2017 Si w/ 28k miles. Emissions problem, Power Steering problem, Traction Control problem, Hill Assist problem, etc.

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone,
For the past three years I have owned a 2017 Si coupe that was purchased used with 1200 miles. This car has been daily driven approximately 60 miles back and forth to work 4 days a week, gone on multiple road trips, and has been an absolute pleasure to own. The only modification that has been done to this vehicle is an acuity stage 1 shift kit plus the cable bushings. Service has always been done on time by the same certified dealer. In the recent past, it fell victim to the A/C failure that many have experienced, and it was fixed at no cost.

Living in the north east, it has been driven through inclement weather and does not have a spot in the garage at home. Moving forward, no, this car has not been babied its entire time on the road, nor has it had the crap beaten out of it. Quite religiously I have done a 2nd to 3rd gear pull on the on-ramp both to and from work, and cruise on the highway at about 75-85mph. On back roads I have enjoyed some aggressive driving in sport mode, but never pushed it past the point where I or the car felt unsteady besides a little tire chirping. Throughout these fun times I've had with the car, I've accidentally bounced it off the rev limiter a couple times initiating the first stage of a fuel cutoff, missed enough shifts to count on two hands, but never thought I had done anything that could be catastrophically damaging.

Last Thursday after a day of rain, a portion of the highway that I travel on was recently paved and a stream of water was consistently forming across the road, which had my traction control lighting up like crazy! On that same drive home, I floored it in 2nd gear after a stoplight and it spun out the tires to redline. Last Friday night, on my way home from work, after trying as hard as I could to dodge it, I accidentally hit a possum with both left tires resulting in a decent thud both times doing about 35 mph. No problems in the moment, felt bad about it and moved on.

Come Saturday morning when starting up the vehicle, I was greeted with a list of problems such as: Emissions System Problem, Traction Control Problem, Stability Control Problem, Hill Assist Problem, Brake Hold Problem, Power Steering problem, and while it was still idling in the driveway I tried to put it into sport mode and the car would not let me. I have a Verizon Hum tracker on my vehicle that keeps track of my driving and provides diagnostic codes when a problem occurs. The only actual code that I received was p0304 for a cylinder 4 misfire. I did some research and saw that the warranty from Honda was extended to 6 years / unlimited miles, so I arranged to have it towed to the same dealer that has always worked on it to be fixed. Earlier today I got a call from the dealer asking if I had made any attempts to tune my vehicle, in which I responded no and asked about the p0304 code, which he had not even addressed. He said that it was throwing a p0219 code, but could not provide any further information. After doing some research myself, my heart sunk as the code states there was an over rev of the engine which could leave me responsible for any damages if it is true. Further investigating, from what I understand there are certain circumstances in which a p0219 code can be falsely triggered. I'm sure my Verizon hum does not provide nearly as much information as a certified Honda scanner would, but I am shocked that this problem is only coming to light now after years of ownership and consistent service. I understand how this looks, and I am ready to face criticism if necessary. On the Thursday night during the storm, my hum read my average speed for the trip as 1203mph with a top speed of 82mph, and on Friday night said my average speed was 153mph with a top speed of 83mph which is unusual as it normally provides quite accurate information, which leads me to believe something involving the cars computers are going haywire. Do you guys think there is any chance that some sort of electrical component has severely failed which is providing a long list of false readings? The car will be sitting at the dealership until further notice, hopefully some good news can be brought to light.

I want to say thanks to anyone who took the time to read this, and would appreciate any input both constructive or criticizing.
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My money is on the collision with the marmot. I can't explain the other, seemingly unrelated error codes other than it's all part of The Matrix. I'd test and check the RADAR unit (that's located on the left side). Good luck. And keep us posted.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
All of the ridiculous hooning aside here lol, i think you probably smashed the output shaft speed sensor on the trans hitting the possum. It's located on the radiator side of the trans, towards the bottom. If you smashed up your splash shield good you could have damaged this sensor internally, hense the Mach 2 cruising speeds.

