NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
The condensors have been going bad and leaking well before the Covid crisis.
I don't know for sure why yours leaked out but I would not rule out a bad condensor.

Good dealers replace the condensor without any hassle. My dealer is.
Sponsored

Deb K

First Name
Deb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic and the AC pooped out earl this summer. It's hot here in the south. I took it to the dealership (not hte one I bought it from, but the closest on, where I've purchased several previous Hondas). They said they had to replace the whole things, and charged me $2500 (which I put on a credit card and am still paying off). Now I'm reading that this seems to be a bigger issue, not just specific to my car. Do I have recourse?

OP
OP
latole

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a 2016 Civic and the AC pooped out earl this summer. It's hot here in the south. I took it to the dealership (not hte one I bought it from, but the closest on, where I've purchased several previous Hondas). They said they had to replace the whole things, and charged me $2500 (which I put on a credit card and am still paying off). Now I'm reading that this seems to be a bigger issue, not just specific to my car. Do I have recourse?

Ask for a second opinion from a A/C shop, not dealer.

anthonyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
It'll be hard to get the money back after the fact, the proof is gone. Check the invoice and see if they charged you for the condenser. If they did, see if it specifies why it was replaced. The only reason you should have been charged for a bad condenser would be rock damage. If they replaced it because of the defect then you should not have been charged, so there may be a way to get that money back.

I have read other stories on here where dealers replaced both the compressor and condenser. The compressor very well may have been bad in those cases, and the dealer just replaced the condenser (for free) while they had the car in. Or they may have charged for a compressor to get some $$ back for the warranty work, just depends on the dealer. I took my car to a dealer I'd never been to and got the condenser replaced + refrigerant recharge for free, just took 6 weeks.

Last edited:

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Updates; Following my approach answer # 11

The A / C doesn't work again.
I just visited my A / C repair shop and the condenser is leaking in several places.

The replacement will cost $ 511 CND for parts, labor and various taxes. I have more confidence in this workshop (than at the dealership) where it is the boss who does the work and who has already helped me in the last 20 years. And also that I find it important to encourage him.
Work is scheduled for March 23

Perhaps the meter would have been replaced on warranty at no cost at the dealer but nothing is certain. But I would have surely had other expenses like the gas refill ($ 200?) Or, at worst a bill of $ 2500 like Deb K.
Here I wanted to keep you posted.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Updates; Following my approach answer # 11

The A / C doesn't work again.
I just visited my A / C repair shop and the condenser is leaking in several places.

The replacement will cost $ 511 CND for parts, labor and various taxes. I have more confidence in this workshop (than at the dealership) where it is the boss who does the work and who has already helped me in the last 20 years. And also that I find it important to encourage him.
Work is scheduled for March 23

Perhaps the meter would have been replaced on warranty at no cost at the dealer but nothing is certain. But I would have surely had other expenses like the gas refill ($ 200?) Or, at worst a bill of $ 2500 like Deb K.
Here I wanted to keep you posted.
Was he able to see the leak because of the dye? DO you get a noise from the AC Compressor? Does the AC Compressor turn on at all? Is this the same noise you get:

OP
OP
latole

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The mechanic and me we see the leak ( with yellow google ) after he put spécial gas/ liquid in system.
No noise from compressor. Only condenser was the issue.
I hear if you run compressor with no gas on A/C you can damage it

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Here’s an update. I have no idea now. AC working just fine. Still have the noise but now it’s muffled by the fan

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
How is this not a class action suit yet? How is there not some kind of recall or lemon law thing for the a/c or compressor? (I know of the thing set up nearly 18 months ago but nothing has progressed it seems)

I had my compressor fail at 32k and it was replaced. I was told it was a one off and believed it, I wish I saw this then to get the extended warranty, Im at 51k and it failed AGAIN, the honda dealers are giving me a quote of $2300.

Thankfully I have mechanic friends who say they can likely either fix my compressor or get it replaced at cost

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How is this not a class action suit yet? How is there not some kind of recall or lemon law thing for the a/c or compressor? (I know of the thing set up nearly 18 months ago but nothing has progressed it seems)

I had my compressor fail at 32k and it was replaced. I was told it was a one off and believed it, I wish I saw this then to get the extended warranty, Im at 51k and it failed AGAIN, the honda dealers are giving me a quote of $2300.

Thankfully I have mechanic friends who say they can likely either fix my compressor or get it replaced at cost
Yup just verified via stethoscope that it’s the compressor. Can it be replaced without bumper removal?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
Yup just verified via stethoscope that it’s the compressor. Can it be replaced without bumper removal?
Yes it can be, as long as you can get under the car and take off the skid plate. I also had to remove the down pipe in order to get to some bolts.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
What bolts required the down pipe removal?
I can’t remember what size sockets I used off the top of my head but one thing you will want to have is a o2 sensor socket because it holds the heat shroud in place and there’s 2 bolts underneath once you take off the shroud.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can’t remember what size sockets I used off the top of my head but one thing you will want to have is a o2 sensor socket because it holds the heat shroud in place and there’s 2 bolts underneath once you take off the shroud.
I mean, what bolts on the compressor were so hard to get to that the down pipe had to come off?
Sponsored