Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R?

vblue42

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Insight
Country flag
Alright an update:

The principle issue I was having was channel cutout at random times. But that appears to be related to an older firmware. I updated the firmware and haven’t had any issues since. And the HN3 system does include a bass knob for those that are wondering. The equipment is as follows:

Front:
Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777TKXVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nNejFbS9P25ZM
There must have been a new guy in the warehouse that day because I actually ordered and paid for the D65C series. Don’t know why they sent me a $100 upgrade for free but I’m not complaining either.

Rear:
Pioneer TS-D65F D Series 6-1/2" 2-Way car Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777SKV7D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6XejFbMDFENGS

Amps 2X:
Soundstream ST4.10000D Compact 4-Channel Car Amplifier 90WX4 - ST4.1000D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6ON4EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZYejFbCJK0EJ2

Sub:
Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z3R582?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Center:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CERWIN-VE...-Coaxial-Speakers-3-5-250-Watts-max/876586071

The rear tweeters are no longer being utilized in the system so that channel has been eliminated. There is much improvement in the system now that all channels are in the proper phase, much better components are being used, and time alignment and proper EQing is present. I will be uploading a video of the EQing process I am using soon and will link it here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Alright an update:

The principle issue I was having was channel cutout at random times. But that appears to be related to an older firmware. I updated the FireWire and haven’t had any issues since. And the HN3 system does include a bass knob for those that are wondering. The equipment is as follows:

Front:
Pioneer TS-Z65C 6.5" Component Speaker System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777TKXVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nNejFbS9P25ZM
There must have been a new guy in the warehouse that day because I actually ordered and paid for the D65C series. Don’t why they sent me a $100 upgrade for free but I’m not complaining either.

Rear:
Pioneer TS-D65F D Series 6-1/2" 2-Way car Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777SKV7D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6XejFbMDFENGS

Amps 2X:
Soundstream ST4.10000D Compact 4-Channel Car Amplifier 90WX4 - ST4.1000D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6ON4EO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZYejFbCJK0EJ2

Sub:
Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z3R582?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Center:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CERWIN-VE...-Coaxial-Speakers-3-5-250-Watts-max/876586071

The rear tweeters are no longer being utilized in the system so that channel has been eliminated. There is much improvement in the system now that all channels are in the proper phase, much breed components are being used, and time alignment and proper EQing is present. I will be uploading a video of the EQing process I am using soon and will link it here.
Where did you install the amps, and how big of a hassle was it to run the wires from the amps to the amp bypass harness to use the OEM speaker wires?

Care to share some photos of your amp installation?

Those amps are the ones I was eyeballing for mine, at least for the front tweeters, rear tweeters and woofers, and center. I was thinking about getting one higher power 4 channel amp to drive the front woofers and bridge the other two channels for the sub.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Are you sure this thing actually replaces the factory amp? Like, you can remove the factory amp from the car and put the DSPX HN3 in its place? Last time I read the instructions, it read like you still need to keep the factory amp in the system.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Are you sure this thing actually replaces the factory amp? Like, you can remove the factory amp from the car and put the DSPX HN3 in its place? Last time I read the instructions, it read like you still need to keep the factory amp in the system.
Honda Civic 10th gen Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R? 1596224480252

I've seen it worded in other documentation for the interface as "No need to retain the OEM amplifier", but in reality you cannot retain the OEM amplifier. All connections in the vehicle that go to the OEM DSP/Amp plug directly into the interface instead.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1596224480252.png

I've seen it worded in other documentation for the interface as "No need to retain the OEM amplifier", but in reality you cannot retain the OEM amplifier. All connections in the vehicle that go to the OEM DSP/Amp plug directly into the interface instead.
I read it too but their spec lists 6 analog inputs channels of high/low levels and no SPDIF input. That kinda sounds like you still need to keep the factory amp. Anyone has this can chime in?

Honda Civic 10th gen Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R? 1596225556738

EDIT: Their youtube video does say the amp does not need to be retained. So maybe they just didn't update their spec.

Last edited:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I read it too but their spec lists 6 analog inputs channels of high/low levels and no SPDIF input. That kinda sounds like you still need to keep the factory amp. Anyone has this can chime in?

1596225556738.png

EDIT: Their youtube video does say the amp does not need to be retained. So maybe they just didn't update their spec.
The six input channels are what the head unit outputs - FR, FL, RR, RL, Center, and Sub. The factory amp uses the FR to drive both FR woofer and FR tweeter, same for the rears which is how it generates the 10 amplified channels.

