Sudden increase in height on one corner?

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys,

So 6 months ago, I installed the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on my 2018 Si coupe (below). The drop was even and nice, and since then I haven't had much issues (apart from a weird squeaking noise from the front left - different issue though).

Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? d465de8__01

However, today I noticed my rear left corner has a large wheel gap - enough I can fit my hand in without much touching of the fender and tire. The other three corners are still the same as they were, where I can put my fingers into the wheel well but I hit the tire/fender and can't go much further without bending my fingers. With this rear left corner, I can have my palm go in and makes for a very obvious difference in feel (and looks).

I have only two potential sources of this, but I would like to hear what anyone else might have to offer in ideas on how to fix this.

One is that, last night, I was parked on a hill looking downhill, and when I released my electric parking brake, I heard a pop noise in the rear left brake. I wasn't sure what it was, but no error showed up, and engaging/disengaging the parking brakes have no issue. Could this be a possible reason at all? I feel it's unlikely..?

The second, more likely cause, might be from when I had my car's oil changed/tires rotated today at the dealership. Could the act of lifting my car have shifted the spring, perhaps rotating it slightly, so it doesn't sit properly now? I had an oil change once before this, after lowering my car, with no issue. But could this be a pretty likely thing to cause this?

I've attached some photos to show the difference between all corners as reference.

Front Left:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193617

Front Right:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193636

Rear Right:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193649

Rear Left:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193731

Front Left:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193434

Front Right:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193449

Rear Right:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193503

Rear Left:
Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200920_193417

Thanks so much! I'm a little paranoid to drive but I need to for work, so I might try to look at it more tomorrow.

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
As an update, I drove home for a distance of about 30 miles, mainly highway, and from the looks of it (2am lol), I think the suspension adjusted itself back? It's fairly similar in "feel" via my hand as the other rear side now, and just by the looks of it, it seems lower again. I suppose there's the very slight chance that (if this 'solved' itself) the spots I parked at my parents place made the gap (however, I've parked and washed the car in that exact spot dozens of times without ever having this huge gap difference until today).

Or maybe the drive let the spring settle again. I'll like to check it nonetheless by jacking it up at that corner and trying to see if the spring rotated or wasn't seated properly or anything. If it's seated properly then I won't be too worried. If it wasn't seated properly but looks fine on the outside, then I'd be worried if the spring over compressed or anything ? (If that's a rational concern at all loll)

Honda Civic 10th gen Sudden increase in height on one corner? IMG_20200921_020127

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
The spring probably just wasn’t seated in the correct orientation. Maybe the spring needs to be rotated a bit so it doesn’t happen so easily again.

Just my guess. i’ve never messed with springs

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the road isn't flat or if you have something heavy in the trunk the car doesn't always sit with perfect square fender Gap, that's my guess.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Hey guys,

So 6 months ago, I installed the Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on my 2018 Si coupe (below). The drop was even and nice, and since then I haven't had much issues (apart from a weird squeaking noise from the front left - different issue though).

d465de8__01.jpg

However, today I noticed my rear left corner has a large wheel gap - enough I can fit my hand in without much touching of the fender and tire. The other three corners are still the same as they were, where I can put my fingers into the wheel well but I hit the tire/fender and can't go much further without bending my fingers. With this rear left corner, I can have my palm go in and makes for a very obvious difference in feel (and looks).

I have only two potential sources of this, but I would like to hear what anyone else might have to offer in ideas on how to fix this.

One is that, last night, I was parked on a hill looking downhill, and when I released my electric parking brake, I heard a pop noise in the rear left brake. I wasn't sure what it was, but no error showed up, and engaging/disengaging the parking brakes have no issue. Could this be a possible reason at all? I feel it's unlikely..?

The second, more likely cause, might be from when I had my car's oil changed/tires rotated today at the dealership. Could the act of lifting my car have shifted the spring, perhaps rotating it slightly, so it doesn't sit properly now? I had an oil change once before this, after lowering my car, with no issue. But could this be a pretty likely thing to cause this?

I've attached some photos to show the difference between all corners as reference.

Front Left:
IMG_20200920_193617.jpg

Front Right:
IMG_20200920_193636.jpg

Rear Right:
IMG_20200920_193649.jpg

Rear Left:
IMG_20200920_193731.jpg

Front Left:
IMG_20200920_193434.jpg

Front Right:
IMG_20200920_193449.jpg

Rear Right:

Rear Left:

Thanks so much! I'm a little paranoid to drive but I need to for work, so I might try to look at it more tomorrow.
The spring probably shifted. Lowering springs won't travel the same suspension travel the OE springs would, so the maximum travel of the suspension is now greater than the untensioned spring length.

