Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
1970 & 1971 Honda CT90, 1991 Mazda Miata, 1999 BMW M Coupe, 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! w-HvxSzFMU2gsOnub4UzfUBDo7coM2XsxL1rWuE0fejj_xit6c

Hi all, Common Fibers is a new sponsor here on CivicX, and I’d like to introduce ourselves and share some pictures of our work!

Who We Are

Common Fibers is a full-service carbon fiber design and manufacturing business in Seattle, WA. I’m Spencer, one of the engineers here, and I’ll be representing us on CivicX. This is our first forum sponsorship, we decided to start here because we have a solid history supporting Honda and Acura enthusiasts and their vehicles. We make parts for several Honda models under our brand and for resellers, including the 10th generation Civic Type R, prior generation Civics, NSX, S2000, and more. We’ve sponsored Type-R Expo and NSXPO several years running and we’re official Honda brand licensees.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! IMG_20191012_083521

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! CF Team

Common Fibers was founded by engineers and we think carbon fiber is really, really cool. We want to see carbon used in more places, both for its inimitable aesthetic and laundry list of technical advantages. Our goal has always been to make carbon fiber technology commonplace - accessible to anyone who wants to use it, not just an exotic material found in aircraft and race cars. Thus, the name “Common Fibers”.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! Carbon-Fiber-Cadillac-ATS-V-Coupe-Spoiler

Carbon fiber fabrication has traditionally been a financially exclusive technology and a secretive industry. There isn’t a lot of readily available information about making carbon fiber parts. Our business has grown quickly and organically because we’re approachable and willing to get creative with our customers to find ways to make their ideas reality.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! Finishing 3

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! Fabricatio

We believe all boats rise with the tide, and so we happily share hard-won knowledge with the public. If you’re thinking about making something out of carbon fiber, check out our DIY blogs and our Instagram for pro-tips and in-depth tutorials. Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Message me here, reach out on social media, email us, or give us a call at (253) 246-7531.

Common Fibers Group Buy

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! Group Buy 2.PNG

Another reason why I’m on CivicX is to spread the word about our custom carbon fiber group buy web platform: Common Fibers Group Buy. We’ve spoken to thousands of automotive enthusiasts and completed hundreds of projects, and any way you slice it, making custom carbon parts is an expensive endeavor. We’ve done a lot to bring the cost down, from upcycling Boeing’s excess carbon fiber to innovating unique ways to inexpensively prototype carbon fiber parts, but there’s no getting around the fact that fabricating carbon fiber is tricky and incredibly labor intensive. The reality is that the mold required to make just one part costs about three times the part itself. Making parts in larger batches is more efficient, and therefore less expensive.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! Group Buy 1.PNG

We’ve had customers try to share the cost of the mold between several people by organizing group buys on forums such as this one, but it can be difficult to convey your concept, organize buyers, and collect payment. To address this challenge we created Common Fibers Group Buy. CF Group Buy provides a platform for individuals to sponsor a project and share it with their circle of fellow enthusiasts. If enough people commit to the group buy, we can spread out the cost of the mold and bring the part cost down as well. Right now we have a group buy for a carbon fiber engine cover for a 10th generation Honda Civic Type R that I’m hoping you all will like. We’ve had successful group buys, but CF Group Buy is still very new and we’re looking for feedback on the website and process, and for more group buy sponsors. Message me if you have questions about CF Group Buy or would like to sponsor a part for the 10th gen Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! 20200803_150758

Honda Licensed Products

Common Fibers has an unusual origin considering that we’re now a full-fledged engineering and manufacturing business. We were established in 2013 by husband and wife duo Ann and Gabe Mountjoy. The two met while studying engineering and competing in hyper-mileage competitions where they built vehicles capable of returning upwards of 2,000 miles per gallon, in large part due to the incredible strength-to-weight ratio afforded by carbon fiber construction. Ann later worked as a researcher for Boeing developing composite parts for the 787 Dreamliner, while Gabe spent time in the composites tooling industry and designing equipment for wildlands firefighters.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! Lamina 1

While working their day jobs, they continued to research and develop their own ideas and patented the world’s first carbon fiber hinge, which they showcased on a line of carbon fiber wallets launched on Kickstarter. Wallets and accessories only make up about 10% of our business these days, but we continue to perfect them and love being able to give people a slick piece of genuine carbon fiber to carry in their pocket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! NSX 047

As I mentioned before, we have a relationship with Honda and are Honda brand licensees. We have a line of Honda branded carbon fiber wallets and accessories, so check them out on our Licensed Product website if you need to refresh your cash stash while representing your favorite make. Use code CIVICX20 at checkout for 20% off any licensed gear.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! NSX 018

Thanks for taking the time to allow me to introduce ourselves. We are thrilled to be sponsoring CivicX, and look forward to serving forum members and the Honda community in any way we can!

