct me if Iā€™m wrong but hasnā€™t the A5 taken forever to finally do an update? Another car that was on my short list 4-5yrs ago.
True. The VR30DDTT absolutely fits in a 370z and theyā€™ve been running mules with that motor installed for awhile. I mean... for the new car... itā€™s their same FR platform... so itā€™s not like itā€™s a from-scratch car. Had they installed the VR30DDTT years ago with a minor refresh, the 370z turned 300z or whatever they want to call it would have been made very relevant years ago and would have been in the top half of the heap instead pretty much at the bottom. Aside from the infotainment and instrument cluster, even the interiors look very similar. They just didnā€™t give the 370z the chance it deserved to be a highly competitive car. It was getting panned years ago. Nissan seems like theyā€™ve been in their same late-90s slump for awhile now.

I never had a great draw towards the Supra. The fact the last one had larger injectors/turbos stock than the 300zx made it cheaper to snag easy power from an otherwise stock car. The lack of a manual is a bummer too. I know autos are faster than manuals at this point. Have been really for awhile. Iā€™d still rather drive slower in a manual and enjoy the drive more subjectively than objectively have a faster car. I donā€™t race anyone else and couldnā€™t care less about winning/losing... I just enjoy the drive.

AVR

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True. The VR30DDTT absolutely fits in a 370z and theyā€™ve been running mules with that motor installed for awhile. I mean... for the new car... itā€™s their same FR platform... so itā€™s not like itā€™s a from-scratch car. Had they installed the VR30DDTT years ago with a minor refresh, the 370z turned 300z or whatever they want to call it would have been made very relevant years ago and would have been in the top half of the heap instead pretty much at the bottom. Aside from the infotainment and instrument cluster, even the interiors look very similar. They just didnā€™t give the 370z the chance it deserved to be a highly competitive car. It was getting panned years ago. Nissan seems like theyā€™ve been in their same late-90s slump for awhile now.

I never had a great draw towards the Supra. The fact the last one had larger injectors/turbos stock than the 300zx made it cheaper to snag easy power from an otherwise stock car. The lack of a manual is a bummer too. I know autos are faster than manuals at this point. Have been really for awhile. Iā€™d still rather drive slower in a manual and enjoy the drive more subjectively than objectively have a faster car. I donā€™t race anyone else and couldnā€™t care less about winning/losing... I just enjoy the drive.
Love the VG30DETT but I hate working on them.

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
I love it when people ride in or have a go with my Accord 2.0T, they can't believe it.
Seen those shocked faces more times than I can count! Old Man's Type R!

Honda got it so right with this drivetrain!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Love the VG30DETT but I hate working on them.
Agreed. Iā€™ve done a little work beyond just oil changes on piles of different engines. Anytime my old Z has had an issue (and most have been simple things... coil packs, wiring connectors, injectors [Ive got a shaved cheater plenum so itā€™s no big deal], crank angle sensor, etc.) nothing else has ever made my heart drop the same way thinking about working on it.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I love it when people ride in or have a go with my Accord 2.0T, they can't believe it.
Seen those shocked faces more times than I can count! Old Man's Type R!

Honda got it so right with this drivetrain!
It looks like the Accord 2.0T has a decent amount of low end torque which is more practical in everyday driving than having a lot of horsepower that only helps your 1/4 mile trap speed. I want both, but having good low end torque is something you can or might use every day.

Myx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX (Hatchback/CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

The TRD Camry keeps up pretty well with the Type R. The 1.5T is going to need more than a tune to try to compete with it.
Too funny! Type R FTW! May as well have the Type R go up against the new Toyota RAV4 Prime, since the Prime handed the Toyota Camry TRD its arse. I only have the old school Toyota RAV4 V6 but will happily race Type R. :p

Sponsored