First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Brought it to the dealer over this noise. Showed them this video.

they kept the car all weekend. Three techs heard it and said "normal for this engine- fuel pump noise"

This is the only car Honda uses this engine for, and I don believe any grinding is "normal" on a brand new car, especially considering they are FINALLY acknowledging the VTC Actuator noise on the 2012-2015 Si- which sounds identical to this.
I've never had a "normal" new car sound make me cringe that the people nearby don't hear it. Even though its sporadic, it does slightly mar an otherwise nearly flawless car...
Sponsored

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
For now Honda consider the noise is normal, but I think they will have a fix in the future. I hope that when they do, they will fix it free of charge.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring WOP, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

they kept the car all weekend. Three techs heard it and said "normal for this engine- fuel pump noise"

This is the only car Honda uses this engine for, and I don believe any grinding is "normal" on a brand new car, especially considering they are FINALLY acknowledging the VTC Actuator noise on the 2012-2015 Si- which sounds identical to this.
That's the same noise that all of us are having...and it's NOT normal. Fuel pump noise??? The fallen and bumped their heads!

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
According to @HoNDA pARTS gUY_GA, there's a redesign on the VTC actuator for the Accord and CRV, so this is definitely not normal.

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ex-L
Country flag
I was trying to see where the fuel pump is located at and it seems like this is around the fuel tank. If this is so then we can just see if the noise is coming from there. Unless I am wrong about its location. What do you all think guys? As I am recalling right now I thought the noise is coming from the front and not the back. Did the mechanics mean some kind of regulator in the engine bay related to the pump system?

The mechanics that saw Powel's car said coincidentally that the noise came from the "high pressure fuel pump area". So now we have two different dealerships saying the same thing. I am actually feeling a little bit of a relief if this is correct. But where is this area that is being referred to?

Last edited:

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I was trying to see where the fuel pump is located at and it seems like this is around the fuel tank. If this is so then we can just see if the noise is coming from there. Unless I am wrong about its location. What do you all think guys? As I am recalling right now I thought the noise is coming from the front and not the back. Did the mechanics mean some kind of regulator in the engine bay related to the pump system?

The mechanics that saw Powel's car said coincidentally that the noise came from the "high pressure fuel pump area". So now we have two different dealerships saying the same thing. I am actually feeling a little bit of a relief if this is correct. But where is this area that is being referred to?
The high pressure fuel pump is located on top right side of the engine. This issue has nothing to do with the fuel pump, I am 99.9% sure it's coming from the VTC actuator.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Heyo. Mine is doing the grind on cold starts as well, but a little more staccato like...and it seems to only make the noise when the starter is turning. I dunno, I'm getting pretty fed up with all this nonsense. Honda must have in their minds that all their customers are idiots and will settle for whatever bullshit they try to feed the customer. My transmission has started the surging/jerkiness as well. I've had this car at the dealer 10 times. That's right, 10. I put over 70k miles on my 2011 Civic and other than maintenance, it was at the dealer once for something and it was my fault. So yeah.
You should take your car in to have that TSB update regarding the CVT surging. Mine's been smooth after I had the update done! Good luck buddy.

Dretlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when I get back to work on tuesday I will post both the accord and crc responses on Hondas end. it describes whats going on with their grinding noises. it also states that replacing the vtc actuator will not fix the problem as someone mentioned earlier.

they are working on a redesigned vtc actuator and expect to have an update by the fall.

will post updates on Tuesday.
Have you heard if Honda is doing anything about our CVT actuator? Thanks!

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
The high pressure fuel pump is located on top right side of the engine. This issue has nothing to do with the fuel pump, I am 99.9% sure it's coming from the VTC actuator.
So am I. My 2013 Si sedan made this same grinding/rattling at start up when it was very cold out. Same sound. I'd actually argue the 2016 is louder and longer. And it only happens when it's sitting in the sun for a few hours- it never does it when it's been in my garage or the first start of the day.

I'm calling BS- has anyone ever heard of a brand new car grinding at start up as being "normal"?

ltmikepowell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Accord Sedan LX V6, 12 Civic Sedan LX, 14 Accord Sedan LX, 16 Civic Sedan EX-L w Sensing
Country flag
The thing is that if my car make different noise, then the dealer that I went to should not be able to replicate the same noise on another Civic 1.5T sitting on their lot. So I just hope that some fix will be available soon. Also, seem like 2.0 engine does not suffer from this noise, since it also have VTC actuator (unless Honda fix it on K series engine, yet let it happened on L series engine)

snail415

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T Sedan, 2007 Accord LX V6
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I picked my EX-T up last Friday from Williamsburg Honda. They were unable to replicate the noise after a variety of attempts at different intervals.
They assured me (and showed me) everything is documented and provided to AHM. Good enough for me (for now).

BL from me- Drive it easy and take care of your car to the best of your ability.
If previous postings regarding a formal acknowledgement from Honda later this year are accurate, then we should be taken care of.

joserevelo

J Revelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Vehicle Showcase
i tried not to complain to much on the forum but wtf man this noise is driving me batshit crazy.. run inside target for less then 30 minutes and it grinds beyond loud for a second.... friends i was with all asked me why the f does it sound like that :banghead::banghead::what:

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

We have a '12 Si and it started to occasionally make a sound very similar to yours this past winter for the first time @ about 47,000 miles. To my knowledge all HONDA/Acura VTC issues are cold first starts (mine was after sitting overnight below 20 degrees F) and thought to be oil bleeddown/starvation to the VTC (not the engine rods & bearings). It has never happened when warmer or when the car has been started within the last few hours even at 14 below. Until Honda Engineering responds it's likely just what they say - normal for the 1.5T. To date I'm only aware of one failure involving a 9th generation Si VTC cam - and it was catastrophic.

sumii0626

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L White
Strange start up sound noticed today for me too. I was saying bye to my friend tonight and started up my car to go home when she came back and notified me to roll down the window to tell me my engine made a really abnormal sound. I tried turning it on and off 2 or 3 times but it didn't happen again. I have a Civic Coupe EX-L, don't know if that makes any difference rofl.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Strange start up sound noticed today for me too. I was saying bye to my friend tonight and started up my car to go home when she came back and notified me to roll down the window to tell me my engine made a really abnormal sound. I tried turning it on and off 2 or 3 times but it didn't happen again. I have a Civic Coupe EX-L, don't know if that makes any difference rofl.
Yep, classic trait, you were probably there for an hour or two I guess? And once you start it again right after, it won't make the noise again until you let it sit for 30mins-3hrs or more. Sorry your car is effected too :(
Sponsored