Cheers,

Spencer

Last edited:

websitesdown

First Name
Bee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2023 Civic Sport
Country flag
w-HvxSzFMU2gsOnub4UzfUBDo7coM2XsxL1rWuE0fejj_xit6c.jpg

Hi all, Common Fibers is a new sponsor here on CivicX, and I’d like to introduce ourselves and share some pictures of our work!

Who We Are

Common Fibers is a full-service carbon fiber design and manufacturing business in Seattle, WA. I’m Spencer, one of the engineers here, and I’ll be representing us on CivicX. This is our first forum sponsorship, we decided to start here because we have a solid history supporting Honda and Acura enthusiasts and their vehicles. We make parts for several Honda models under our brand and for resellers, including the 10th generation Civic Type R, prior generation Civics, NSX, S2000, and more. We’ve sponsored Type-R Expo and NSXPO several years running and we’re official Honda brand licensees.

IMG_20191012_083521.jpg

Common Fibers was founded by engineers and we think carbon fiber is really, really cool. We want to see carbon used in more places, both for its inimitable aesthetic and laundry list of technical advantages. Our goal has always been to make carbon fiber technology commonplace - accessible to anyone who wants to use it, not just an exotic material found in aircraft and race cars. Thus, the name “Common Fibers”.

[IMG alt="A picture containing indoor, sitting, table, small

Description automatically generated"]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/h...3SYMb6TbvKACNs1DszU7mXNWDzX_OuECQ_I_IJg[/IMG]

Carbon fiber fabrication has traditionally been a financially exclusive technology and a secretive industry. There isn’t a lot of readily available information about making carbon fiber parts. Our business has grown quickly and organically because we’re approachable and willing to get creative with our customers to find ways to make their ideas reality.

[IMG alt="A picture containing sitting, laying, table, cellphone

Description automatically generated"]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Y...bRFjI5ozexCexV6MhjNj0iFVoeLYBarbkT0pmlw[/IMG]

[IMG alt="A picture containing sitting, bag, person, pair

Description automatically generated"]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/x...28RPYbR5reJhyGapY-c8x2_1lxxF-7RXsUZflEQ[/IMG]

We believe all boats rise with the tide, and so we happily share hard-won knowledge with the public. If you’re thinking about making something out of carbon fiber, check out our DIY blogs and our Instagram for pro-tips and in-depth tutorials. Can’t find the answer you’re looking for? Message me here, reach out on social media, email us, or give us a call at (253) 246-7531.

Common Fibers Group Buy

[IMG alt="A picture containing sitting, photo, small, front
Description automatically generated"]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/S8E4GdTH7q8D2ydsgaUK7xKTuwMmpxVH2kI19jOHcHGKfQn_NFkL-2aNX60yulaxtghWuHQhPiiJdwyn9BgAatsIifzXniPM4-oXHW4_ZfDFu41ZkhzmDlBWBHlQ5Y55gJUX8kSjOpkvS2d8Ag[/IMG]

Another reason why I’m on CivicX is to spread the word about our custom carbon fiber group buy web platform: Common Fibers Group Buy. We’ve spoken to thousands of automotive enthusiasts and completed hundreds of projects, and any way you slice it, making custom carbon parts is an expensive endeavor. We’ve done a lot to bring the cost down, from upcycling Boeing’s excess carbon fiber to innovating unique ways to inexpensively prototype carbon fiber parts, but there’s no getting around the fact that fabricating carbon fiber is tricky and incredibly labor intensive. The reality is that the mold required to make just one part costs about three times the part itself. Making parts in larger batches is more efficient, and therefore less expensive.

[IMG alt="A screenshot of a computer screen
Description automatically generated"]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/yvpM6Ttc9d_lrbLcSUjQaBGt6HiM5ml39eQEjZyJMVzUFqLrodYObzB43QIlUtZvom7DiQvCqkqEiFH1XQzsWKXlCw5P5qyrZaScruewkdkpZEBOIgyhDzKfnwqZi6KEs--PYmS6z4YFrrGnqw[/IMG]

We’ve had customers try to share the cost of the mold between several people by organizing group buys on forums such as this one, but it can be difficult to convey your concept, organize buyers, and collect payment. To address this challenge we created Common Fibers Group Buy. CF Group Buy provides a platform for individuals to sponsor a project and share it with their circle of fellow enthusiasts. If enough people commit to the group buy, we can spread out the cost of the mold and bring the part cost down as well. Right now we have a group buy for a carbon fiber 10th generation Honda Civic Type R that I’m hoping you all will like. We’ve had successful group buys, but CF Group Buy is still very new and we’re looking for feedback on the website and process, and for more group buy sponsors. Message me if you have questions about CF Group Buy or would like to sponsor a part for the 10th gen Civic.