The damping rate of the shocks/struts are also calculated in combination with the spring's length and travel. The damping rate would be different with a shorter spring if they were co-engineered, but you've replaced the co-engineered OE springs with different springs.

You can stop it from happening by using suspension limiter straps.

(Sorry about the discombobulated reply - it got saved and I didn't know where the saved text went!)

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The spring probably shifted. Lowering springs won't travel the same suspension travel the OE springs would, so the maximum travel of the suspension is now greater than the untensioned spring length.

The damping rate of the shocks/struts are also calculated in combination with the spring's length and travel. The damping rate would be different with a shorter spring if they were co-engineered, but you've replaced the co-engineered OE springs with different springs.

You can stop it from happening by using suspension limiter straps.

(Sorry about the discombobulated reply - it got saved and I didn't know where the saved text went!)
That's something I never considered actually, getting the limiter straps. I'll look into that just so this doesn't happen again/as easily. Because I can imagine the wheels going far down enough that some jostling from rotating the tires could've moved the spring slightly, especially knowing how the rear ones just sit on the perch (if that's the correct part). Thanks!

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The spring probably just wasn’t seated in the correct orientation. Maybe the spring needs to be rotated a bit so it doesn’t happen so easily again.

Just my guess. i’ve never messed with springs
Yea, judging how the height seems to have gotten back to normal after my drive, I'm guessing that was probably the case. Maybe the driving allowed it to rotate back into place. It wouldn't hurt for me to lift the rear up and see if they are loose at all tho, when I can. Thanks!

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
If the road isn't flat or if you have something heavy in the trunk the car doesn't always sit with perfect square fender Gap, that's my guess.
I hoped it was that at first, but then knowing how I've parked in this same spot so much, and the height changed suddenly, was odd. The height of this corner was off at a different spot on the property too, as well as after a short drive to see if it would settle. But now after the longer drive last night, it seems to be fine.

My trunk is almost always empty anyways, only thing missing was a small hand vacuum :p

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Agreed that it sounds like the spring rotating in the perch when the car was lifted. I’ve had some other cars that suffered from this with lowering springs, just had to remember to verify spring orientation before putting the car back down. Or install limiters.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Best way to eliminate uneven fender gap is to use coilovers. Using lowering springs would usually result in uneven fender gap due to the orientation of the engine’s transmission. I had the same problem in my 6th gen Civic before when I was using lowering springs and was corrected with coilovers.

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Best way to eliminate uneven fender gap is to use coilovers. Using lowering springs would usually result in uneven fender gap due to the orientation of the engine’s transmission. I had the same problem in my 6th gen Civic before when I was using lowering springs and was corrected with coilovers.
I'll definitely consider coilovers in the future, especially once I hone down the exact fitment I'll be going for. Gotta save up for them :3 But it would be nice to have those so I don't have to worry about the shocks on the car right now lol

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Agreed that it sounds like the spring rotating in the perch when the car was lifted. I’ve had some other cars that suffered from this with lowering springs, just had to remember to verify spring orientation before putting the car back down. Or install limiters.
But chance do you have any limiters that are used on civics? From my (somewhat quick) search before, seems like they're focused for keeps/trucks etc, but I'll be looking more when I can. Not sure if there is really much difference besides just their length...? Thanks!

skorj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
But chance do you have any limiters that are used on civics? From my (somewhat quick) search before, seems like they're focused for keeps/trucks etc, but I'll be looking more when I can. Not sure if there is really much difference besides just their length...? Thanks!
Limiters are something I'm not typically a fan of, they can cause some handling issues if you unexpectedly reach that limit. Ideally you shouldn't be having any issues except when lifting the car, as you have done.

OP
OP
TripleDeckerPBJ

TripleDeckerPBJ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Limiters are something I'm not typically a fan of, they can cause some handling issues if you unexpectedly reach that limit. Ideally you shouldn't be having any issues except when lifting the car, as you have done.
Ah, actually I see what you mean... I'm sure I likely don't reach those limits, especially with typical driving, but I'd hate to reach that limit and have them affect my handling when I wouldn't expect it. I'll be doing some research to see :p
Sponsored