Waiting List for 2017 Civic Type R

ZiaPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 1999 Civic EX
Hi All,

How do you think dealers will track and fulfill Type R orders? Will there be an online list where you can sign up to indicate your desire to purchase or will it be different from dealer to dealer? I don't have any prior experience with limited edition cars but I know some other manufacturers have online wait lists for new, limited edition or high demand models.

Does anyone have previous experience with this? Unfortunately, I was in high school when the Integra Type R was sold here, how was that handled? How about the EM1 Civic Si? I hope it is more organized than showing up at a dealer and hoping they "put you on the list"... Any thoughts?
Sponsored

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Former: 2004 Mustang V6, 2008 Civic LX)
Not sure how it works, but I'm pretty curious myself!

pr0file

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic EX, 08 ZX6-R
Country flag
Talked to a local dealership and the salesman said they have a wait list for the Type R. To get on that list you have to put down a $1k deposit to secure your spot. I'm located in the SF Bay Area.

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Hi All,

How do you think dealers will track and fulfill Type R orders? Will there be an online list where you can sign up to indicate your desire to purchase or will it be different from dealer to dealer? I don't have any prior experience with limited edition cars but I know some other manufacturers have online wait lists for new, limited edition or high demand models.

Does anyone have previous experience with this? Unfortunately, I was in high school when the Integra Type R was sold here, how was that handled? How about the EM1 Civic Si? I hope it is more organized than showing up at a dealer and hoping they "put you on the list"... Any thoughts?
Ah I like the Type R talk already! :)

Deposits will be placed with each individual dealers and you are then #XX on that dealer's waitlist. I'm sure Honda North America won't be taking deposits directly, nor tracking deposits.

The unknown is how Type R units will be allocated to each dealership by Honda NA. If I had to guess, I'd bet that the best performing dealerships will receive more Type R units to sell than worse performing ones.

Once the dealer with which you have a deposit (and are on a waitlist) gets its Type R's, it'll start selling them to its customers based on their place on the dealer's waitlist.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
Talked to a local dealership and the salesman said they have a wait list for the Type R. To get on that list you have to put down a $1k deposit to secure your spot. I'm located in the SF Bay Area.
Did they say how many are already on their list? If anyone decides to get on a list with a deposit, just remember to make sure it's a refundable deposit.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
When I worked for an Acura dealer years ago, there was a gentleman that put a $5k deposit on the new NSX. This was in 2009. He wanted to make sure he was the first to get it. My store's owner also owns an Acura store and shared that Ohio will build a max of 800 NSXs a year. The top performing dealers will get about 3-4 a year and those who want to sell have to be certified for it and have the proper instruments to service it. This was similar to what Nissan did when the GT-R finally hit America.

That being said, I do expect the Type R to be also produced in relatively small numbers. As much as we all have dreamed of a Civic Type R, the reality is that the greater majority who want it probably do not, will not, spend $35k for it. I mean, even now I read so many readers complain about not paying $27k for a Touring because its just a Civic. The Type R as well is still just a Civic.

This is not a guess, but I would be surprised if more than 2,000 units a year were produced. I think the majority of Honda fans will just stick with an Si, especially if it receives a bump in HP close to 240-250. It the Si stays at around 200HP, maybe not.

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bit discouraging to hear, but it makes sense. I know before SRT folded back into Dodge, dealers had to be certified etc. as you're saying to sell Vipers. Even before and after that era, I imagine it's a similar process.

Personally, the price point wouldn't be my turn-off regarding the Type R; it'd be the body style. Having seen the prototype photos and renders, it's not bad for a hatch, but it's still a hatch. I simply prefer the aesthetics and styling of a coupe.

In general, when on a wait list, putting down that deposit, etc., does that mean you're just buying whatever example happens to hit that particular dealer, or is there any care or regard toward things like colors and options? I can understand sacrificing a bit due to limited availability, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a setup that I wouldn't be happy with.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
A bit discouraging to hear, but it makes sense. I know before SRT folded back into Dodge, dealers had to be certified etc. as you're saying to sell Vipers. Even before and after that era, I imagine it's a similar process.

Personally, the price point wouldn't be my turn-off regarding the Type R; it'd be the body style. Having seen the prototype photos and renders, it's not bad for a hatch, but it's still a hatch. I simply prefer the aesthetics and styling of a coupe.

In general, when on a wait list, putting down that deposit, etc., does that mean you're just buying whatever example happens to hit that particular dealer, or is there any care or regard toward things like colors and options? I can understand sacrificing a bit due to limited availability, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with a setup that I wouldn't be happy with.
It means that once a dealer has their initial allocation, meaning the first shipment of cars, you would have the first pic of the litter. Unless you requested a specific color or trim, which in that case would be reserved under your name, even before its built (part of their On-Order list).