[IMG alt="A picture containing outdoor, road, sitting, small

Description automatically generated"]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/z...mmUDnDM4f-cMem4p6RUs_a5Xn2zAmlzw5Dd4EIw[/IMG]

Honda Licensed Products

Common Fibers has an unusual origin considering that we’re now a full-fledged engineering and manufacturing business. We were established in 2013 by husband and wife duo Ann and Gabe Mountjoy. The two met while studying engineering and competing in hyper-mileage competitions where they built vehicles capable of returning upwards of 2,000 miles per gallon, in large part due to the incredible strength-to-weight ratio afforded by carbon fiber construction. Ann later worked as a researcher for Boeing developing composite parts for the 787 Dreamliner, while Gabe spent time in the composites tooling industry and designing equipment for wildlands firefighters.

[IMG alt="A close up of a device

Description automatically generated"]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/b...c4yUpg1iSdPXfRXY6-bR9LWuoSImNuPIqzIM5hQ[/IMG]

While working their day jobs, they continued to research and develop their own ideas and patented the world’s first carbon fiber hinge, which they showcased on a line of carbon fiber wallets launched on Kickstarter. Wallets and accessories only make up about 10% of our business these days, but we continue to perfect them and love being able to give people a slick piece of genuine carbon fiber to carry in their pocket.

[IMG alt="A picture containing outdoor, grass, sitting, street
Description automatically generated"]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/8-hsXjmOrt4UphakRR4AZdaJ_r8xl9UMVZ0rR2X5A3pdOarLJO94L8c5Nh1sbC37ix_szoawQ2f8mK_5GMomON79OkMxdTmagj1fkfrFTHvIs5aPBP6X3k3TSH3J1ZEMSoyY_1DsiOkovk88lQ[/IMG]

As I mentioned before, we have a relationship with Honda and are Honda brand licensees. We have a line of Honda branded carbon fiber wallets and accessories, so check them out on our Licensed Product website if you need to refresh your cash stash while representing your favorite make. Use code CIVICX20 at checkout for 20% off any licensed gear.

[IMG alt="A wheel of a bicycle

Description automatically generated"]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/X...mb6qkZ447dEwCd_qfsIK41hU1CwgD5-XaW2zrog[/IMG]

Thanks for taking the time to allow me to introduce ourselves. We are thrilled to be sponsoring CivicX, and look forward to serving forum members and the Honda community in any way we can!

Cheers,

Spencer

You have a lot of automatically generated descriptions listed.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
Please make this. Small part, can’t be hard. The manual one exists already. CVT model is needed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! AD1CB5B0-3659-4330-B62F-8BF50D0C1E58

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
1970 & 1971 Honda CT90, 1991 Mazda Miata, 1999 BMW M Coupe, 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Country flag
Please make this. Small part, can’t be hard. The manual one exists already. CVT model is needed.

AD1CB5B0-3659-4330-B62F-8BF50D0C1E58.jpeg
Thanks for the suggestion! This looks like a piece of interior trim - I'm guessing part of the shifter surround, correct?

This does look like a pretty simple project. Often the most challenging aspect of making interior trim parts is making mounting features (plastic tabs, xmas tree fasteners etc), so I'd want to know what the backside looks like. If it's just double-sided adhesive, that makes it very easy.

We'd either "splash mold" this part or 3D scan it and machine a mold, but in either case we'd need to get our hands on one. If you're interested in either having a one-off for yourself, or trying to organize a group buy for this, DM me with some basic dimensions (LxWxH) and let me know what the backside looks like and I can work up a cost estimate for you.

PM&M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Wow I'm sure I must've passed by the place a number of times over the years, shout-out to you guys for joining and supporting the forums.

Conveniently I've been looking into adding additional venting solutions to my carbon hood for the foreseeable future, would work or a service of cutting into the hood be something your business can provide?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like you guys make some great parts !I've recently been making my own carbon parts for the first time ,( intake air duct) and i can say the mold takes up all the time .The better the mold the better the end parts will be.Unfortunately time is something that isn't always available for me at least.(Wife & kid)
Will you guys be making some engine or aero parts for the 10th gen civic?

