First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve got some time off and figure I may pull the interior of the car apart to hunt down some rattle gremlins. I’ve got spots in the doors... at the A-pillars and somewhere under the dash around/behind the blower motor... but it isn’t the motor itself.

I’ve spent a while looking at threads but I know very little first hand about sound deadening material. I do have some adhesive felt but I know that’s more to stop rattles than sound deadening and if I have panels off I figured I’d add a little. I see Noico mentioned and on Amazon... I’ve paid to have doors on my Z dynomatted (have no idea what they actually used but I was happy when my sound system was being redone) and well... what do y’all suggest? Just looking for a more solid thunk... and figure I’ll be pulling my doors and A pillars totally off and possibly digging deeper than I want into the dash. I see piles of different thicknesses of the Noico stuff. I’m not too concerned about weight in the little car, but want something that isn’t hard to handle and will allow the panels to go back together w/o gaps. I don’t know how much airspace is behind some of them.
Sponsored

Deleted member 40377

I wish I spent the time when I had the door panels off when I installed the new speakers this past winter. I need to go back and do all the doors and then thinking about the hatch space. I used to compete in car audio back in the day, always used dynamat. They have better stuff out now. Anything you can do to stop rattle and even resonance, the better. It's a pain if you go too far as you'll end up removing everything down to the frame. As I get older, I find I have so much less tolerance for that kind of torture. These days, I'll pay someone to do that and not have any fitment issues from my screw-ups....sorry, I'll get off my podium now.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wish I spent the time when I had the door panels off when I installed the new speakers this past winter. I need to go back and do all the doors and then thinking about the hatch space. I used to compete in car audio back in the day, always used dynamat. They have better stuff out now. Anything you can do to stop rattle and even resonance, the better. It's a pain if you go too far as you'll end up removing everything down to the frame. As I get older, I find I have so much less tolerance for that kind of torture. These days, I'll pay someone to do that and not have any fitment issues from my screw-ups....sorry, I'll get off my podium now.
Yeah. Goal one is rattles... but if I’m going to take the time to pull panels, I figure I’ll give it a little TLC. I’ve recorded a few videos I’ve got to see how to upload I was going to put in the issues section. There’s something in the dash that I’m a bit leery on attacking. It’s one of those I’d toss at the dealer one more time to see. I thought it was a leaf or something stuck in the blower motor... but... it’s not... and it’s not constant either... and it’s independent of either the blower is on or not. Sounds likea damn playing card in the spokes of a bike sometimes.

I hate that I’ve got a ear for weird sounds in a car. They drive me nuts. My wife swears she can’t hear them when I think they’re loud as hell... then bitches at me when I can’t understand her when she mumbles from across the house standing next to the running dishwasher, facing away.. asking why I can’t hear her when I can hear “silent rattles”. ?

thatcaveman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-T
Country flag
I just went with Dynamat and it was worth it. Figured I’d do it once and right even though it’s a bit more expensive. Big upgrade on the mid bass from the new speakers I installed and a decent upgrade to limit the outside noise. I’m still getting a lot of in-cabin noise from the stock Conti’s which are worn so once I replace those it should help enhance the benefit of the install.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
anyone ever use those foam rings around the speakers?

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just went with Dynamat and it was worth it. Figured I’d do it once and right even though it’s a bit more expensive. Big upgrade on the mid bass from the new speakers I installed and a decent upgrade to limit the outside noise. I’m still getting a lot of in-cabin noise from the stock Conti’s which are worn so once I replace those it should help enhance the benefit of the install.
The Continental Pro Contacts were the OEM tires for my ‘15 Si and ‘14 Odyssey. Loud, poor wet traction. Sidewall bulges and blowouts. They were a mix of too bad and exciting for me. ?

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I used following parts:
1st layer Kilmat 50 mil 50 sqft as a vibration deadener
2nd layer Noico RED 150 mil Сar Sound Insulation
3rd layer STANDARTPLAST Accent 400 mil

Also depends what is your budget, if I didn't have limited budget I would do this:
1st layer STANDARTPLAST Silber 80 mil vibration deadener
2nd layer Noico RED 150 mil Сar Sound Insulation
3rd layer STANDARTPLAST Accent 400 mil

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 2013 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring
Country flag
OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Appreciate it. I have some 80 Mil deadener and 150 mil foam kind of stuff on the way along with a roller. I figure this along with some felt I already have on and might make a bit of a difference as I disassemble to hunt down rattle points. Thanks for the suggestions.

'19Sport6Man

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport, 2013 Mazda MX-5 Grand Touring
Country flag
I got an excellent result when I replaced the entire crappy Bose system in my MX-5 last year, using the product and roller that I recommended above.

Found a set of 8" component speakers (Focal) that dropped right into the doors after removing the Bose and large plastic baffle they sat in, that provide enough bass that I didn't need a subwoofer (which is good as space is extremely limited).

The Kilmat allows the 8" speakers to provide excellent mid-bass without the panels vibrating, etc.

Good luck with your project!

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? 2r3TYXAfSziXPwn57sPmDA

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? TwPLNfHeTJaGdBfu4vSqGQ

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got an excellent result when I replaced the entire crappy Bose system in my MX-5 last year, using the product and roller that I recommended above.

Found a set of 8" component speakers (Focal) that dropped right into the doors after removing the Bose and large plastic baffle they sat in, that provide enough bass that I didn't need a subwoofer (which is good as space is extremely limited).

The Kilmat allows the 8" speakers to provide excellent mid-bass without the panels vibrating, etc.

Good luck with your project!

2r3TYXAfSziXPwn57sPmDA.jpg

TwPLNfHeTJaGdBfu4vSqGQ.jpg
Much appreciated.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I need to find some time to work on this project

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So... yeah...?

What’s the best strategy for the plastic on the inner part of the door trim? Rubber deadening and foam? Foam only...?

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? ADAD5747-E95F-484F-A6AB-A4749D272B1C

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I did it in Odyssey and Civic
Kilmat over the plastic (to eliminate vibration), and foam on top of that (to eliminate noises)

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? IMG_7640

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? IMG_9420

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? IMG_9344

Honda Civic 10th gen Recommended sound insulation? IMG_5393