Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R?

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I spoke to an installer today and he told me the bypass didn't mean we would have to amplify every channel. For example, he could leave the center channel on the factory amp for navigation for example.

If that's the case, I'm definitely getting this once it is back in stock. I just need to figure out whether sonic electronix will charge me or not while it is still backordered, or if they will only charge me once it ships.
So you're saying you need to keep the factory amp?
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I spoke to an installer today and he told me the bypass didn't mean we would have to amplify every channel. For example, he could leave the center channel on the factory amp for navigation for example.

If that's the case, I'm definitely getting this once it is back in stock. I just need to figure out whether sonic electronix will charge me or not while it is still backordered, or if they will only charge me once it ships.
I don't think that's possible. It might be possible?

The Axxess interface takes the signal and optical wires away from the OEM Amp. Unless you can split the signaling wires to the OEM amp and the amp will still function without the optical.

But then you wouldn't get center fill from music. Maybe it sounds better without it, maybe it sounds worse.

You can definitely consolidate the woofer and tweeter on each of the 4 main channels to only require amplifying 6 channels, and using the component connections and crossovers for your woofer/tweeter pairs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

bernardos70

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Does this DPS have independent left/right EQ?
From what the documentation says you can EQ every single channel separately.
But I do suggest you guys take a look at the instructions manual found here: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSPX-HN3
You might catch something I've missed.

So you're saying you need to keep the factory amp?
Not needed, but if you want to keep it, you can apparently.

I don't think that's possible. It might be possible?

The Axxess interface takes the signal and optical wires away from the OEM Amp. Unless you can split the signaling wires to the OEM amp and the amp will still function without the optical.

But then you wouldn't get center fill from music. Maybe it sounds better without it, maybe it sounds worse.

You can definitely consolidate the woofer and tweeter on each of the 4 main channels to only require amplifying 6 channels, and using the component connections and crossovers for your woofer/tweeter pairs.
I hope I'm reading this diagram correctly, but it looks like you could keep it?

I'm not exactly looking for a center channel fill, but I'll ask him when I actually have all the stuff to install. If it's possible, great, if not, that's fine too, I'll just disable the virtualization.
Honda Civic 10th gen Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R? Screenshot_20200731-195124_Drive

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
From what the documentation says you can EQ every single channel separately.
But I do suggest you guys take a look at the instructions manual found here: https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSPX-HN3
You might catch something I've missed.

Not needed, but if you want to keep it, you can apparently.

I hope I'm reading this diagram correctly, but it looks like you could keep it?

I'm not exactly looking for a center channel fill, but I'll ask him when I actually have all the stuff to install. If it's possible, great, if not, that's fine too, I'll just disable the virtualization.
Screenshot_20200731-195124_Drive.png
I have no idea what the congruent wavy lines mean, but the diagram appears to me to indicate instead of plugging those OEM plugs into the factory amp, you plug them into the amp bypass harness/interface instead.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
So you're doing the install yourself? Where is this sold? I can't find it anywhere. Not on Crutchfield.

OP
OP

bernardos70

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have no idea what the congruent wavy lines mean, but the diagram appears to me to indicate instead of plugging those OEM plugs into the factory amp, you plug them into the amp bypass harness/interface instead.
Maybe it's optimistic thinking (and partially listening to the installer, as he did sound like he knew what he was talking about.... I really do have to get a hold of metra).
So you're doing the install yourself? Where is this sold? I can't find it anywhere. Not on Crutchfield.
Hell no, I'm terrible with this stuff. I'm having it done professionally.

I found it on Sonic Electronix:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_180641_Axxess-AXDSPX-HN3.html
But it is backordered

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Maybe it's optimistic thinking (and partially listening to the installer, as he did sound like he knew what he was talking about.... I really do have to get a hold of metra).
I am willing to bet that because this is such a new product that the installer has never installed it before.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
The amps are installed under the passenger seat. I used speedwire to interface to the speaker wires from the amps to the DSP harness. Each channel has 31 bands of EQ. Even the sub channel. This solution completely bypasses the factory amp. In fact you can’t use the factory amp with it. The output from the head unit is digital stereo left and right. All output channels, crossovers, EQing, phasesing, and any time alignment is done from the factory amp. And as you know what’s programmed in the factory amp is garbage to sound quality to preserve the cheaply made speakers. With this DSP solution all of that is removed and you can completely set all of your own EQing, time alignment, level matching and crossover points. My video should answer a lot of questions soon.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Are you sure this thing actually replaces the factory amp? Like, you can remove the factory amp from the car and put the DSPX HN3 in its place? Last time I read the instructions, it read like you still need to keep the factory amp in the system.
Of course I’m sure as I have done such.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
I read it too but their spec lists 6 analog inputs channels of high/low levels and no SPDIF input. That kinda sounds like you still need to keep the factory amp. Anyone has this can chime in?

1596225556738.png

EDIT: Their youtube video does say the amp does not need to be retained. So maybe they just didn't update their spec.
Yeah that doesn’t make sense. Maybe it’s referring to the non Touring systems which don’t incorporate a digital input.
For Touring systems it’s 2 channels input digital and 10 channels output. I’m only using 8 with the factory rear tweeters eliminated.

Last edited:

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
I will also add that this DSP covers several Honda vehicles and you are able to select your vehicle in the setup. That’s how it knows what types of channels your dealing with. Analog or digital and how to handle those channels in your system. I don’t know about the other vehicles in the 2018 and beyond lines but I know that the Touring Accord/Civic/Insight vehicles have the same type of digital out from the head unit systems.

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag

That won’t be possible as a plug and play solution as the digital output from the head unit plugs directly into the DSP. You will either need to use an amp that supports the number of channels you want to retain or you need more then one amp.

OP
OP

bernardos70

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you, vblue42, those were amazing answers. I think that pretty much covers it!

Which amps did you use?