What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s 2020 and I learned how to upload videos to that newfangled YouTube just for this! ?

There’s a noise... sounds like a damn playing card in the spokes of a bike. I figured it was just something stuck in the blower motor which is (relatively) easy to get to. It’s independent of whether the blower motor is on or off. ? Sucks. It’s also kind of intermittent... so double damn. Sounds way back in the dash. I don’t think it’s on the other side of the firewall... but I’ve got more digging to do. Anyone have something similar?

As a bonus... these damn doors (sigh). I figure it’s an easy pull off the control portion... maybe tighten a screw underneath and then put felt here or there. Suggestions appreciated. Car sounds like a 20 year old Kia these days.

Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might need to see a therapist. Just stop touching the door handles. lol
Have you pulled the cabin filter to see if maybe there is something in there waving about? What does the dealer say. It only 2 years old.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You might need to see a therapist. Just stop touching the door handles. lol
Have you pulled the cabin filter to see if maybe there is something in there waving about? What does the dealer say. It only 2 years old.
Haven’t gone to the dealer on it.
Therapy may be in order. The creaks, rattles and clunks are something that just drive me crazy. I’m an old submarine nuke electrician and have have to listen for this or that on a running machine to diagnose if something is wrong to where any noise out of place is somewhere between slight annoyance and fight-or-flight for me. ?

I considered trying to never touch the door handles again... but getting in and having to launch the car after I back out of the driveway to get the doors to no-touch shut may freak out the neighbors.

Cabin filter is fine. Blower motor is clear. The noise occurs whether the blower is on or off.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haven’t gone to the dealer on it.
Therapy may be in order. The creaks, rattles and clunks are something that just drive me crazy.
Not the only one lol. Mine have gotten worse too. If I'm in a hyperaware state (AKA anxiety running rampant), I will focus on them until it gives me a headache.

I have the same rattles near the blower motor too. It's intermittent. Another one I have is a rattle near the A pillar as well as a clunk on certain bumps in the rear hatch area.

Habanero

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX. 2012 G25
Country flag
I have a similar noise coming from my left vent. It is kinda rare but distinct and it’s more of a flutter noise- not as loud and clicky as yours. I also assumed it was the ac but it does it when ac is off as well.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You guys need to turn your radio up. Zeffy, check for dead bodies in the back.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Sheesh. It reminded me of my grandmother's sewing machine and the old teletype machine at the radio station.

Is there some type of valve in the HVAC system (near the core) that would be operable regardless of the system being 'on'? That's the only thing I can think of back there that is mechanical other the air dampers/plenums (whatever they're called). Can you hear it through the dash vents?

+1 for the therapist.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sheesh. It reminded me of my grandmother's sewing machine and the old teletype machine at the radio station.

Is there some type of valve in the HVAC system (near the core) that would be operable regardless of the system being 'on'? That's the only thing I can think of back there that is mechanical other the air dampers/plenums (whatever they're called). Can you hear it through the dash vents?

+1 for the therapist.
You’ve got me. The bottom dash looks to disassemble kind of easy. I poured though old threads on CivicX for any other similar whiney-ness of a similar noise. There was mention of a heater core replacement from noise but it doesn’t sound flow-y to me. @Zeffy94 is the only one I’ve heard who’s man enough to whine like me I guess on the same sort of rattle. ? For real though.... it’s stupid loud. I can drown it out if I really crank the volume up a lot... but I’m more of a radio-off listen to the car kind of guy. It’s done it on and off over the last few months but seems to be getting worse as time goes on and it more on than off anymore

Hearing a bunch of Keebler elves trying to kick their way out of the dash is off-putting.
Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? 64E1E472-1909-4CA2-8F9A-D0409C4884D1

Last edited:

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Heh. Fuse #9 under the dash is listed as AIRCON. I assume that stops power to all the AC system controls and related electronic thingies. I guess there'd be nothing to lose by pulling it for troubleshooting porpoises.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Heh. Fuse #9 under the dash is listed as AIRCON. I assume that stops power to all the AC system controls and related electronic thingies. I guess there'd be nothing to lose by pulling it for troubleshooting porpoises.
A great suggestion. I’ll give it a try the next time I’m out at the car.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
All the rattle stories make me think that I probably have all of the above, but I just refuse to hear them, think about them and talk about them. And I don't. My mental state must be A++ excellent.:D

Honda Civic 10th gen What in the fresh hell is this in-dash rattle? ? 8BD3E037-81F5-4D84-8D52-E78E8E670277

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I love my car but I seem to find a new rattle daily somewhere. What's scary is they're usually worse in cold weather so I'm looking forward to even more annoyances this winter. But (there's always a but) I've learned to keep my stereo cranked. It's a good workaround.

The surprising thing is I had virtually no rattles in my Elantra GT or Forte SX. Go figure.

Purple Drink

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Subaru STI, 1965 El Camino
Country flag
Hmmmmm defiantly don't get engine mounts + catless exhaust then. Everything in my car rattles. And I have heard that blower noise too... but mine stoped.

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmmmmm defiantly don't get engine mounts + catless exhaust then. Everything in my car rattles. And I have heard that blower noise too... but mine stoped.
Yeah... I pondered the 27WON RMM for about 2 and a half moments before I figured I’d lose my mind. Vibration felt in the car doesn’t bother me though. My Z has a vibration through the car. It doesn’t have rattles though. Then again... my ‘15 Si didn’t really rattle and my RSXs didn’t either. This damn car though.
I love my car but I seem to find a new rattle daily somewhere. What's scary is they're usually worse in cold weather so I'm looking forward to even more annoyances this winter.
Its 90-95F most days here in GA and sometimes the car rattles so bad I think I’m going to blink and be sitting in the middle of the street in my seat holding a disconnected steering wheel wondering where the rest of the car went. It’s been getting progressively worse though I’ve touched up the easy spots (center console and A pillars) with felt and that’s been fine. The doors (admittedly easy to disassemble) and now, recently, under the dash are new ones. Roads in the south are reasonably smooth and not broke up to what I remember living in WA and NY. I can’t imagine what it’s be like in sub-zero winters I’m broken up roads to shake everything loose.

Oh well. I spent some money on some sound deadening, a fancy trim removal kit and some other stuff. I’ve never done any sound deadening and the Civic is easy to pull apart. Some other things... I haven’t ever done a Honda hack and a Viper4Android... I have a set of decent 6.5” speaks NIB I was going to put in the mother-in-laws Galant that I’ll have to check if they’re the right resistance but I picked to be sensitive enough to work off a head unit alone that I might toss in the doors when they’re apart and see if they make the OEM sound pop a little more.

If I don’t find another car that really hooks to me to replace the Si with... I think I’ll just cancel the preapproval and keep it. Otherwise, I guess I’ll play with the Odyssey with the sound deadening and speakers. I was going to redo it’s suspension this month while I had time anyways. I did win a flex fuel kit I need to give my address to to ship (should do that now that I’m thinking about it) I could add... but I think I’ll sit on it and just try the Phearable 1.5. A few bad data point on ethanol and no desire to replace the clutch in a car I’m still not solid on keeping.