Is Hondata worth buying for a daily driver?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't even know why you have the ability to fool with it in the first place. They should lock that out
If you have a built engine and want to get good drag times, it’s probably an easy way to rid of turbo lag entirely. Otherwise, you probably don’t want to touch it. But that’s really the point of jail breaking/rooting, to give the user access to everything. This control does allow you to really mess things up though. With great power comes great responsibility.
Sponsored

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm on the edge also with the OP since I have a 2020 and I have to send my ECU to them which sucks. I'm going to wait til they can "jailbreak" it like the 2017-19 which is done over the net or something. But definitely will get it in the future.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I literally have a hondata sitting in my house, waiting for me to install. I was going to go DP route, but i got a catback and think i may just stick with this. Thankfully I do have 93 available, I just dont trust the car/motor yet to start modifying. I was debating on doing it soon, but Idk what to do. I know im going to LOVE my car on hondata, even more so than I already do. But im worried about something happening while im under warranty and me getting stuck with the bill.

ToofHurts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
haha. I'm not too worried about problems. The K motor is pretty robust. I'm must worried about hearing it for the rest of my life from my wife!

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I don’t think that it such a huge necessity for type R, for SI it's an absolute must.
I'd say do it when you will get bored with your car. I'm usually switching between Pherable and TSP and it's like driving 2 different cars ?

princeRS

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
kind of off topic but do certain year type R ecu’s work / adapt better to Hondata than others?

Deleted member 25522

haha. I'm not too worried about problems. The K motor is pretty robust. I'm must worried about hearing it for the rest of my life from my wife!
Flash it when she's not around. Once you do it you will regret not doing it sooner! And, in the end it may save money as you might not want any other mods. More money for the wife then?

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
kind of off topic but do certain year type R ecu’s work / adapt better to Hondata than others?
If i am not mistaken, all type r's will work the same EXCEPT for 2020. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Hondata is currently working on support for the 2020 MY.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If i am not mistaken, all type r's will work the same EXCEPT for 2020. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Hondata is currently working on support for the 2020 MY.
2020 is supported already. You just have to send in the ecu to get it jailbroken and can't do the instant jailbreak yet like you can on other years

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
I daily drive my car on Hondata lol. I thinks its awesome. Just keep the car tuned to your taste and leave it be. Once it's done, it's your choice on when to unload all the power you can. So yes, totally worth it

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
How truly reliable is the motor with the tune on it? I understand that either way having hondata, either under warranty or not, that if something happens im responsible, but im nervous to install. Got a random cel the other day for a very small evap leak. like WTF.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
How truly reliable is the motor with the tune on it? I understand that either way having hondata, either under warranty or not, that if something happens im responsible, but im nervous to install. Got a random cel the other day for a very small evap leak. like WTF.
The motor is pretty reliable. The only people I’ve heard that blew their motor in a base tune are those that played with anti lag.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The motor is pretty reliable. The only people I’ve heard that blew their motor in a base tune are those that played with anti lag.
Which i have read enough to know not to fuck around with it. Besides, I played enough with anti lag in my sti. I dont need that anymore.

CTRKC

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mitsubishi EVO
Country flag
FlashPro is worth every penny! I've had the basemap installed for a month now and it's like a new car. The mid-range punch is strong! And the traction control alone is worth it. Now I'm ready for flex fuel!
Sponsored