Oil pump took a crap and destroyed motor

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD.
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey all, so as the title states my oil pump either seized or clogged up and ultimately caused the motor to fail. I have a 2016 Honda Civic touring with the cvt, would an engine from a 17+ SI swap over with no issues? Not looking to make it MT just want the beefier OEM internals that the SI comes with. Thank you all
Sponsored

OP
OP
David16touring

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah it actually just happened on my way home from work yesterday. I got the low oil level light just flash on my dash on and off really fast just once, when I got home I checked the oil level and it was perfectly okay. Fast forward to today morning I very slowly crawled my car to the store about, not wanting to push the car hard since I was still worried about the oil light, once I leave the store to come back to my house I hear a ticking noise and just assume the worst. Slowly made my way home, as I’m literally pulling into my driveway I hear a squeaking noise accompanied with the ticking and right away I turn my car off. I call the tow truck so I can get my car to the dealer to not cause more potential damage and I shit you not when the tow truck gets to my house I go to back up my car out of the driveway and as soon as I give it the slightest amount of gas the car just dies on me. Had my tech at the dealership I work at look at the car, started with the oil pump, he removes it and there was a small chunk or two of metal and a whole bunch of metal shavings.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An Si engine would be fine but you'll want to either swap the ECU or have it custom tuned. Also, be aware that the non-Si and Si use different MAF sensors and that will have to be handled as well.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
So not many people know that the oil light indicator is not to tell you that you are low on oil. It comes on if oil pressure is lost or if there are other issues related to the oil as well.

If a light is actually flashing at you, CEL or oil light or any light, that means you need to stop driving the vehicle Immediately because you could potentially be causing damage by continuing to drive.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, is there more to this story?

I have to ask because of your mod list:

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil pump took a crap and destroyed motor Screenshot_20200916-171213

How long were you tuned? How many miles? Driving style? What kind of maintainence and datalog history? Inquiring minds and all that. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
David16touring

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
An Si engine would be fine but you'll want to either swap the ECU or have it custom tuned. Also, be aware that the non-Si and Si use different MAF sensors and that will have to be handled as well.
I would go the custom tune route so I can avoid having to buy an ECU as well and do you know if I can just buy the Si maf and it’ll plug right into my existing connector? Or would there need to be wire splicing involved? Thanks for your help

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So not many people know that the oil light indicator is not to tell you that you are low on oil. It comes on if oil pressure is lost or if there are other issues related to the oil as well.

If a light is actually flashing at you, CEL or oil light or any light, that means you need to stop driving the vehicle Immediately because you could potentially be causing damage by continuing to drive.
Right, it is an oil pressure sensor. So, if your oil pump dies or is clogged, it will lose pressure and the light should come on.

Or if you completely run out of oil, it should come on.

And yes, you need to stop driving the car immediately if the light comes on.

OP
OP
David16touring

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Alright, I definitely learned that the hard way I guess, did not know that.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Alright, I definitely learned that the hard way I guess, did not know that.
Everybody is always a student driver, even the people who think they’re the best driver in the world.

What did Honda say about your 100k mile powertrain warranty?

Many people are going to want to dive deeper into this and start asking you about your maintenance habits. This is the first time we’ve seen a thread about an oil pump taking a crap.

How often do you change your oil? Do you change your filter every oil change or every other? What filter brand do you use? Are you using full synthetic 0W20? Who changes your oil? Is there a chance something may have contaminated your oil? Are you tuned? Any power modifications?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
David16touring

David16touring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP, Is there more to this story?

Screenshot_20200916-171213.png

How long were you tuned? How many miles? Driving style? Inquiring minds and all that. :cool:
OP, Is there more to this story?

Screenshot_20200916-171213.png

How long were you tuned? How many miles? Driving style? Inquiring minds and all that. :cool:
Not gonna lie I’ve been wanting to fill out your survey so bad but I did not even check my mileage or remember when I install my mods, I just excited to get them on lol.

Right now I have almost 89k miles but yes there’s much more to the story like you said. I recently got my head gasket replaced, the replacement was done by a HONDA/ACURA certified master tech who I trust very much so I know that wasn’t the issue. But we did notice my motor had a lot of sludge built up since the oil and coolant were mixing due to the head gasket leaking, he cleaned up as much as he could and we ran Seafoam after to clean up some more sludge and then drained that oil. I think the oil pump failed cause there was still some more sludge that I’m sure was still built up somewhere and potentially clogged the oil pump. I got my head gasket replaced at the beginning of august by the way.

Not gonna lie before I had gotten my head gasket replaced I used to run my car fairly hard, just doing some pulls whenever I wanted to see who’s car was faster lol after the head gasket replacement I didn’t run it nowhere near as hard but still did a pull here and there on the highway just to feel that boost kick in.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting that info up. I think it's important to know what might have led up to various failures that we read about here.
Sponsored