P0219 is not a good code number. Check the number again, code doesn't exist in Honda book.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All of the ridiculous hooning aside here lol, i think you probably smashed the output shaft speed sensor on the trans hitting the possum. It's located on the radiator side of the trans, towards the bottom. If you smashed up your splash shield good you could have damaged this sensor internally, hense the Mach 2 cruising speeds.

P0219 is not a good code number. Check the number again, code doesn't exist in Honda book.
I’m going to call the dealership tomorrow and relay your potential diagnosis. I have not seen the p0219 code in person or heard any further information regarding how bad of an over rev occurred (if it ever even happened). I will have to further investigate, because that is the code my dealers master tech informed me of over the phone and it has made me lose sleep ever since. On Monday I was told I would get a call Tuesday, and as of 1am on Thursday I have not heard anything back from them. My daily commute has been much more docile in a 2001 suburban... looking forward to a little more hooning in the future. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks so much for all the input you guys

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:
I have heard back from the dealer, the car has experienced an over rev based on what the ecu recorded. They aren’t certain when it happened or how bad the damage is inside the motor, but it revved out pretty good.. ~7500rpm. I have owned this car for over two years at this point and drive about 250 miles a week. With a mostly highway commute, a cruising speed of 50-80mph is quite common depending on the road and conditions. Near the end of March on a drive home one night, I had a deer enter my lane on the highway while I was doing about 85 in 6th gear. I immediately slammed the brakes and proceeded to shift from 6th-3rd-2nd. I am assuming this is when the over rev happened.

It could have been worse, and I honestly didn’t notice anything wrong with the car at all. It must be a tough motor to withstand trauma like that and get me to work with a smile on my face for months without asking for help! The dealership is going to do a partial disassembly to look for any prominent damage like a bent valve, or see if the timing is slightly off, and if they can’t find anything, they will check the sensors before reporting back to me. Maybe hitting the possum was the last straw and something came loose which brought this all to attention.

Regardless, I’m glad a plan is being put together for its repair. I feel like a moron, but it is what it is sometimes. I’m proud to own it and plan to keep it for years to come. If it does need engine work, I would potentially be interested in shop recommendations in the New England area. Thanks everyone.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Hmm...

I'm glad you have a plan. I'm still not sure what the (over 90 days old) over-rev has to do with all this, though.

After re-reading the original post; I'm still suspicious of the marmot impact but also the rain event. I'm wondering if something got wet, began to corrode, and then was pushed beyond the threshold by the impact. Then... after cooldown and drying out, beginning to malfunction the next day. I also see the logic of the Speed Sensor being damaged and (therefore) causing all those system errors based off of bad data.

I'm not officially disagreeing with Honda here. But do be careful authorizing tons of diagnostic/repair work based on a *possible* engine error.

*not a mechanic. just an ocd hypochondriac that likes to troubleshoot.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm...

I'm glad you have a plan. I'm still not sure what the (over 90 days old) over-rev has to do with all this, though.

After re-reading the original post; I'm still suspicious of the marmot impact but also the rain event. I'm wondering if something got wet, began to corrode, and then was pushed beyond the threshold by the impact. Then... after cooldown and drying out, beginning to malfunction the next day. I also see the logic of the Speed Sensor being damaged and (therefore) causing all those system errors based off of bad data.

I'm not officially disagreeing with Honda here. But do be careful authorizing tons of diagnostic/repair work based on a *possible* engine error.

*not a mechanic. just an ocd hypochondriac that likes to troubleshoot.
I agree, and definitely not trying to break the bank anymore than I already have given my drivetrain warranty void (R.I.P.). It was coming to and end soon anyway, but I’m trying to stay in control of the situation as much as I can. The mechanic who has serviced my vehicle for the majority of the time on the road has been quite understanding from the chats we have had, and hopefully won’t leave my pockets empty without my authorization lol.

