Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
I got mine at Criswell Honda in Germantown Md for MSRP. It was priced with a $10,000 adm and I offered MSRP and he said come and get it. Patients and persistence...
I offered MSRP for 20' SGP at two dealers( Owings Mills and Jim Coleman) but they both refused to sell at MSRP. One wanted 10K ADM but manager says he can negotiate. He said that he had 20 years of car sale experience and never seen one sold at MSRP. I walked out right after. The other one wanted like 5k. Couple weeks later, they were both sold.

Then I drove down to Arlington for 20' CW and told 3K MSRP was the lowest they can go because in VA they only had 2 CWs total. I walked. It was sold a few days later.

I ended up buying from Fredericksburg and paid 2k MSRP. Not proud of it, but holy smoke, it is hard to find a good deal on CTR.:dunno:
A CBP one might be easier to find, but I really want a color that’s not black.
Sponsored

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I offered MSRP for 20' SGP at two dealers( Owings Mills and Jim Coleman) but they both refused to sell at MSRP. One wanted 10K ADM but manager says he can negotiate. He said that he had 20 years of car sale experience and never seen one sold at MSRP. I walked out right after. The other one wanted like 5k. Couple weeks later, they were both sold.

Then I drove down to Arlington for 20' CW and told 3K MSRP was the lowest they can go because in VA they only had 2 CWs total. I walked. It was sold a few days later.

I ended up buying from Fredericksburg and paid 2k MSRP. Not proud of it, but holy smoke, it is hard to find a good deal on CTR.:dunno:
2k isn’t horrible as that is near the break even on an out of area purchase ship and hassle factor.

fk8dc5s

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2003 DC5S 1994 CD5
Country flag

I did 2.5k over for a 2019 over here in SoCal Westmister Honda World back in August 2019 (only 15 min from my home). yea I feel bad for the overpay like you, but as they say sometimes you gotta pay to play. some folks get lucky but here in SoCal you must be the 1% or just know inside people. I didn't wanna deal with the search and ship (country wise) and felt that this ADM vs the original 6K they were asking for was BAD but not HORRIBLE. every other dealer wanted more. besides that I wanted Aegean Blue and not Boost Blue (hence getting a 19). I knew that would be waaaay overpriced for BB (besides some lucky folk). besides that it was all the added useless "features." they would add to 2020s. (besides rotors and front grill/radiator) (my opinion of course)

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
At the end of the day do what makes you happy.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
There's always the option to wrap it at that color. Not only would you have your color, but it would protect the original color underneath the wrap. Rewrap it again for the next color of the year's choice (whatever that might be next year).
Waste of money.

Tbreezyfk8

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BB FK8; 2018 Civic Si HFP (Sold); 21 Mercedes A-Class
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did 2.5k over for a 2019 over here in SoCal Westmister Honda World back in August 2019 (only 15 min from my home). yea I feel bad for the overpay like you, but as they say sometimes you gotta pay to play. some folks get lucky but here in SoCal you must be the 1% or just know inside people. I didn't wanna deal with the search and ship (country wise) and felt that this ADM vs the original 6K they were asking for was BAD but not HORRIBLE. every other dealer wanted more. besides that I wanted Aegean Blue and not Boost Blue (hence getting a 19). I knew that would be waaaay overpriced for BB (besides some lucky folk). besides that it was all the added useless "features." they would add to 2020s. (besides rotors and front grill/radiator) (my opinion of course)
2.5k over on a 19 wasn't a good deal

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I myself would have not gotten a Type-R if I did not get it for MSRP, the price I wanted. Most of the cars I got were below MSRP. A depreciating product is already bad enough. Add on top of that the cost of financing, insurance, maintenance, repairs, mods... you got to do some mods right? On top of all that you pay for add-ons and so called market adjustment. We do it because we justify it in our heads to feed our wants in life. It only becomes a problem when reality checks in and you figured later you can’t really afford this in your life because it halts you temporarily from growing your goal (if you have one) to be financially secure. Paying more for a car more than its worth happens because we let our emotions dictate over common sense.
Non of what I am saying here is a bad thing. People sometimes need to go through the experience before they learn from, sometimes over and over. And like what we say, as long as you are happy your good. But are you? I’m just hoping someone will read this and think twice over and over before they make that step. Plenty of choices!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We do it because we justify it in our heads to feed our wants in life. It only becomes a problem when reality checks in and you figured later you can’t really afford this in your life because it halts you temporarily from growing your goal (if you have one) to be financially secure. Paying more for a car more than its worth happens because we let our emotions dictate over common sense.

...But are you? I’m just hoping someone will read this and think twice over and over before they make that step. Plenty of choices!
So much this. Remember that you still need to add insurance, taxes, if you have negative value on your trade-in, etc. to the price. I thought it wasn't a lot until I actually did it. 2 years later I realize how much money it really does cost. At the dealer when I was buying I let my emotions control me. When I started to have increased expenses I realized how much less I was saving compared to prior.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
youv've got to travel bro. can't succumb to giving a dealer free money for a vehicle booked for less.
No traveling here or transporting.

ultrashin

First Name
NOH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
So much this. Remember that you still need to add insurance, taxes, if you have negative value on your trade-in, etc. to the price. I thought it wasn't a lot until I actually did it. 2 years later I realize how much money it really does cost. At the dealer when I was buying I let my emotions control me. When I started to have increased expenses I realized how much less I was saving compared to prior.

I always look at OTD cost instead of vehicle price when buying cars. Also you should not trade-in before you consider private party or other car buying businesses. Based on my experience, dealerships almost always low ball your trade.

Also Ideally people need to pay off cars within 3 years. This way they are less likely to be upside down. I paid off my first car in 6 months under 3 year loan. Paying off early allows people to build credit while minimizing interest payment.

izzyC-EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' BBP Type-R/20'MX-5, Recaro, Brembo, Bose/19' GLC63 Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always look at OTD cost instead of vehicle price when buying cars. Also you should not trade-in before you consider private party or other car buying businesses. Based on my experience, dealerships almost always low ball your trade.

Also Ideally people need to pay off cars within 3 years. This way they are less likely to be upside down. I paid off my first car in 6 months under 3 year loan. Paying off early allows people to build credit while minimizing interest payment.
I think you should look at everything. Just because you can afford your OTD you might still have areas where you can save money on. Paying a car off is great to save on interest from financing it. Just make sure you have enough of at least 6 months of monthly expenses for emergency. Because that money you put in the car for paying cash that’s ticking away from depreciation.
Sponsored