How do you guys do a 'CLEAN' oil change?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Used fumoto on my previous 2 cars and the CTR without issues. Would totally recommend it.

If you want to try slowing the flow, dont crack open or remove the fill cap.
Sponsored

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes Fumotos are great.

The tygon plastic tube slows the flow down vs what comes out of a drain bolt when pulled...

So have considered getting a magnetic drain bolt to swap in place of the Fumoto drain valve, maybe once a year for an annual check... but haven’t acted on that yet.

Used fumoto on my previous 2 cars and the CTR without issues. Would totally recommend it.

fk8dc5s

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2003 DC5S 1994 CD5
Country flag
have done 2 oil changes since new last year and this car is not messy by any means I believe. never splattered oil everywhere. pretty much the same as any other Honda like my DC5 and old 94 Accord regarding the draining. the oil filter on this car is in a good and easy non messy position unlike the K20A2 engine and F22B on my other cars I mentioned. K20A/K20Z series engines take the cake for messy. you doing the oil change, at least you can take the time to do a thorough clean of any areas that get oil. anybody else shop/dealer will probably leave it be all messy.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag

Which Fumoto valve do you use? Their website doesn't list the Type R / 2.0 liter engine.

OP
OP
NapalmEnema

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
have done 2 oil changes since new last year and this car is not messy by any means I believe. never splattered oil everywhere. pretty much the same as any other Honda like my DC5 and old 94 Accord regarding the draining. the oil filter on this car is in a good and easy non messy position unlike the K20A2 engine and F22B on my other cars I mentioned. K20A/K20Z series engines take the cake for messy. you doing the oil change, at least you can take the time to do a thorough clean of any areas that get oil. anybody else shop/dealer will probably leave it be all messy.
It's in my garage bud I clean it up well just looking for tips to improve. This is the first car I've done oil changes on so it's new ground for me. (oil changes)

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know some run a fumito valve but I've read some things about those that makes me paranoid to run one - so those that do it as it sits - in their garage - how do you not get oil jetting everywhere under the car when you release the drain bolt?

I was armed with a funnel this time as well and it still got me it's like high pressure?

I took the filter out first - caught the drippings - was off to a banging start.

Then the oil drainbolt - ARGGH

Now I have a big mess to clean after I finish. Any tips?
don’t over think it.

you did good on the filter

for the drain plug, I try to get it to as close as possible before it’s out and then I just slow down and hope for the best. With the drain pan under I don’t make a big mess. Sometimes I drop the bolt but that beats a real mess. Just take your time.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I get minimal splash mess with oil changes, and not a drop on the floor.

I use a plastic oil catch tray/container to collect the oil and two large zinc sheet metal flat trays. If I get a drop or two of oil, they get on the zinc, not on the floor.

I never in my life removed the filter first. I only remove the filter after the oil flow decreased to a drip.

To slow the flow, you can first remove just the dipstick, then open the drain, then finally remove the oil cap after the stream slows down.

The drain plug should be removed as described in post #11: first unscrew while holding, then pull with a quick move to avoid the stream hitting the plug or your hand.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_...TKbgJq0Cugk_7nu_7gBAMJWpjYC1ukssaAoDpEALw_wcB

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-...-007-1751841c8a7cde&athancid=null&athena=true

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Which Fumoto valve do you use? Their website doesn't list the Type R / 2.0 liter engine.
F106S from Amazon. There is one with the locking clip included

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It's in my garage bud I clean it up well just looking for tips to improve. This is the first car I've done oil changes on so it's new ground for me. (oil changes)
You likely just need more practice, is all.

Ive been doing oil changes for 18 years or so, now. 14+ years on Hondas. I’ve never had issues with just removing the drain bolt and letting the oil empty into an oil pan on the floor. It doesn’t really splash. If it does, get a higher walled container to catch the oil.

the worst was any car with a J series V6. Honda seemingly likes to put the oil filter above the passenger side lower control arm. Those were always a bit messy. Ugh, hahaha.

but I’ve done oil changes on D, B and K series 4 cylinder engines and they’ve always been neat and tidy.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
After a couple changes, you realize where the oil will approximately land if you were to remove the drain bolt. Place the collection pan there.

As less oil remains, its trajectory decreases and comes closer to being vertically in line with the drain hole. I just push the collection pan closer towards the hole.

by then, I leave for 20 minutes and let the oil continue to trickle out.

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
Yeah but man the dealership techs and my car? All kinds of things can go wrong. It's not hard to do, just a bit messy so was looking for options.
Yeah, I made the mistake of taking my CR-V to the dealer for an oil change, and made a further mistake of not looking under afterwards. They took off and kept the aero pan underneath. Now of, course after doing my own change, they claim I can't prove they left it off or took it. Wonder how much they sold it for. Stay away from Bell Honda in Phoenix

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag
Yeah, I made the mistake of taking my CR-V to the dealer for an oil change, and made a further mistake of not looking under afterwards. They took off and kept the aero pan underneath. Now of, course after doing my own change, they claim I can't prove they left it off or took it. Wonder how much they sold it for. Stay away from Bell Honda in Phoenix
This really sucks to hear. I bought my Civic there and was thinking of having them do some fluid changes. I still haven't established a consistent and reputable network here in Phoenix. The type that you can drop the car off at, and not have to question the work that was done. In Los Angeles I had a go-to for anything that I needed for things I didn't want to do myself.

I'm thinking of going to SOS for my car stuff since they are very well known in NSX and S2000 world.

PS: If anyone has a list of race shops and off road shops in Phoenix send them my way. If you're from SoCal you know all about West End and Chewerks for suspension setup/alignment. I'm looking for that in Arizona.

MorrisGray

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazda3 5sp manual, 2012 Genesis sedan
Country flag
MityVac fluid evacuator.

If you get it in to the oil pan just right, it’ll drain it almost completely. You can put it up on stands after and pull the drain plug if you like, only about a shot glass worth more comes out over a few minutes of dripping.

F0C1CAF5-B45A-42A4-8464-2B8A61D5C837.jpeg
How much does that cost?

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
A big open oil catch pan lined with a big sheet of cardboard underneath. You'll be fine.