This is how the head unit offers subwoofer and fade/balance controls and why the Axxess interface maintains them - It uses all of the headunit generated channels.

I'm sure @vblue42 can chime in to confirm.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The six input channels are what the head unit outputs - FR, FL, RR, RL, Center, and Sub. The factory amp uses the FR to drive both FR woofer and FR tweeter, same for the rears which is how it generates the 10 amplified channels.

This is how the head unit offers subwoofer and fade/balance controls and why the Axxess interface maintains them - It uses all of the headunit generated channels.

I'm sure @vblue42 can chime in to confirm.
That's not how I understood it. The head unit does not output 6 analog channels. The head outputs one single SPDIF that encodes two channels of music and one (or perhaps two with the 20 Si with ASC) analog sound that's the beeps and navigation voices. The factory amp demuxs the two-channel SPDIF and the analog channel into 10 channels.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
My guess is that the SPDIF has 6 channels multiplexed together, FR, FL, RR, RL, Front and Back. The amp probably separates tweeter and woofer bands, and creates an extra subwoofer output.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My guess is that the SPDIF has 6 channels multiplexed together, FR, FL, RR, RL, Front and Back. The amp probably separates tweeter and woofer bands, and creates an extra subwoofer output.
I doubt it. I think it's just their generic spec as showed below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Axxess AXDSPX-HN3 specs: bypass amp on 12 speaker audio of Sport Touring/Type R? 1596229448888

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I doubt it. I think it's just their generic spec as showed be
Sure, it's possible it's a generic spec and I misunderstood. Maybe the head unit communicates fade/balance and subwoofer levels to the amplifier and it processes the channels based on that.

In any case, it still doesn't mean you have to retain the OEM amplifier. In the video about the interface they explicitly say you don't have to retain the OEM amplifier.

The problem here is you can't retain it if you want. The optical and signal wires plug into the Axxess interface and you have nothing left to plug into the OEM amp.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sure, it's possible it's a generic spec and I misunderstood. Maybe the head unit communicates fade/balance and subwoofer levels to the amplifier and it processes the channels based on that.

In any case, it still doesn't mean you have to retain the OEM amplifier. In the video about the interface they explicitly say you don't have to retain the OEM amplifier.

The problem here is you can't retain it if you want. The optical and signal wires plug into the Axxess interface and you have nothing left to plug into the OEM amp.
It does look like they don't provide the connectors to plug back into the amp so you might right. If that's the case, then I'm very interested in this. But I'm waiting for someone to TOFTT and report back. :cool:

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
It does look like they don't provide the connectors to plug back into the amp so you might right. If that's the case, then I'm very interested in this. But I'm waiting for someone to TOFTT and report back. :cool:
It's actually kind of inconvenient to me because I don't want the hassle and to add the weight of running amp power wires and installing amps somewhere in the coupe cabin, but I want the rest of the benefits of the interface like full control over every channel's crossover and equalizer and abolishing the factory DSP.

I would have already bought it if I didn't have to buy and install discrete amps to use it.

Maybe there's room up in the passenger kick panel to place some of the amps for the lower power channels like the tweeters, so only the woofers and subwoofer amps get put under seats or something.

Last edited:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's actually kind of inconvenient to me because I don't want the hassle and to add the weight of running amp power wires and installing amps somewhere in the coupe cabin, but I want the rest of the benefits of the interface like full control over every channel's crossover and equalizer and abolishing the factory DSP.

I would have already bought it if I didn't have to buy and install discrete amps to use it.

Maybe there's room up in the passenger kick panel to place some of the amps for the lower power channels like the tweeters, so only the woofers and subwoofer amps get put under seats or something.
Yeah I know what you mean. Would be nice if someone could figure out how to do DSP_FLAT with the premium amp. Even so, I think I still would want to ditch the factory amp since it probably won't compare nicely to aftermarket amps.

I'm not really interested in all the crossover and equalizer bits since I think those are all overkill in a mobile environment. Give me a flat two channel source feeding a good 4-channel amp and I'll be happy.

OP
OP

bernardos70

First Name
Bernardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I spoke to an installer today and he told me the bypass didn't mean we would have to amplify every channel. For example, he could leave the center channel on the factory amp for navigation for example.

If that's the case, I'm definitely getting this once it is back in stock. I just need to figure out whether sonic electronix will charge me or not while it is still backordered, or if they will only charge me once it ships.
Sponsored