BigBang09

nsbryant09
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It means that once a dealer has their initial allocation, meaning the first shipment of cars, you would have the first pic of the litter. Unless you requested a specific color or trim, which in that case would be reserved under your name, even before its built (part of their On-Order list).
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

pr0file

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic EX, 08 ZX6-R
Country flag
Did they say how many are already on their list? If anyone decides to get on a list with a deposit, just remember to make sure it's a refundable deposit.
He said there were 3 people that put down deposits and he was one of them. And he said the deposit was non-refundable :(

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
He said there were 3 people that put down deposits and he was one of them. And he said the deposit was non-refundable :(
If you sign a special order form or the Buyer's Order specifies it, yes, it can be non-refundable.

But this is not a negative really. If you are putting a deposit on a car, I would assume that you are sure that this is the car you want in the first place.

10thG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Looks like you're in California. Our state is very pro-consumer and from what I remember, our state's law says a deposit on a conditional sales contract is always refundable, unless a waiver has been signed. So either he's s**tting you or he requires his customers to waive the right to a refund in order to get on his list. :thumbsdown:

pr0file

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Civic EX, 08 ZX6-R
Country flag
If you sign a special order form or the Buyer's Order specifies it, yes, it can be non-refundable.

But this is not a negative really. If you are putting a deposit on a car, I would assume that you are sure that this is the car you want in the first place.
Not entirely sure about getting the Type R, just yet, gotta drive one or view/read more reviews after it gets released into the wild. The latter will be easier than the former! haha!
Looks like you're in California. Our state is very pro-consumer and from what I remember, our state's law says a deposit on a conditional sales contract is always refundable, unless a waiver has been signed. So either he's s**tting you or he requires his customers to waive the right to a refund in order to get on his list. :thumbsdown:
Thanks for the info! Now to wait for the Type R! :cry:

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
When I worked for an Acura dealer years ago, there was a gentleman that put a $5k deposit on the new NSX. This was in 2009. He wanted to make sure he was the first to get it. My store's owner also owns an Acura store and shared that Ohio will build a max of 800 NSXs a year. The top performing dealers will get about 3-4 a year and those who want to sell have to be certified for it and have the proper instruments to service it. This was similar to what Nissan did when the GT-R finally hit America.

That being said, I do expect the Type R to be also produced in relatively small numbers. As much as we all have dreamed of a Civic Type R, the reality is that the greater majority who want it probably do not, will not, spend $35k for it. I mean, even now I read so many readers complain about not paying $27k for a Touring because its just a Civic. The Type R as well is still just a Civic.

This is not a guess, but I would be surprised if more than 2,000 units a year were produced. I think the majority of Honda fans will just stick with an Si, especially if it receives a bump in HP close to 240-250. It the Si stays at around 200HP, maybe not.
2K a year? Wow that would be incredibly low. I haven't seen any published numbers for the Si or Type R take rate. @HondaGeek would you happen to know what the breakdown has been historically?

I've always been curious how many Si's are sold in the U.S. each year and Type R's overseas.

On-topic, I would never put down a non-refundable deposit especially on a car so far away from actual production. So much can happen in that time even if you are sure right now you want one.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
2K a year? Wow that would be incredibly low. I haven't seen any published numbers for the Si or Type R take rate. @HondaGeek would you happen to know what the breakdown has been historically?

I've always been curious how many Si's are sold in the U.S. each year and Type R's overseas.

On-topic, I would never put down a non-refundable deposit especially on a car so far away from actual production. So much can happen in that time even if you are sure right now you want one.

Not sure about the Si, since Honda reports Civic sales as one number, which includes all the different trims. That being said, why I say no more than 2,000 Type Rs a year has to do with previous sales of the Integra Type R and Mugen Si. Let's take a look:

Integra Type R Sales
1997 = 318
1998 = 1023
2000 = 1347
2001 = 1157

Mugen Si
2008 = 1000

The reality is this, while many Honda fans would love to own a Type R, the majority (not all) fall into two camps. Camp A: cannot afford a $30k + vehicle. Camp B: will not spend $30k + on a Civic when you are a close to entry luxury cars.

I had a Mugen Si and while demand was high for the first 4-6 months, due to limited production and availability, I know some dealers outside of major cities who had their sole Mugen Si well into late 2009. Unless you are a diehard Honda fan with the means, a $30k Civic is a hard sale in America, where you have Mustangs, Camaros, etc, as options. Even Japan is only getting 750 of the current Type R, in a country where the medium income per household is much higher than America.

It's an educated guess, but I feel that year two will yield a 2,000 max production, with it slowly scaling down from there.
Sponsored