Does anyone have experience with upgrading to Acuity on a Sport Hatch 2018?

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 "Clifford" Civic Hatch Sport 6MT, 2015 Civic EX 5MT
Country flag
Hi guys, hope y'alls having a great week and looking forward to a great weekend!

I've been lurking posts about getting better shifter feel in my 2018 Civic Hatch Sport. I currently have a 300g shift knob and the rest is stock. I've felt my cousins' BRZ shifter and it feels much more "alive" and mechanical than my shifter does. My shifter feels like an arcade toy or the shifter you buy with a Logitech racing wheel. It's awful driving it around. I just got finished with some new Amsoil MTF and wanted to continue working on shifter upgrades.

I was looking at people installing a Type R Shifter assembly & Acuity base bushings, shifting bushings, rocker arm and centering spring. I wanted to get some opinions from those who have done it in with the base civic shifter and compare the difference that it made. I'm hoping to get something like this: .

Any opinions and thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored

OP
OP
GreaseCrow

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the "toy" feeling you mention is a natural result of our cable shifted transmission and I don't think you can fully change that. However I have the pre-2020 type R shifter assembly and all acuity bushings + centering spring, it feels much more mechanical unlike the vagueness of the stock setup. Other factors to shifting feel while driving are my 27won rmm and amsoil tranny fluid.
I see. Thanks for the explanation. If you don't mind explaining, how does the rear motor mount increase mechanical shifter feel? I was told a good compromise would be the Perrin RMM Insert.

Other than that I'm considering either the Type R shifter assembly (and all the acuity goodies) or the acuity short shifter stage 3 kit.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't have the CTR shift assembly but I have all the ACUITY goodies on my stock shifter (short throw adapter, base bushings, rocker arm, centering spring). I love it, makes the whole shifting experience a lot better. If I could do it over again though I would have bought the fully adjustable shifter from them. While you're in there you may want to look into the shifter cable lockdown to help remove any play in the shift cables.

OP
OP
GreaseCrow

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't have the CTR shift assembly but I have all the ACUITY goodies on my stock shifter (short throw adapter, base bushings, rocker arm, centering spring). I love it, makes the whole shifting experience a lot better. If I could do it over again though I would have bought the fully adjustable shifter from them. While you're in there you may want to look into the shifter cable lockdown to help remove any play in the shift cables.
I see, yeah I was thinking the same thing. I kinda went "cheaped out" on some of my mods like my shift knob and I already regret it, so I rather just save up to get what I want one and done. Thanks for your input! I'm excited to get a their adjustable kit!

Sorry that might have been a bit misleading, it just feels nicer to shift with the rmm because going on/off both gas and clutch feels much more direct. The most dramatic difference is the 1-2 shift

That really depends on your budget since the type R setup is way cheaper
I see, I'll def. consider it since it's only $30 to get it done. Only issue is it looks a bit difficult for my skill level lol. Thanks for the input!

Dirt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6-Spd Manual
I have the full acuity shifter in my sport hatch. Love how it feels. Buy it if you have the funds or get the hybrid racing since its a little cheaper compared to acuity. I dont know about the different stages since I didnt go that route before buying the full assembly.

OP
OP
GreaseCrow

GreaseCrow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the full acuity shifter in my sport hatch. Love how it feels. Buy it if you have the funds or get the hybrid racing since its a little cheaper compared to acuity. I dont know about the different stages since I didnt go that route before buying the full assembly.
Thanks for the reply! If you were to compare it to stock, how does it feel different?
Sponsored