I will keep posting updates as they arrive.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
My money is on the collision with the marmot. I can't explain the other, seemingly unrelated error codes other than it's all part of The Matrix. I'd test and check the RADAR unit (that's located on the left side). Good luck. And keep us posted.
No radar for 2017-19 SI

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:
6700 dollars later the car was equipped with a brand new motor from Honda (I’m still in possession of the old one too). Since I’ve had it back I’ve put about 1300 miles on the odometer and have been breaking it in nice and smooth. Starting it up tonight (in the coldest weather the new engine has experienced: ~40 degrees f) the same string of errors occurred. Emissions system, brake system, power steering system, traction, etc. I am at a loss of words here.... This happened in my work parking lot, and thankfully my buddy had an OBD II scanner so we plugged it in and once again p0304, cylinder 4 misfire.

The first time this happened, I understood that based on the data they had with the p0219 code I was responsible for the damage to the vehicle. Of course I had to swallow my pride, but took what I thought would be the best route to remedy the situation. This time around, I don’t think I could stand to be held accountable.

I am assuming they reused the same sparks coils and whatever else they could when swapping the motor, and am hoping that something can be easily replaced to fix the problem this time. I am quite upset with the situation at hand, and feel as if I’ve bought a lemon with a delayed fuse. As of right now the car is safely camping in a parking lot and will be towed once again to have the dealer look at it. I am not going to take the chance of driving the car and doing any damage that they could pin on me.

Alongside this issue, although the warm days are just about over in the north east, it is obvious that the AC system is once again failing. If the car cannot be fixed in a timely manner this time around and without a hefty bill, I think it might be the end of the story with me and my civic.

I’m hoping to end this thread with one final happy update in the near future. Fingers, toes, arms, and legs crossed.

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Update:
6700 dollars later the car was equipped with a brand new motor from Honda (I’m still in possession of the old one too). Since I’ve had it back I’ve put about 1300 miles on the odometer and have been breaking it in nice and smooth. Starting it up tonight (in the coldest weather the new engine has experienced: ~40 degrees f) the same string of errors occurred. Emissions system, brake system, power steering system, traction, etc. I am at a loss of words here.... This happened in my work parking lot, and thankfully my buddy had an OBD II scanner so we plugged it in and once again p0304, cylinder 4 misfire.

The first time this happened, I understood that based on the data they had with the p0219 code I was responsible for the damage to the vehicle. Of course I had to swallow my pride, but took what I thought would be the best route to remedy the situation. This time around, I don’t think I could stand to be held accountable.

I am assuming they reused the same sparks coils and whatever else they could when swapping the motor, and am hoping that something can be easily replaced to fix the problem this time. I am quite upset with the situation at hand, and feel as if I’ve bought a lemon with a delayed fuse. As of right now the car is safely camping in a parking lot and will be towed once again to have the dealer look at it. I am not going to take the chance of driving the car and doing any damage that they could pin on me.

Alongside this issue, although the warm days are just about over in the north east, it is obvious that the AC system is once again failing. If the car cannot be fixed in a timely manner this time around and without a hefty bill, I think it might be the end of the story with me and my civic.

I’m hoping to end this thread with one final happy update in the near future. Fingers, toes, arms, and legs crossed.
Wow, I can’t believe you paid that much and Honda still failed to give you a properly working car. I feel like they should reimburse you and give you a brand new vehicle at this point. It’s almost as if they put it together, made sure it turned on, and never even tested it on a drive to make sure everything was good.

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, I can’t believe you paid that much and Honda still failed to give you a properly working car. I feel like they should reimburse you and give you a brand new vehicle at this point. It’s almost as if they put it together, made sure it turned on, and never even tested it on a drive to make sure everything was good.
I paid what I had to in order to get my beloved civic back on the road under the impression that I had damaged the vehicle myself with an over rev. Stated in one of my update posts, I described the only scenario I can think of where an over rev could have occurred, months before the initial issue arose.

I am wondering if they deemed the over rev the cause of all damage without further investigating the p0304 code and all else that’s popping up alongside it. The dealer will be receiving quite an upset phone call from me tomorrow morning. I agree with you and feel entitled to some sort of compensation given what I have done to fix my car based on their claims.

