Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Thank you! Those are the honeycomb patterned grills, right? Do they actually have venting through them, or are they solid?

The overall shape of those grills would be pretty easy to make, but the embossed honeycomb pattern could be tricky to recreate in carbon fiber. The finer the detail, the more difficult it is to transfer nicely to the surface of the carbon fiber part. We do make parts out of honeycomb weave carbon however, which looks awesome. And of course you could change the design of the grill entirely if you wanted to.
Yes, the "Honeycomb" Grills. They have a cutout for the horn on the left side (as you are facing it) and semi-circle surrounds for the fog lamps on both sides in front ~ nothing in the rear. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in keeping the honeycomb pattern, just replacing them with a carbon fiber insert. I would love to see an example of the Honeycomb Weave carbon, though.

I was thinking of trying to use a 3M or Avery Dennison Carbon Fiber Printed Vinyl Wrap, although that might show the honeycomb relief from beneath the wrap.

They are the weak link in the styling of these otherwise wonderful cars.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
1970 & 1971 Honda CT90, 1991 Mazda Miata, 1999 BMW M Coupe, 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Country flag
Yeah it was my first time working with carbon fiber and i mainly used tutorials from easycomposites.uk .Did my first parts wet lay carbon fiber and then used a vacuum storage bag to vacuum bag it.It worked pretty well,except for a few bridges in the corners.
I'm now looking into working with infusion ,but need to adapt the mold for larger flanges.

1.jpg

95360273_662011511029179_2903894046718033920_n.jpg

0010.jpg
I'm impressed! Easy Composites is a great resource for DIY learning. It's hard to tell exactly what your mold looks like, but oftentimes if we need wider flanges for an infusion, we'll just set the mold on our aluminum table or a piece of 3/4" thick melamine, bag over the entire mold and tacky tape the bag to the table/melamine. You can also try "envelope" bagging your mold, where you wrap around the entire mold with plastic bag, making an envelope (thus the name). You can actually buy vacuum bag that comes as a tube for doing this, but you can also just fold a bag over and seal the seam with tacky tape. Just be careful not to poke any holes in the bag when you pull it around the mold...

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
1970 & 1971 Honda CT90, 1991 Mazda Miata, 1999 BMW M Coupe, 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Country flag
They are solid, no actual venting. I was thinking, a carbon fiber little tree imitation (air freshener) would be wicked nice. Just as a permanent accessory to decorate the interior.

https://www.littletrees.com/
Haha, that would be awesome. We do a ton of CNC cut flat panel stuff, like snowflake shaped christmas tree ornaments, that are the same concept. We're starting a "Garage Line" for carbon fiber automotive/garage accessories, I'll add this idea to the list. Now if we can figure out how to give them that fresh carbon fiber smell...

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, the "Honeycomb" Grills. They have a cutout for the horn on the left side and semi-circle surrounds for the fog lamps on both sides in front ~ nothing in the rear. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in keeping the honeycomb pattern, just replacing them with a carbon fiber insert. I would love to see an example of the Honeycomb Weave carbon, though.

I was thinking of trying to use a 3M or Avery Dennison Carbon Fiber Printed Vinyl Wrap, although that might show the honeycomb relief from beneath the wrap.

They are the weak link in the styling of these otherwise wonderful cars.
I know exactly what parts you're referring to, I don't think they'd be difficult to recreate. Here's a picture of an end plate for a pretty badass spoiler we're making right now for a GT350 with honeycomb weave:

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! IMG_6244

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm impressed! Easy Composites is a great resource for DIY learning. It's hard to tell exactly what your mold looks like, but oftentimes if we need wider flanges for an infusion, we'll just set the mold on our aluminum table or a piece of 3/4" thick melamine, bag over the entire mold and tacky tape the bag to the table/melamine. You can also try "envelope" bagging your mold, where you wrap around the entire mold with plastic bag, making an envelope (thus the name). You can actually buy vacuum bag that comes as a tube for doing this, but you can also just fold a bag over and seal the seam with tacky tape. Just be careful not to poke any holes in the bag when you pull it around the mold...
Thanks! Here's 1 of the molds .The flanges are curved (shaped like the plastic shroud) .
I also ran into a clearance problem ,after testing the hood seems to get pressed down a lot (on high speeds) to touch the carbon.
So i need to add some material into the mold without alterering the shape te reduce the height .
I was thinking of spraying several coats of gel coat on top...?

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! 98185903_683149512476485_7434827593284583424_n

MR. TwoSix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe, 2018 Ram 1500
Country flag
Thanks! Here's 1 of the molds .The flanges are curved (shaped like the plastic shroud) .
I also ran into a clearance problem ,after testing the hood seems to get pressed down a lot (on high speeds) to touch the carbon.
So i need to add some material into the mold without alterering the shape te reduce the height .

98185903_683149512476485_7434827593284583424_n.jpg
Why is this not for sale? Produce these and people will buy them.

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I know exactly what parts you're referring to, I don't think they'd be difficult to recreate. Here's a picture of an end plate for a pretty badass spoiler we're making right now for a GT350 with honeycomb weave:

IMG_6244.jpg
Thanks for the pic!

cocoroos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
+1 for some kind of front/rear fake grill replacement. Everything on the market right now is either distasteful (see top1motors) or low quality (eBay replacements). I think there's a lot of potential for making something look a lot better than what's out there.

Ji671

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wonder how much it would be for engine covers, sides and front ;). I'm semi local in the area, all the way in Port Orchard though :D

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

98185903_683149512476485_7434827593284583424_n.jpg
Hey Nick, your mold looks great! It depends on how much thickness you need to build, if it's more that 0.02-0.03" I think you'd end up spraying a lot of gelcoat and I'm not sure you'd get good surface quality. If we were doing this, we'd most likely try lining the mold with moldable sheet wax. You can buy it in 1/32" increments on McMaster here: https://www.mcmaster.com/sheets/easy-to-form-lining-wax/

Heat it up with a hair dryer or a heat gun and it will conform to the mold. You should be able to pull at least one part off of it, and then if you want to make a durable mold again, you can pull a gelcoat/fiberglass mold back off of the part you just made.

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Selfishly, I would like to see a carbon replacement wing, for the Civic SI Coupe. Something that only replaces the actual wing part.
Were you thinking a direct replacement for the Si wing, or a new design?

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wonder how much it would be for engine covers, sides and front ;). I'm semi local in the area, all the way in Port Orchard though :D
Hello over there in Port Orchard! I'm on the peninsula myself fairly frequently.

We actually had someone here in Seattle come by with their CTR, and they were asking about side covers in the engine bay that kind of cover the top of the fenders. Is that what you're referring to? He was saying they're only available on the euro-spec CTR I think. If we can get our hands on a set, we can definitely recreate them!

Status
Not open for further replies.