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
w-HvxSzFMU2gsOnub4UzfUBDo7coM2XsxL1rWuE0fejj_xit6c.jpg

Who We Are

IMG_20191012_083521.jpg

CF Team.jpg

Carbon-Fiber-Cadillac-ATS-V-Coupe-Spoiler.jpg

Finishing 3.jpg

Fabrication.png

Common Fibers Group Buy

Group Buy 2.PNG

Group Buy 1.PNG

We’ve had customers try to share the cost of the mold between several people by organizing group buys on forums such as this one, but it can be difficult to convey your concept, organize buyers, and collect payment. To address this challenge we created Common Fibers Group Buy. CF Group Buy provides a platform for individuals to sponsor a project and share it with their circle of fellow enthusiasts. If enough people commit to the group buy, we can spread out the cost of the mold and bring the part cost down as well. Right now we have a group buy for a carbon fiber engine cover for a 10th generation Honda Civic Type R that I’m hoping you all will like. We’ve had successful group buys, but CF Group Buy is still very new and we’re looking for feedback on the website and process, and for more group buy sponsors. Message me if you have questions about CF Group Buy or would like to sponsor a part for the 10th gen Civic.

20200803_150758.jpg

Honda Licensed Products

Lamina 1.jpg

NSX 047.jpg

NSX 018.jpg

Cheers,

Spencer
Welcome!

I wish someone would make carbon fiber (real or realistic looking) inserts to replace the fake grills on the front and back bumpers of the Civic Si models.

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow I'm sure I must've passed by the place a number of times over the years, shout-out to you guys for joining and supporting the forums.

Conveniently I've been looking into adding additional venting solutions to my carbon hood for the foreseeable future, would work or a service of cutting into the hood be something your business can provide?
Thanks for the shout-out, it's great seeing fellow Seattleites on the forum! Feel free to hit me up if you ever want a tour of the shop.

We do a good amount of modification, repair, and refinishing work to carbon fiber parts. Let me know the details of what you need done and I'm sure we can come up with some solutions.

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like you guys make some great parts !I've recently been making my own carbon parts for the first time ,( intake air duct) and i can say the mold takes up all the time .The better the mold the better the end parts will be.Unfortunately time is something that isn't always available for me at least.(Wife & kid)
Will you guys be making some engine or aero parts for the 10th gen civic?
Sounds like you've dabbled enough to know what you're talking about! If you start with a poor mold, everything downstream suffers. Feel free to ask me anything about mold making - we make new molds everyday and are happy to share our process. We also make molds for customers who just need the tool, but will be making the carbon part themselves.

We are very interested in making more parts for the 10th gen civic. I've been getting a ton of good suggestions from owners here and elsewhere. I'm thinking of starting a new thread to ask forum members what they'd like, and if we can get enough interested people then maybe we'll move ahead with that part.

OP
OP
Common Fibers

Common Fibers

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Website
commonfibers.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Welcome!

I wish someone would make carbon fiber (real or realistic looking) inserts to replace the fake grills on the front and back bumpers of the Civic Si models.
Thank you! Those are the honeycomb patterned grills, right? Do they actually have venting through them, or are they solid?

The overall shape of those grills would be pretty easy to make, but the embossed honeycomb pattern could be tricky to recreate in carbon fiber. The finer the detail, the more difficult it is to transfer nicely to the surface of the carbon fiber part. We do make parts out of honeycomb weave carbon however, which looks awesome. And of course you could change the design of the grill entirely if you wanted to.

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you've dabbled enough to know what you're talking about! If you start with a poor mold, everything downstream suffers. Feel free to ask me anything about mold making - we make new molds everyday and are happy to share our process. We also make molds for customers who just need the tool, but will be making the carbon part themselves.

We are very interested in making more parts for the 10th gen civic. I've been getting a ton of good suggestions from owners here and elsewhere. I'm thinking of starting a new thread to ask forum members what they'd like, and if we can get enough interested people then maybe we'll move ahead with that part.
Yeah it was my first time working with carbon fiber and i mainly used tutorials from easycomposites.uk .Did my first parts wet lay carbon fiber and then used a vacuum storage bag to vacuum bag it.It worked pretty well,except for a few bridges in the corners.
I'm now looking into working with infusion ,but need to adapt the mold for larger flanges.

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! 95360273_662011511029179_2903894046718033920_n

Honda Civic 10th gen Hello CivicX! We're Common Fibers, Your Carbon Fiber Experts! 0010

aidan5678

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic sedan
Country flag
Thank you! Those are the honeycomb patterned grills, right? Do they actually have venting through them, or are they solid?

The overall shape of those grills would be pretty easy to make, but the embossed honeycomb pattern could be tricky to recreate in carbon fiber. The finer the detail, the more difficult it is to transfer nicely to the surface of the carbon fiber part. We do make parts out of honeycomb weave carbon however, which looks awesome. And of course you could change the design of the grill entirely if you wanted to.
They are solid, no actual venting. I was thinking, a carbon fiber little tree imitation (air freshener) would be wicked nice. Just as a permanent accessory to decorate the interior.

https://www.littletrees.com/
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.