I made the switch to this car from a 2006 Audi that had the power steering pulley fly off the pump while taking an off ramp at 50+ mph, and a high pressure fuel pump failure after installing a catback exhaust. Ownership was becoming stressful at 160k miles, so I made the switch to Honda expecting a fun, safe, efficient, and reliable vehicle. For the first two years the car was exactly that. Who would have thought with ~30k miles a civic could be even more stressful to own :(

Last edited:

ValkenDnB

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I paid what I had to in order to get my beloved civic back on the road under the impression that I had damaged the vehicle myself with an over rev. Stated in one of my update posts, I described the only scenario I can think of where an over rev could have occurred, months before the initial issue arose.

I am wondering if they deemed the over rev the cause of all damage without further investigating the p0304 code and all else that’s popping up alongside it. The dealer will be receiving quite an upset phone call from me tomorrow morning. I agree with you and feel entitled to some sort of compensation given what I have done to fix my car based on their claims.

I made the switch to this car from a 2006 Audi that had the power steering pulley fly off the pump while taking an off ramp at 50+ mph, and a high pressure fuel pump failure after installing a catback exhaust. Ownership was becoming stressful at 160k miles, so I made the switch to Honda expecting a fun, safe, efficient, and reliable vehicle. For the first two years the car was exactly that. Who would have thought with ~30k miles a civic could be even more stressful to own :(
I feel as if it might be the sensor the person above described. I know I’ve hit the rev limiter on accident a couple times the night I first got the car since it had been a while since I drove a manual transmission car and nothing has happened(knock on wood). I even hit a 2x4 plank someone dropped on a dark and rainy highway drive to work. Mind you I was going at least 65mph so you can imagine how nasty that probably felt and sounded. Hopefully, they realize their mistake and slide you a 2020 tomorrow for all the stress they’re making you go through.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
These cars are messed up. My '16 touring flashed every code like this one day and it just went away on its own and I never took it to the dealer. My co workers '17 touring did it, he took it to the dealer right away and they diagnosed it as bad fuel injectors. Replaced them and sent him on his way. All was good for a month with him, then it happened again. He went to dealer right away and this time they replaced sparks plugs and all was good. He was talking to an employee at the dealership who has the same car as him, and she said same thing happened to her. He had enough after that and his comprehensive warranty was about to expire so he traded that car in on a new ranger.

There is no way in hell you should've paid a dime for that repair if you're still under warranty. These random flashing of every error code is happening to a lot of people. I'd fight to get your $6700 back for that reason, especially considering you still have the issue! A single over rev to 7500rpm is just a BS excuse for them to weasel their way out of taking responsibility. This is a Honda problem!

Last edited:

Jonmd89

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Majority of people with multiple systems failing is from a dying battery, these cars came with really shitty batteries from the factory

OP
OP
N_W_F

N_W_F

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These cars are messed up. My '16 touring flashed every code like this one day and it just went away on its own and I never took it to the dealer. My co workers '17 touring did it, he took it to the dealer right away and they diagnosed it as bad fuel injectors. Replaced them and sent him on his way. All was good for a month with him, then it happened again. He went to dealer right away and this time they replaced sparks plugs and all was good. He was talking to an employee at the dealership who has the same car as him, and she said same thing happened to her. He had enough after that and his comprehensive warranty was about to expire so he traded that car in on a new ranger.

There is no way in hell you should've paid a dime for that repair if you're still under warranty. These random flashing of every error code is happening to a lot of people. I'd fight to get your $6700 back for that reason, especially considering you still have the issue! A single over rev to 7500rpm is just a BS excuse for them to weasel their way out of taking responsibility. This is a Honda problem!
If I could get my money back I would, but the new motor has been in for over 1000 miles now. The old one is sitting in the garage with an ever so slightly bent valve. The head is off, and the damage seems to be very minor. Who knows maybe it can become a new project at some point. Considering I replaced the motor to fix my problem, and still have the problem... I’m hoping to be treated right by Honda and given a serious discount on the upcoming repair/replacement and future service.
Sponsored